Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,323,935 times

Advertisements

55% of Americans surveyed consider retiring their most important milestone in life, eight times more desired than becoming a millionare:
Attached Thumbnails
Americans just wanna have retirement-retire01.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 09:01 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Doesn't surprise me - once you have the financial security to no longer work (what retirement technically is - not based on age necessarily) that's the very definition of having "made it."

Old 10-16-2016, 09:04 PM

110 posts, read 160,757 times
I would have landed in the 43% bucket as my mortgage was with me so long I want to just get rid of it. After I paid it off it wan't the lift I thought it would be. Millionaire status never even crossed my mind. However now retirement is all I think about so I guess it would depend on when I was surveyed.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,602 posts, read 57,568,971 times
correct:
AMERICANS want RETIREMENT (As promoted / surveyed by AMERI-prise Financial)

The concept of 'Retirement' is judged by cross cultural studies as a "Confounding Behavior / Variable" / even incomprehensible' by some.

I expect retirement will be viewed in history as just another fad.

I hope I don't vomit on the next (Ameriprise) financial planner who starts the conversation; "Now to enjoy the retirement for which you have worked so hard, and NOW DESERVE..." (while they are salivating over the balances in the 401k Rollover)

Old 10-17-2016, 03:44 AM

105,860 posts, read 107,820,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
55% of Americans surveyed consider retiring their most important milestone in life, eight times more desired than becoming a millionare:
1 million may not be enough to retire . so wishing for a million may not mean the retirement you want . i would not have retired here in ny on just a million , 35-40k with ss pretax in income would not cut it for us .

by saying retiring and not an excact number it means you made that level of income you desire . it could be many millions needed for some or zero for others with a juicy pension .. you are not looking at the term retiring in the entire picture .

someone with a million bucks and someone with a 40k pension and no savings can see the same cash flowin retirement .

Old 10-17-2016, 05:13 AM

6,554 posts, read 7,010,705 times
Quote:
Not much to start a thread on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
correct:
AMERICANS want RETIREMENT (As promoted / surveyed by AMERI-prise Financial)

The concept of 'Retirement' is judged by cross cultural studies as a "Confounding Behavior / Variable" / even incomprehensible' by some.

I expect retirement will be viewed in history as just another fad.

I hope I don't vomit on the next (Ameriprise) financial planner who starts the conversation; "Now to enjoy the retirement for which you have worked so hard, and NOW DESERVE..." (while they are salivating over the balances in the 401k Rollover)
Since I am an Ameriprise customer I know what you are saying. I don't have much there but what I do has been doing well. I have not let them talk me into buying products that are not right for us.

On retirement being a fad though I wouldn't go quite to the point that no one retires but I will say that it might become less fashionable and be like waves. As long as we have a retirement system like SS it will be that way.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:36 AM

105,860 posts, read 107,820,907 times
Quote:
but half of americans make very little effort to secure that retirement nor the million dollars ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-17-2016 at 05:53 AM..

Old 10-17-2016, 05:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,323,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but half of americans make very little effort to secure that retirement .

Inspired by Clint Eastwood, awareness of my limitations leads me to seek the tiny house that will allow me to enjoy a modest lifestyle in retirement, but government would rather I be a rent slave enriching some landlord than own that tiny house.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:15 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,830,482 times
In february2018, I'll retire with a 2000 $ / month pension and 500.000 $ in Financial assets (house and car paid for). Not wealthy by a long shot, but enough to have a comfortable life in the countryside and snowbird to somewhere warm in winter. I'm not asking for more. Let the Joneses have their blingbling retirement LOL

Old 10-17-2016, 06:25 AM

44,990 posts, read 59,968,393 times
Quote:
Inspired by Clint Eastwood, awareness of my limitations leads me to seek the tiny house that will allow me to enjoy a modest lifestyle in retirement, but government would rather I be a rent slave enriching some landlord than own that tiny house.

Aaaannnnndddd, once again it becomes about your, I emphasize your, choices over the last 30 years leavened with blaming the government for having rules controlling properties from becoming slums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement