U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 11:08 AM

1,099 posts, read 817,338 times

Advertisements

If he is showing signs of mental illness he should get treatment. I would find out what resources for such are available in your community. I would start with that. I would want his lawyer involved immediately.

If he has grandiose plans this could be bipolar. Without proper treatment this can lead to a lot of heartache for all concerned. Seen my share of bipolar thru the years. Without treatment I have never seen anything bipolar work out.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:09 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Can I ask WHY this guy is so motivated to spend all this money? If he has it, why does he need to move in with you? Have you seen any proof that he has ANY money at all? Did he just coincidentally say he was also interested in autism-isn't that a rather unusual interest to have, especially to want to devote so much money to it?

Please come back and read the responses here and respond to the questions. It'll help you think it through.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Look into bi-polar conditions and realize the risk / treatment / persuasion

These people are pros, very effective, very irregular, very sincere. (often very successful... look at famous historic leaders who were bi-polar, wars / nations would have been LOST without them and their extraordinary contributions!)

Be nice, be supportive, maintain your space, check in regularly, chronicle your relationship / results.
Get him into a working relationship / contribution in farming / i.e. HIS type of job. ----- In 3- 5 yrs re-evaluate.

Not all is as it first appears. your proposed 'plan' requires stability, cash, LT commitment with secure / solid relationships.

You are not there yet.
you may never be.

BTDT for decades caring for others...Farming has been VERY therapeutic and successful in the right conditions, but NOT effective for all cases. Very broad and demanding activities. need to be firing on all 8 - 12 cylinders.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 PM

662 posts, read 476,887 times
What lawyer? Did you Google him/her? What paralegal? Google them too. How long have they been in business? At the same office? In fact, did you meet in an office or talk over the phone? If over the phone, it could have been anyone. Google him too...chances are that anyone who has won a major lawsuit was in the news. Have you spoke with his doctor?...at that doctor's office? Where has he been living all these years...what streets/forests specifically? And how do you even know his real name? You just helped him get id. I'm betting a google image search of his pic (I don't know how to do this but others do) would turn up tons. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he found out about you here and set this all up. Sounds like a grifter to me.

Frankly, I wouldn't even do the above....I wouldn't get involved at all, other than to offer him referrals for psychiatric help. I mean, really, if he's loaded, then he can buy a farm, build a house on it, live in it himself, hire a health caretaker. He doesn't need you at all, IF what he says is true, and I doubt it. The "hook" is you, and I think you're bait for something he's cooking up.

This has scam written all over it. Run away. Focus in, ....on you, your family and your needs and how you can solve them. Outward focusing towards solving problems often leads to trouble.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:15 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,400,712 times
start a farm, maybe even horses, and bring in a few Autistic people

did you really mean to say "bring in a few Autistic people"??(along with the goats and chickens)..........

Old 10-27-2016, 02:17 PM

4,960 posts, read 3,452,717 times
I don't know what TDI means & how bipolar came up.

What I do know is that I received a large settlement from the car accident & it certainly wasn't in the news. I invested most of what I received. After doctor bills & paying my lawyer I received a little over 1/3 of the settlement.

My lawyer fought for me with the insurance companies but certainly wouldn't have helped me get an ID if I had needed one, nor was it his job to help if I showed mental health problems.

If he has money though, why is he homeless? That makes no sense, unless he hasn't received the monies yet. I know if I didn't have family, I could have been homeless as it took 4-5 years before everything was settled in my case and I received any funds.

Moving him into your home is pretty iffy. Be very careful, Vicky. You are too good a person and could be taken for a ride.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:20 PM

16,720 posts, read 14,684,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post

So, what do you all think? I have a problem with trusting when I shouldn't and I also never want to take advantage of anyone. I do not know what to do.
The first thing I would do is call an attorney and talk to them.

I would also have him checked out (background check, criminal records, doctors, everything).

How do you know you were talking to a real paralegal and not some flunkie that he is partners with, trying to swindle you ?

If he is that rich, he can pay you & your husband for running the farm, and part of your payment would be living there rent-free. I would not give him one red cent.

Something is not right in this scenario. I would proceed with extreme caution.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:21 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
The para-legal said that she has worried about michael for so many years and that what Michael has offered is an answer to prayer, and it kind of is to us as well.
You know the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it is."

Rather than an answer to a prayer it sounds like being baited for a trap. I wouldn't make a move without personally going to the law offices of the attorneys he says he has and checking out their licences. Don't permit them to come to you.

Besides, do you know anything running about a farm? I don't but I imagine it's really hard work. Do you want to do that in your retirement? If you decide to pursue this, get your own lawyer. If you want to be responsible for this guy, you have to do it legally with the proper documents to prove you are legally empowered to do so. Who knows that he could have relatives coming out of the woodwork accusing you of scamming him if he really does have all this wealth?

Old 10-27-2016, 03:19 PM

1,185 posts, read 662,420 times
Does he have other relatives? If he does, believe me that they will be coming out in force and could accuse you of manipulation or anything else they could dream up for their relative's money, particularly since he sounds unstable.

You are a very sweet, caring person but now is the time to protect your own family and particularly your son.

Look on the Caregiving forum for the huge difficulties of taking care of a person with TBI, among other problems.

Farming is expensive and horses cost a fortune for upkeep and care.

Just too many big, waving red flags in this scenario.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:12 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
What lawyer? Did you Google him/her? What paralegal? Google them too. How long have they been in business? At the same office? In fact, did you meet in an office or talk over the phone? If over the phone, it could have been anyone. Google him too...chances are that anyone who has won a major lawsuit was in the news. Have you spoke with his doctor?...at that doctor's office? Where has he been living all these years...what streets/forests specifically? And how do you even know his real name? You just helped him get id. I'm betting a google image search of his pic (I don't know how to do this but others do) would turn up tons. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he found out about you here and set this all up. Sounds like a grifter to me.

Frankly, I wouldn't even do the above....I wouldn't get involved at all, other than to offer him referrals for psychiatric help. I mean, really, if he's loaded, then he can buy a farm, build a house on it, live in it himself, hire a health caretaker. He doesn't need you at all, IF what he says is true, and I doubt it. The "hook" is you, and I think you're bait for something he's cooking up.

This has scam written all over it. Run away. Focus in, ....on you, your family and your needs and how you can solve them. Outward focusing towards solving problems often leads to trouble.
I like your last comment. Focus in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or