U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:18 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,281,254 times

Advertisements

The older I get (56) and the more I want to retire, the less I relate to people who prefer to be at work, than being able to make their own schedule. A 74 year old coworker who drives two hours each way to work, told me the other day he wouldn't be happy if he wasn't working. Sorry, just my opinion, but I think that's sad.

Of course, if people want to work until they die, that's on them. They're happy in their world.

While I won't do it -- recently finding out that you can tap your 401k before 59 1/2 without penalty (under certain conditions), just buoyed my spirit. Made me feel good just hearing it's possible and knowing it's an option. Thank you my CD friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Interesting comment...Just curious--where do you live?
Montreal

Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 AM

1,040 posts, read 485,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Montreal
I've never been there so not sure what it offers.
I'm in NYC so I plan to have my time filled with things like outdoor chess, hiking in different boroughs, meditation meetings, volunteer events, weekly lunch with a friend, movies, classes at Hunter College or The New School....Time will tell if that satisfies me...not sure if Montreal offers any of that or if any of that appeals to you...I'm 50 now and honestly I feel like I need less and require less stimulation than i did even 5 years ago...

Old 10-17-2016, 10:28 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
i love montreal , took a photography based trip there last year

Old 10-17-2016, 11:09 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,281,254 times
I assure Montreal, being a major international city, offers plenty.
What's generally expected from a city of its population and status.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:11 AM

56,083 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
I'm in NYC so I plan to have my time filled with things like outdoor chess, hiking in different boroughs, meditation meetings, volunteer events, weekly lunch with a friend, movies, classes at Hunter College or The New School....Time will tell if that satisfies me...not sure if Montreal offers any of that or if any of that appeals to you...I'm 50 now and honestly I feel like I need less and require less stimulation than i did even 5 years ago...
Great plans. Worked in the city most of my life but didn't see half of what I wanted to.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:31 AM

6,226 posts, read 5,360,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Sitting around all day with nothing to do is a choice. It's a big world out there. There are plenty of other options besides working and sitting around the house doing nothing.
There are people out there whom their lives revolved around their work. They never really got to develop too many hobbies or interests, and now that work is gone they feel empty.

It really does not matter the geographical location that you retire in. You can easily sit around and be bored in your big city apartment as you could in some house in a rural area. It's all up to you.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The older I get (56) and the more I want to retire, the less I relate to people who prefer to be at work, than being able to make their own schedule. A 74 year old coworker who drives two hours each way to work, told me the other day he wouldn't be happy if he wasn't working. Sorry, just my opinion, but I think that's sad.

Of course, if people want to work until they die, that's on them. They're happy in their world.

While I won't do it -- recently finding out that you can tap your 401k before 59 1/2 without penalty (under certain conditions), just buoyed my spirit. Made me feel good just hearing it's possible and knowing it's an option. Thank you my CD friends!
(Don't forget the 72t, as well as the age 55 rule, you can split up 72ts into different IRAs from a 401k roll) everything has a few rules... but we can play within the rules

Yep, Flexibility to make your own schedule / priority is very great (I am SO thankful for 40 yrs of 'Flex time'... spoiled for life)

There are a lot of things to fill the 'Work' / career void, and USA has vast opportunities
. (Which is good, because we have pretty poor 'social' relationships which other countries benefit from, especially in the elder years.) It was so refreshing to witness the 'other' world, where families, and friendships are more valued and exercised. When we lived in Spain (and Asia), it is very common to have the elder guys and elder gals out having a great time at anytime of the day, also helping with community projects and entertaining and teaching kids and such.

In Europe, the row of occupied baby strollers sitting outside the stores gets plenty of attention from the elder people recreating in the town square. In the USA we would be under a threat of a 'lawsuit' / violation for comforting someone else's kid in a stroller on a public street. Even their dogs are much friendlier ! I enjoyed time at the Menz Sheds in NZ and AU where guys get together and share activities / projects / health education. Often there are after school and weekend events that merge generations and mentoring.

I'm also SO glad my grandparents raised me and taught me a lot of skills that I pass on frequently.
I'm talking spending thousands of hours with them in the kitchen, milk parlor, garden, root cellar, workshop, (around the piano...), community building and fundraising, helping neighbors build barns & fences & homes; and our Saturdays that were 100% dedicated to helping the 'elderly'(?) (G&G were pretty elderly themselves!) / shut-ins / neighbors (even though as farmers we were very BUSY). Of course Sundays were a day off, excluding caring for the animals and milking 2x / day. So the other 5 days / week were quite productive! (During G&G's 'retirement') When grandpa was age 93 the cows got out of the fence ONCE too often. The next morning they were all GONE (all 70 taken to the sale barn!)

My retired friends in a Del Webb community do some amazing 'community / skill building' events incorporating / training / nurturing their grandkids and others. Tough for them to find time to lay around the pool, and no time for TV, or video games when visiting G&G.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-17-2016 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 01:23 PM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
to much like work lol , not for us ,that is for sure .

Old 10-17-2016, 02:03 PM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
While the city offers everything any big city offers most of the available activities i'm not interested in.
coupled with mobility issues eliminates anything that includes walking more than 50ft, all those things you list will end up not taking up as much time as you think they will and you will end up with large gaps in your days when theres just nothing to do.At the moment i do an hour at the gymn everyday,swimming twice a week and a chair yoga class twice a week ,do lunch with friends a couple of times a week and that all takes up about 10% of my time.
One thing i never gave a moments thought about before retiring was my wife not retiring for another 12 years after i retired, also most of my friends never got the bonus of a lucrative company pension so they are all working till they die.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-17-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or