U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times

Advertisements

just shy of 6 foot and now around 188 lbs...

Oh no!!!

Australia To Reinstate Imperial Measurement System The Shovel

After all the efforts of 40 + yrs...
yet last yr while doing a remodel in NSW I was buying 1200 x 2400 x 10 or 13mm Gyprock...Gyprock Standard Plasterboard for residential and commercial walls and ceilings - Gyprock

now THAT was hard to find the right word for... not gypsum, not sheet rock, not drywall. ONLY Gyprock or no-one had a clue.

Hanging Gyprock gives you HARD abs (I KNOW cuz I am WAY too old for that!)

I built my last US house using metric... contractors were NOT impressed but... no mistakes! (and no fractions)
1.8m x 73kg here (with a (small) six-pak...) (and it is now WINTER,,, wish I were THERE)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-21-2016 at 02:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 04:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,239,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Classic response for this age of over-managed healthcare. You don't need medical tests, you need to get out and exercise.
Busted. Sorry, my Masters Degree in Acute Care/Cardiac Nursing crept in. Must have been all those heart attack and bypass surgery patients who I care for during my working years.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:58 AM

9,593 posts, read 10,942,364 times
I'm 73. I eat what I wish; I despise exercise for its own sake. I look at the quality of life, not the quantity. I don't care if I'm overweight.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:21 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,513,899 times
I want to work on dropping weight and eating better too at age 61 in ''semi-retirement''. It's hard though because when you first have a totally ''laid back lifestyle'' you sometimes go overboard with this sense of freedom from ''have tos''.
I was working 2 very physically active part-time jobs last year and now I am working ''cerebral'' jobs. Man have I become a sloth!
I sit and nap too much and even neglect my dog walking now. Not me at all.
I pick up a bike next week and our apartment complex has a work out room, so I am planning to get my butt moving. My dogs are giving me the ''hairy eye'' too and I love walking them.
We've got parks and walking/biking trails galore around here plus healthy groceries across the street.
I've got no excuse and this thread is very inspiring!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,239,955 times
I'd say don't overdo it to a point of being in agony or bringing on injury or where it becomes a job that you dread. Gradual and light to start. I know a lot of middle-agers who did well for their physical well-being by getting a decent pair of walking shoes, tennis shoes and making a brisk walk 30 mins a day their routine. Some lost drastic weight by that and sensible eating, portion control.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:54 AM

3,466 posts, read 1,544,827 times
I have read several times that once the abdominal fat is gone, abs will be visible. This just isn't so for most people. H is 6' and 135 lbs.---painfully skinny. No abs whatsoever. He is flabby too---how weird is that. He used to have a physical job---now is sedentary, but no difference either way. What he consumes makes no difference either. I've seen plenty of skinny guys over the years, no abs.

I have come to the conclusion that it is next to impossible to fight our genetics. I think all you can do is become a smaller version of yourself...but that's just my opinion, based on my experience and observations.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 AM

12,951 posts, read 8,774,824 times
You look at old Asian folks why they are skinny and not fat with a pot belly without going to the gym. It's the diet.

A diet high in processed food will ensure that pot belly is well preserved.

Asians frequently drink bitter black tea like oolong tea. It's both a fat burner and has tons of anti-oxidants with anti-aging effects.

Another thing is most traditional Asians eat a lot of probiotic foods instead of eating foods high in preservatives.

Many Americans take too much drugs, they also causes weight gain because they change the biology of your stomach and digestive tract. Without good biology in your system, your body can't properly digest many foods that are left over in your body.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
...Without good biology in your system, your body can't properly digest many foods that are left over in your body.
So That's the problem.... as an engineer, I was never too good with Biology.

I definitely have bad biology in my system (between my ears)

Can you get GOOD biology from Amazon? (come on ABS!) (When I was young... my 20 ft tapeworm kept the flab down) He must be hibernating after age 50, so I better find some biology.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:45 PM

5,595 posts, read 5,115,364 times
That pot belly is the sign of a heart attack waiting to happen. Why on EARTH would you flirt with disaster by planning to live until retirement before you start exercising?

Last year I took a good long hard look at my meno-pot and made a commitment. I ioined the gym and I actually GO to the gym. I'm not going for rock hard abs, I'm looking towards forming habits that will last the rest of my life. As far as I'm concerned, the water exercise, yoga, and low impact aerobics classes I'm doing now...I'll be doing them 30 years from now.

Exercise will never be easier than it is TODAY. Just do it.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:48 PM

6,652 posts, read 3,761,413 times
I dropped a bit of weight after retirement, but was in normal range before. I upped my walking program to daily from 2 or 3 times a week. But the biggest change I made was: I had the time to eat right. No more frozen dinners for lunch at work, grabbing a quick bite at work with coworkers, stopping by the grocery store to pick up whatever for dinner.

IT'S MAINLY WHAT YOU EAT. Do some internet research on healthy ways to eat (there's more than one way), and decide on what appeals to you most, and do it. (For me, I don't eat beef or pork, I eat lots of fresh and frozen fruit w/o sugar, only eat sugary things at holidays, force myself to eat veggies occasionally, chicken, VERY LITTLE PROCESSED FOOD).

As for your belly, that is difficult. I, too, tend to get a roll when I gain weight. It's a hard area to lose in.

1. That belly fat is mainly just fat. When you lose weight, that belly will go down down down.
2. After you lose some weight and feel more comfortable with your body, you may want to consider liposuction. There are just some areas of the body that are almost impossible to get really trim, even if you trim up all over. Your body may just have more fat cells in the abdomen area. Liposuction costs money, but is worth it. Of course, you won't know just what your belly fat issue is until you lose weight. You have to lose weight FIRST.

Exercise alone won't cause you to lose weight. It takes a LOT of exercise to work off a couple of pieces of cake. IT'S MAINLY EATING that causes gaining or losing weight. It's a lot easier not eating the cake than trying to work it off.

But exercise can help you firm up and get fit, besides making you healthy. Walking is great for general health (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.). No jogging necessary. Just a daily walk.

Working out with weights will build muscle and help to lose weight, because muscle takes more calories to maintain than fat. It also helps with firming up.

I did aerobics for years (moderately) and never noticed that it helped me to lose weight. It helped with my energy level and general fitness, but it was very hard to do, very taxing, for the results I got.

Be careful not to injure your back or knees. I used to do stomach crunches but gave them up, when I realized that they were putting too much pressure on my back and causing me some trouble. If I feel pain (other than muscle pain or mild pressure from stretching), I stop.

In retirement there is TIME to be healthy. It takes time to plan things, do things, eat well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement