U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-29-2016, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,121 posts, read 12,692,975 times
Reputation: 3771

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is actually closer to 7-8 months of work . but even a regular job with weekends off and two weeks vacation ,not counting holidays is close to 120 days off .
This thread seems to have quite a few examples of extremes. $200k pensions for couples, 180 day contracts, working 7-8 months...

Even at 180 days how do you figure 7 or even 8 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2016, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,121 posts, read 12,692,975 times
Reputation: 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Most professions consider total compensation... as in the package... I know wealthy that work for $1 salary annually... their benefits package is worth millions.

I foolishly took a pay cut when I went the corporate route... the benefits were very generous and having worked for myself over 10 years I wanted to see it the grass was greener... and it was for a couple of years.

That Great 401k Retirement Program with generous match never materialized due to mergers and acquisitions... leaving me only 20% vested... this was my first experience... seeing thousands of dollars in my account simply vanish due to vesting... then it was the medical... which now costs about a $100 a week... same for the bonus plan... many bought stock in the company stock plan... made hundreds of thousands at retirement... By the time I was eligible the company was sold... and so it went.

Public employee retirement plans are dragging down my city and will continue to do so... the city leaders that made these deals are long dead... yet residents not even born shoulder the burden... it simply is not fair to future generations...

There was a story in the Tribune listed all the pensioners having received millions in retirement and some have 40 years in retirement.

As I write this a campaign worker for a Teacher Initiative was just at the door... she was looking for support because the tax measure goes after 250k income and her reasoning is these are the people with money so they need to pay their fair share.

This is the problem... too much is asked from too few with many having no skin in the game...
Is that $100/week for an individual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 04:01 PM
 
71,706 posts, read 71,829,507 times
Reputation: 49273
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
This thread seems to have quite a few examples of extremes. $200k pensions for couples, 180 day contracts, working 7-8 months...

Even at 180 days how do you figure 7 or even 8 months?
we have about 180 school days as a minimum requirement here but with no snow days we run a bit longer . my wife and daughter are both teachers .

a regular job runs about 9 months once you subtract out 104 weekends, 2 weeks vacation and holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 04:12 PM
 
26,591 posts, read 52,334,622 times
Reputation: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Is that $100/week for an individual?
Yes... but only mentioned it because every year the employee contribution, copay, deductible rises...

For accuracy it is $93.19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,121 posts, read 12,692,975 times
Reputation: 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes... but only mentioned it because every year the employee contribution, copay, deductible rises...

For accuracy it is $93.19
Thanks. I was just curious because that amount is more than what an individual teacher here pays ($123/month), but less than what a teacher pays for for two people ($410/month) so I was wondering where it fell in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 05:11 PM
 
6,859 posts, read 3,727,681 times
Reputation: 18098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Any job that has hundreds of applicants for each position wouldn't seem to be having a problem...
.


There's so many things going on in this paragraph I can't comment to all, but will this one statement because I see it over and over. The problem of course is that the statement isn't true. Or more precisely it makes an assumption that isn't true. And that false assumption is that these hundreds of applicants are qualified. In my experience they aren't. My experience is closer to only one in ten is actually qualified for the job. Sure, everyone thinks "I'll just grab me one of those cushy government jobs" but the reality is the qualifications keep most applicants out. In fact the real problem we have, at least in my field, is getting enough qualified applicants who are willing to take the job for the compensation (pay and benefits offered). And that is the true reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,613 posts, read 17,598,460 times
Reputation: 27693
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
This thread seems to have quite a few examples of extremes. $200k pensions for couples, 180 day contracts, working 7-8 months...

Even at 180 days how do you figure 7 or even 8 months?
Many teachers seem to figure their hours vs. eight hour days in the private sector. However, for similarly educated white collar workers, they are often salaried, and work far more than eight hour days year round. Teachers have no comprehension of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 05:21 PM
 
26,591 posts, read 52,334,622 times
Reputation: 20438
True.... but when the transit agency has a job opening for Bridge Toll Collector and receives hundreds of applicants for each position it makes one wonder.

Here is the latest posting...

https://jobs.ca.gov/JOBSGEN/4TR79.PDF

Your point is well taken...

One of my contractor friends is having a hard time staffing... he is a good guy and in business 37 years and will train.

Non Starters are... Driver's License and Drug Screening.

So many otherwise capable individuals have Driver's License problems... with DUI being number 1... several others I know have had to let go individuals with perfect job skills due to DUI on their own time and on vacation.

Drug Testing eliminates most of the rest.... pretty sad when you think about it and expect it to get worse with legalization pending...

A few years ago we were receiving unsolicited resumes from Registered Nurses... a few years prior we were paying sign on bonuses... the only constant is change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2016, 04:17 AM
 
451 posts, read 178,715 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many teachers seem to figure their hours vs. eight hour days in the private sector. However, for similarly educated white collar workers, they are often salaried, and work far more than eight hour days year round. Teachers have no comprehension of that.
In most school districts teachers are required to give 7-10% of their salary to a pension plan that will die with them. White collar workers have access to 401 k plans with matching contributions, lucrative profit sharing plans, expense accounts, etc. Also a 401k plan is part of an estate and can be passed onto heirs. Not so with a pension. White collar workers have no comprehension of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2016, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
2,452 posts, read 3,670,532 times
Reputation: 4835
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Thanks. I was just curious because that amount is more than what an individual teacher here pays ($123/month), but less than what a teacher pays for for two people ($410/month) so I was wondering where it fell in comparison.
My wife works in Education in Michigan. Here the State controlled insurance plan for Teachers requires that a policy covering two people cost more than one covering an entire family. The logic, or weak explanation, is that all two person households are DINK households and can afford to pay more.

My wife's job pays ~$22K annually. Not exactly a windfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top