U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 02:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times

Advertisements

sage advice -couldn't rep you...thanks for taking the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 07:14 AM

284 posts, read 259,870 times
I'm retiring in a couple months and am really looking forward to having time to focus on getting in some kinda shape. Doubt I'll ever have rock hard abs, cause I never had them even at 20! But that's ok...I'd just like to get healthy and lose about 30 pounds! We're moving to an active adult type community and bought a house that came with a pool perfect for swimming laps. Never been much of a gym rat, but love the water and doing stuff outdoors. I think our new place has so many fun activities to get involved in like hiking trails and a hiking club, kayaking, golf, pickle ball that getting in shape will seem more like play and not a chore. It probably is an excuse, but part of my problem has been that I'm tired when I get off work, bored with our surroundings and just not very motivated to do the same old exercise routines anymore. We'll see if the change helps, but right now I can't wait to give this new lifestyle a go!!

Old 10-22-2016, 11:11 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Default Anyone here go from pot belly to rock hard abs after retirement?

I retired at 62 and at 63 we moved from a city on the left coast to a rural environment in the Ozarks. I promptly lost 60 pounds from hard work in and around the house and watching what I ate. No rock hard abs nor did I really care or want them. After a neurological disorder that limited my activity level I gained back 45 of those pounds and recently lost them as well. Gonna do my best to keep them off.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:25 PM

10,522 posts, read 8,773,196 times
No, i did that in my 60s. I semi-retired at 73.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:56 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,369,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What will be your lifestyle / exercise options? I love swimming and ice cream . Ice cream is more accessible, (grocery store 5 miles away). Swimming is tough (50 mile drive to a 50m pool).

Keep it DOWN now!
Firm it up NOW.

Rock Hard Pot Belly Balloon is real tough to 'downsize'

reducing calories to match activities is key, taxing exercise essential.

Walking is great for maintaining, so the sooner you get to 'maintenance' shape the easier it will be.

Thanksgiving and Christmas and Valentine's Day are rough on your physique. Get physical
Ok I'm not retired but I'd like to add that a great trick during the holidays is to have taste substitutes. I make smoothies that taste like the naughty dish I like and it cuts down on calorie intake while allowing you to feel part of things. Top 10 Healthy Holiday Smoothie Recipes - Incredible Smoothies Those are my go to splurges! I also enjoy making sweet potato crustless pie in glass desert cups! The crust is the worst in terms of calories so ditch it and you can eat without guilt. You can pile on your plate at the holidays by going for the low cal veggies first! Not potatoes but green beans, carrots! NOT candied yams but brussel sprouts and a bit of cranberry sauce. To work off holiday stress, go out in the crisp part of the morning and do a walk or jog at the prettiest park or beach or trail near you. Take in the majesty, greet your fellow joggers, and you'll be filled with the milk of human kindness and NOT want to eat crazy to feel that bonding. Good luck OP! It took me 2-3 yrs to cultivate better habits and whittle my jelly belly down. My goal is to be like Ernie someday. 79 years young!!!! MEET ERNESTINE | Ernestine Shepherd

Old 10-23-2016, 01:30 PM

23,613 posts, read 17,598,460 times
Most people aren't going to get rock hard abs in their 60s,especially if they've never trained

Old 10-23-2016, 06:04 PM

1,137 posts, read 571,069 times
I tried to go from pot belly to rock hard abs once...
She told me to go away.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:32 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I tried to go from pot belly to rock hard abs once...
She told me to go away.
Very clever, and funny too.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
At almost 68 I've lost 25 lb since last January from adopting a plant based, low glycemic diet (really tough for a sweeta-holic). I also eliminated 95% of gluten sources, gluten can mess up digestion and absorption in some people. Eliminated all wheat, breads, wheat pasta, anything baked with flour. Belly nearly flat. A moderate walk several times a week and some home stationery biking and mini trampoline is it for me. The gym put more parts of me out of place that were in place before, and yes I had a trainer. For others the gym works wonders.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:05 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,445,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Do Spanx count?

Those things don't work - it's lipo or nothing, I've concluded !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement