Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 06:35 AM

32 posts, read 148,035 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving to either state. Both are beautiful with proximity to what we require (culture, healthcare, water, temperate weather). I'd like to hear from those of you really familiar with both states as to their differences-- cost of living, safety, vibe, any and everything that you think may help us make the decision. We're retired so jobs don't play a role, but economy and schools are obvious factors in quality of life. I've already identified comparably priced housing from Spotsylvania cty to Anne Arunndel cty which is appealing, but would appreciate insight from those of you who've lived in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
To me, they seem a lot alike. I think VA is more conservative and tax aversive but I know people who are not very happy with VA's deteriorating infrastructure from the anti-tax brigade. The rural areas of MD are pretty conservative too. The tax structures are different and MD just had a tax increase in almost everything. I don't live in the areas you mentioned. MD has some focus on a clean environment. I think rural areas are probably pretty safe in either state, less so in the urban areas in both states. MD does have some tax decreases for retirees. Don't know about VA. I've enjoyed living in MD but I don't intend to spend my retirement here for other reasons. I don't want to go to VA either. VA has a little more southern mentality to it than MD but I think the differences are slight until you get to the southern parts of VA. Both places surrounding DC have so many transplants from all over the world, it isn't easy to characterize it.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks, Tesaje. Do you know anything about the Annapolis area?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic girl View Post
Thanks, Tesaje. Do you know anything about the Annapolis area?
Not a lot. Like I said, I'm not over in that area. I do know some people who like it so much they commute into the DC area every day by car. The climate is milder than on the west side of DC.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I lived in Anne Arundel County. I would not live there in retirement although it was a perfectly fine place to live when I was working/commuting. Annapolis (about 20 minutes away) was where I went for the hospital and to go to the mall but that's about it. I'm just not a city person. For me, Annapolis was too crowded and you had to twist my arm to go into DC on the weekend after commuting all week. Then, there are the tourists...

Northern Virginia = TOO MUCH TRAFFIC = Shoot Me Now!

It's expensive to live in both states, okay when you're working but you can do better in retirement, elsewhere.

The area between Annapolis and DC and the area between Frederick and DC are highly transient. People live there for a few years and leave. It's job related. Many are government contractors or higher graded government workers who come for a few years, later in their careers, to work in their agency's headquarters and move away when it's time to retire.

Frankly, I found it to be a less than desirable place for holidays and events. Because they live in the shadow of DC, smaller towns tend to do nothing when it comes to celebrations/parades/festivals. Because many people are "not from there" they tend to "go home" during Christmas time (when longtime government workers have use or lose leave to burn).

But, did I mention the traffic in Northern Virginia?

Now the area in Maryland closer to West Virginia, that's the nice part of the state, in my opinion. Rolling hills, farms, beautiful. Not much to do there in retirement, I'd imagine.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:50 PM

14 posts, read 73,812 times
I went to college and lived in Maryland in the '80s. Now I live and work in Virginia (for twenty years now). Both states have good and not so good areas, with the difference that living in Maryland can be a little more expensive. Both also have rural areas where not much goes on, you mentioned spotsylvania Co. I owned a lake home at lake Anna some ten years ago, it was too quiet, but it might suit you for retirement. If you can afford it, take a look at the Great Falls area, one side of the Potomac is Maryland and the other Virginia, both excellent places to own a home.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Thanks, starbucks & LauraC, though I'm not looking for bucolic, quiet retirement. We like to be in a stimulating environment -- visually as well as intellectually. Right now I'm living in many people's concept of an ideal retirement golf community near the ocean, and it is BORING unless you live, eat and breathe golf. I can keep myself entertained with reading, volunteer projects etc, but it is so much more comfortable for me to be in an active community. That's why I asked for any insight into Annapolis (or similar recommendations) from those who live near there. It appears to be quaint, historical, have some local cultural venues but not be as dense and tense as larger cities. Any opinions? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:18 PM

14 posts, read 73,812 times
I have only been to Annapolis passing through when going to the beach (great seafood restaurants there). I don't know how the residencial areas look or what kind activities are around. I have friends who live in the Severn river area and they love it. But I can't help with Annapolis, sorry.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Okay, I'm in serious need for assistance now that our house is under contract. I'm counting our blessings, but YIKES! Looking for recommendations for mid-Atlantic places to land ASAP. Access to culture, high quality medical care, water view (can be small lake) high priorities. Cosmopolitan flair a plus. Can't afford mega$$, but welcome your favorite picks. Thanks much.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Why not rent in a likely area for a few months while you test drive different places up here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement