Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 04:43 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,086,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your father was an honorable man and a role model based on your description. We need more of him. Combine his character with correct philosophical training, and we would have a country that would blow away the rest of the world in terms of achievement, progress, wealth, and quality. Not to mention a population that would save for a fabulous retirement from the first day they worked because it would be part of the basic training. But instead, we have the Kant-Kennedy-Europe model. It's a utter and unspeakable tragedy.
Okay how do you resolve the Kennedy administration to today's "ME ME" society? It seems to me that Kennedy's original quote which you seemed to twist to your own purposes spoke quite eloquently that instead of thinking of yourself first that you see what needs to be done around you. It inspired a number of young men and women to reach for the moon. To reach for that impossible dream of ending suffering. It inspired many men and women to serve their country in the military. That same feeling went on well into subsequent presidential administrations. I believe that the change came somewhere between George H W Bush and William Jefferson Clinton administrations. I believe that the "ME FIRST" feeling came out of that time frame when instead of striving for the betterment of mankind. it became a betterment of my life. I think you should do a bit more research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 06:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Ah yes ... the GI Generation ... what a bunch of "collectivist swine" and all that.

Sacrifice if for wusses and commies.

Lookin' out for #1!

In page after page of this self-confidence and life-enhancing bible, bestselling author Robert Ringer guides you on the most exciting and rewarding journey of your life. This #1 bestseller will clearly demonstrate how to get from where you are now to where you want to be--with friends, lovers, finances, and all other areas of your personal world.

Looking Out for #1 by Robert J. Ringer

Old 10-25-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Throughout our working years, we watched others at about our income level buy lavish houses, new cars every other year, take extensive vacations and other .... and wondered, "How in the world do they afford that?"

But, when it came to early retirement, we had no debt, a paid-off mortgage, a strong income, college and wedding for the kids paid-off and a comfortable investment/cash position. Eight years into retirement, we've lived comfortably, traveled extensively, stayed busy and still haven't tapped into IRA's or 403b's and will not do so until RMD's kick-in. Meanwhile, many of our high-rolling peers continued to work for several years -- some finally retiring with significant mortgages and debt.

IMO, the key to the successful retirement many claim to want -- is living within one's means, planning and saving (rather than simply hoping for the best) -- and avoiding an excessive debt load. Beyond financial considerations, it helps to have a life outside of the job prior to retirement.

How do you pull that off when your income is low and rent consumes half your income?

Old 10-25-2016, 06:46 AM

106,630 posts, read 108,773,903 times
why do you keep asking us ? it is your problem to deal with and figure out . the answer to how ? is don't let yourself be put in that position .

retirement is the furthest option you have . why even bring it up ?
just sayin .

Old 10-25-2016, 10:27 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How do you pull that off when your income is low and rent consumes half your income?
Simple. Become more valuable to others and up your game. The income will rise and the problem will be solved. Up your game. Become more valuable.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Simple. Become more valuable to others and up your game. The income will rise and the problem will be solved. Up your game. Become more valuable.

I have $15k of stuff I cannot sell because I rent and therefore my use of the property is impaired.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
why do you keep asking us ? it is your problem to deal with and figure out . the answer to how ? is don't let yourself be put in that position .

retirement is the furthest option you have . why even bring it up ?
just sayin .

It can be exasperating (ex + aspirating) when people casually toss out easy solutions that aren't feasible to poor people. It's not good to be exasperated.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Few were born with a platinum spoon... even a silver spoon.

The SF Bay Area is a draw for immigrants with many starting with next to nothing and it is amazing just how far many have gone...

Old 10-25-2016, 01:59 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Quote:
I have $15k of stuff I cannot sell because I rent and therefore my use of the property is impaired.
Hmmmm, wasn't it $10K and weren't you getting a smartphone to sell this stuff?

Old 10-25-2016, 02:29 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
It can be exasperating (ex + aspirating) when people casually toss out easy solutions that aren't feasible to poor people. It's not good to be exasperated.
Is that what you find exasperating? Others find it exasperating that no matter how many times it is pointed out to you that your choices are yours, you cannot seem to grasp this concept.

Last edited by Petunia 100; 10-25-2016 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement