U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:51 AM

3,149 posts, read 3,085,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I did it. But it took a whole lot of dedication, and I looked (see the past tense?....illness has currently changed my shape) better than I did at 25. But as a woman, I can tell you that the attention I got was very, VERY disconcerting, and frankly some of it was downright abusive.
So interesting you say that... I think I've had this issue all my life whenever I've lost weight. Most of the life I would be about 10 to 15 lbs overweight, after 40 it was more and then after 50 it was more and it was harder!
But there were always times in my life when I've gone on a diet, or started exercising more etc. and it seems as soon as someone noticed, or when I got started getting more attention from men I felt uncomfortable and without really deciding conscientiously, I would put the weight back on. I was more aware of it the last time it happened. I've always worked in restaurants, and when I lost some weight a fellow server of the opposite sex started commenting on my A$$!! For heaven's sake I'm married and in my 50's! It's always so weird, and I've also noticed, I just don't like "attention". Some women love it, but I don't.

Anyway, back on topic... Good luck to the OP! I'm in a sort of non official retirement at the moment and darn it, I'm really a naturally sedentary person. I can feel my body melting already! I'm so used to getting exercise from my previous jobs (running around serving food) that it never really required "discipline". I had to show up, and then was thrown to the hungry wolves. Brisk walking, carrying trays and plates and bringing equipment out from the back etc. etc. will keep the calories burning (even if I still carried extra weight)

As I get older though, I really want to just stay "healthy"!! So far I'm doing alright... the knees though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:54 AM

30,677 posts, read 49,430,310 times
This spring I started doing a fast-pace 2 mile walk 3 times a week. I believe that it has helped to give me energy.

I was reading about 'planking' that it is supposed to help with the belly. I have a pulled muscle in my shoulder now, so maybe when this gets better I may try planking.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:01 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
Do Spanx count?

Old 10-20-2016, 10:10 AM

6,662 posts, read 26,292,141 times
I am 57 and retired.
I lost 6 inches in the belt and 40 pounds in the last couple years.
I quit drinking soda, I only drink black tea with lemon and no sugar.
I walk my dog 3 to 5 miles a day.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:41 AM

14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times
I lost ten pounds after I retired last year and have managed to keep it off. I want to lose 15 more pounds. It's really hard to do when your husband has an ice cream monkey on his back and wants to feed his addiction and drag you down with him. I went kicking and screaming and enjoyed every spoonful. Then I rode my bike for two hours after walking the dogs for an hour. It was a windy night and the gusts almost blew me off the bike, but if you play, you have to pay.

I have to cut the carbs again and eat more veggies. The sugar addiction is strong with me but the desire to be fit is stronger. Yes my belly is still larger then I'd like, but I haven't felt this good in years. Ice skating season is starting up again and I discovered bowling a few weeks ago. I will miss my bike rides but I will be just as active in the winter as I was in the summer.

I've accepted that I will never have a super model body, nor do I want to be anorexic to get it. I'll find a happy medium of being fit and a little belly fat, just not as much as I have now.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:47 AM

588 posts, read 344,392 times
Default Planking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
This spring I started doing a fast-pace 2 mile walk 3 times a week. I believe that it has helped to give me energy.

I was reading about 'planking' that it is supposed to help with the belly. I have a pulled muscle in my shoulder now, so maybe when this gets better I may try planking.
I did not do "planking" until I was really fit with the help of a very good personal trainer. Sure it is good for the stomach BUT the rest of your body must have the muscle to keep to that position. I would not even attempt planking until the rest of your body can do leg curls, lunges, upper body strength training etc. or you will pull the tendons in your back first. Really, it is a hard position. I do not think I could do a plank now and I am in still pretty good shape with the dump bells I use for upper body strength, the constant walking I do as I work in a restaurant, and I walk a Jack Russell dog 3X a day minimum.

TMKSarah

Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,605,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Professional View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(wiping eyes)

Old 10-20-2016, 11:07 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,568,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'd get a full physical exam including EKG before trying to undo those years of being sedentary. I also have your testosterone level checked if you're in your 50s. It might make a difference in your energy levels and motivation to get fit. It may also explain why you might be unable to lose body weight despite exercising.
Classic response for this age of over-managed healthcare. You don't need medical tests, you need to get out and exercise.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:17 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,568,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Professional View Post
If you were out of shape physically the day you retired, did you get in great shape physically once you stopped working?
Not really.

Your daily habits don't magically change because you retire. People who had a work-out schedule before retirement tend to have one after retirement and those who didn't before still don't after.

I am more active after retiring but it is nothing scheduled or planned. I just get out more and do stuff (surfing in my case). But I also have not lost weight, in fact I have gained a bit. Not sure why. I did not have a regular workout schedule before retiring, always too busy with work. Or at least that was my excuse. My excuse now is that retiring is supposed to be fun and I don't find going to the gym to be fun and besides, I am active in other ways.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:23 AM

87 posts, read 53,293 times
Super Pro,
I dropped 25 lbs and got much fitter and healthier post-retirement (mostly after 59) by moderate exercise, moderating carbs (I still really like bread and rice) and portion control. My sense was the diet did most of the weight loss but the exercise improved the general fitness, pressure, pulse rate, etc.
No sign of a six pack, but they would be surprising at 62. I am just shy of 6 foot and now around 188 lbs, so quite happy but finding the exercise harder to continue. My body is really good at finding short cuts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement