U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 PM

15,209 posts, read 8,513,923 times

Advertisements

How is your motivation different now than before? You will have to get down to at least 15% bodyfat for "rock hard abs"...is that REALLY what you're after? Vanity or health....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 02:32 PM

4,022 posts, read 2,605,489 times
I don't know about rock hard abs but some people do lose weight in retirement and keep it off. My Dad lost about 30 pounds and kept it off for the rest of his life He had a desk job that was stressful. Once that was gone and he had more time to exercise, he lost the weight. He also improved his eating habits too.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:31 PM

306 posts, read 219,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
How is your motivation different now than before? You will have to get down to at least 15% bodyfat for "rock hard abs"...is that REALLY what you're after? Vanity or health....?
You can get rock-hard abs with higher body fat, but no one will see it. If you want that visible 6-pack though, you'll probably have to get into the single digit body fat range.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:45 PM

662 posts, read 477,238 times
^just to clarify: only males can get six-packs naturally. Women with six-packs are using some sort of drug to make it happen.

So, in truth, I didn't have a "six pack"....but I took the OPs post as intentionally asking all, thus, for females, it's just a tight, flat stomach.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 PM

7,627 posts, read 4,686,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
And I want to say that I have issues with my spine. Go slow at the beginning. Listen to your body and stop if the pain is "bad" pain vs. "good" pain. DO stretch before and after....ever so gently.
Please heed what this woman says.

I don't trust myself to work out unsupervised. That's how I got hurt before. I train with an RN. She doesn't let me do anything stupid.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:52 PM

13,213 posts, read 6,313,926 times
I lost 10 lbs in less than 2 months. My blood work is the best. I think you can do it. Do some exercise, I just walk every morning with my husband.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:17 PM

2,206 posts, read 930,610 times
I can answer this better in six months. I just retired yesterday from a very high stress management job and am looking forward to no stress and actually not sitting in meetings all day. I'll be 62 in a few months and am way too heavy. So,we shall see how I do. I start walking tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:10 PM

588 posts, read 344,483 times
When I filed for divorce against my then husband he lost a little weight. He stood 6'2" and 265 pds and a great deal of it was stomach fat that hung from his waist. I do not know why he decided to lose the gut and get physically healthy but he did and went down to 155 pds in a little over a year. We divorced three years and one half years ago, he began the weight loss program at Weight Watchers three years ago, I am sorry to say that that much weight loss now makes him look like an old man. 10 years ago he was a real looker. Now, I don't recognize him.

He said he wanted to be the same weight he was when he first come to this country. That was when he was 21. He is now 58 and lost the weight beginning at 55.

He lost the weight but now is manic about what he eats, when he eats, how he eats, where he eats, you get the picture. Exercise is the same.

He just went back to working a job that will have him working at a very high stress, long hour job after three and one half years of working part time. I do not know if he will be able to keep up the weight loss and be able to cope with the job. He is too thin now and was too fat before. Do I think he has a eating disorder. I think so but that is me. Others would think he did the extraordinary feat of losing over 100 pds.

Did nothing for his temper though. All the weight loss in the world will not change what that is doing to his heart. I talk to him about once a week these days. So I know.

If I were to counsel anyone on weight loss...start now. It is a discipline and the discipline does not get any easier as we move to old age. It can be done. Oh, but it ain't easy. I went from 152 pounds to 125 pounds but it took me a year to do it and to keep it off is a battle. I waver from 129 to 133 up to 135 (water weight from crazy hormones still) and I am 61 years of age. I have cut out salt, sugar, desert, carbos, pop, milk, rich foods, eating out, and I exercise. Still I have lost my ass and have gained weight around my waist line. I am much leaner than most of the other women I meet that are in my age group but I am keeping under 135 to keep a tendency toward diabetes at bay.

Start now, as a man, you will see more of an improvement in less time because of mens' higher metabolism, however it is not a magic bullet. And I do not recommend anyone doing what my ex did. The skin just hangs from his face. He lost the weight too fast and way too much in my very humble opinion. But who am I? Just someone who knew him when.

TMKSarah

Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 PM

13,213 posts, read 6,313,926 times
I lost inches in my belly. My face is now taunt. I sleep very quiet now. I think all due to weight loss. I still need to lose another 10lbs to get back to the weight I was before my last job. Then I need to lose another 10lbs to get back to the weight after kid #1. By then I will stop. I will be happy with my weight.
The trick for me is to eat lots of fish and begs. No carb. But I still lose weight if I eat a sandwich here and there.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:41 PM

6,000 posts, read 6,846,979 times
I work out several times a day. I reach out and push or pull the arm on the recliner when nobody is around to get me things. Then I bend my elbow numerous times putting the ice cream spoon in my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement