U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:13 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,517,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
What does this have to do with anything? You seem so obsessed with causing pain that you twist everything and look for something, nearly totaly apart from the subject so that you can scream "Bingo" What is wrong with you? I feel so sorry for any wife or kids you might have. Autistic people would never stoop so low as you have
Who are you to speak for all Autistic people ?

Old 10-28-2016, 06:40 PM

7,110 posts, read 8,149,204 times
Quote:
The community where we will be living in is Colorado. Ocate Cliffs, a place being built by Autistics to be run as a retreat by Autistics Is in New Mexico.
Can I become an honorary autistic?

I've just been told by non-farmers that I don't know a damn thing about farming .
They probably think I don't know a damn thing about real estate, either....except I own a helluva lot more of it than they do!

Old 10-28-2016, 06:47 PM

628 posts, read 402,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Who are you to speak for all Autistic people ?
As soon as I clicked the button I realized I should have said that in the Autistic community in general, your comments would have been regarded by most, but I can not say all ,as lower than whale sperm rotting on the ocean floor. BY NO MEANS am I saying that most non-autistics would have responded as you have.

Incidentally, you know that blathering so many [psychopaths I assume] who post make about "well, this is how people are online and if you can not handle it, you should not be online" Me, and others are banding to put an end to such ABLEIST language. .

Old 10-28-2016, 07:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
The community where we will be living in is Colorado. Ocate Cliffs, ...Is in New Mexico. We will still need additives. ...
Oh what a PERFECT place to 'start' a farm !! (CO and NM) BTDT

yes, you will need plenty of 'ADDITIVES', (like WATER.... LOTS of water, of which neither state has enough at the moment) tho you will get your required amount of Vitamin D.

excellent formula for success! CO, + NM + FARMING + a person you just met who may / may not (likely) be a straight shooter as per >>>> following...>>>>

Quote:
Retirement has had so many twists and turns. We recently became friends with a homeless man. ... We knew he was a little crazy, but that was understandable
... start a farm, maybe even horses, ...We would pay for all food and utilities and maintenance and take care of him, and if he dies before us, leave us the house....
Quote:
The last thing that i would ever do is take advantage of a vulnerable person, so we said, no,
Considering the circumstances, that is a Great final answer!..we said, no,

Quote:
...what do you all think?
As noted by your responses... WE are not allowed to THINK, or express decades of experience dealing with chronic health and psychological issues, Yes, Virginia, there are ~450 MILLION people in the World suffering from mental illness, and VERY FEW people left to care for them, but I will assure you 1B people are dealing with trying to care for others! (which includes those of use who instruct / mentor / and teach by example the process of them caring for each other.)

Happy Green Acres (most likely BROWN 9 months of the yr)

Old 10-28-2016, 08:38 PM

the community is not in NM. And there is a lot of farming in Colorado. This is deliberate cruelty on your part. I know that psychopaths like to inflict further pain on someone already hurting. Was it me open open about my fears. about the upcoming tests to see if I am no longer in remission that triggered such vitriole? You are making no sense. I do consider some people here friends, or at least good people. I shared with my friends about how we might be able to get a farm [it is zoned agricultural, a farm where we can have up to 4 horses] so that we could help more people including this poor man who is dying. I asked for advice. People gave it. It was not what I had doped to hear from most but I was , of course, grateful. Then all this this crap gets unloaded on me by people who are not even people I consider friends that I can not find another word for it than evil. What gives?

Old 10-28-2016, 08:38 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,321,273 times
I agree with all those posters who have said 'run' ... fast. Shut the door on this man. Use your head not your heart on this one. Something doesn't add up here.

My mother died from mesothelioma. As far as I know it is always a death sentence still .. incurable and terminal. If I could not decide how to vet this guy, the first thing I would do is take him to MY doctor and have a medical assessment done to see if that diagnosis is the truth and what his life expectancy would be at this point. I expect he would not have much time left to be honest.

I would check out the lawyer he says he has been working with - and the paralegal. I would not rely on phone calls to determine if they are really who they say they are. I would do my research and then I would visit them in person or have someone I trust visit them if they are not located close by. I would want to see the court judgment/award papers.

I would demand to see his bank statement (and go to the bank with him and have the bank tell me he actually has money). I would talk to the real estate agent to find out if he was promising to pay for the farm in full and how they were vetting that he actually could do that. I would insist that if he purchased the farm that the documents were drawn up with rights of survivorship to you. I think I might also ask for a life insurance policy (paid by him in advance for x number of years - see above re- life expectancy estimate) on him with your names as beneficiaries. I would want to be named in his will and ensure he HAS a will and I know where it is, etc.

And then I would see MY lawyer and talk to him about all of this - and expect that he would/should try to talk some sense into me. I would ask the lawyer how I could protect myself 100% from fraud in the event this guy is a scam artist.

I would then figure out how much my share - utilities, food, etc. would cost me monthly (and probably triple that since I have no experience in running a farm) - and then I would ensure my benefactor had an excellent health insurance policy (paid in advance with reserve for deductibles) that covered all his medications, etc. Oh heck .. why not be made his guardian while you are at it - and hold his POAs. And have him buy the place with only your names on it (his money, no strings though) in the first place.

I think I would probably also insist (if I even got this far which is doubtful) that since he is rich, he should build himself a cottage or small house on the property .. a separate one. Why does he need to live IN your house? A granny flat would do, no? You could 'caretake' him there. He will need hospice and he will probably also need additional nursing care as things get bad (if he indeed has mesothelioma) and oxygen and pain meds and hospital trips .. the list of things you need to consider is almost endless in this regard - and he needs to show he has ALL the resources to pay for all of them - up front.

There is SO much more than this farm to consider!

eta: vicky3vicky - What gives is that you asked on a public forum. Period. Even though some of us are Trump supporters we are not 'really evil', I assure you. Many of us are concerned for you.

Last edited by Aery11; 10-28-2016 at 08:49 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 PM

aery, I know. and I listened to the good people on this thread including you and I so do not want to take the man up on his offer. But there are people who are deliberately hurting me and that is evil. Not you. I can not stop crying. I was going to make a new thread and ask those who might be inclined to pray that I am still in remission. Now I dare not do that. The tests are not scheduled until the tenth but I am already terrified. I knnow everyone dies but i so want to get this community going here first, for all AUtistics, but mostly for the sake of my son. At this point in time, were I not here, he would be homeless. i really need to be here [planet earth] for some good years.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Can I become an honorary autistic?

I've just been told by non-farmers that I don't know a damn thing about farming .
They probably think I don't know a damn thing about real estate, either....except I own a helluva lot more of it than they do!
You are so awesome! Of course you can. Quick question though, Wahnee, one of my chickens, is pure white. The last week or so, she has been taking her dirt bath and NOT shaking off her feathers. We brought her in the house and gave her a water bath in the sink and discovered some large and hard dingleberries, which we cut out. We sprayed her down with mite spray, blow-dried her off and put her with the other chickens and she immediately got dirty again. She is still laying her eggs every day and they are coming out clean. We are planning on taking her to the vet on Monday if she is still acting this way [ she is still very affectionate and loves to be cuddled and loved and of course, to eat] Is there anything I should try before bringing her to the vet?

Old 10-28-2016, 11:18 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,134 times
Quote:
WHAT do I not take resposibility for? If you ever decide to learn anything about autistic people, you will discover that many of us [definitely me because of MRI] have huge, juicy, neuron packed amygdalas. [ and if you read on psychopaths, our opposites, they tend to pruny and small amygdalas] which means we have a problem with taking responsibility for EVERYTHING. When have i ever implied that being Autistic makes me "less than'? Nowhere! ANd yes, I do perceive the world differently than you do. In a world run by Autistic people there would be no war because war is a pretty crappy thing to do.

if you are referring to to my being particularly sensitive right now, please take a peek at my channel at the video made 2 or 3 days ago, where I mention that I am being overly sensitive because I am coming up on getting tests to see if I am still in remission from breast cancer, nothing to do with being Autistic.

Also, I was and am incredibly grateful to the wonderful people who have supported me through some tough times.

And I do mention being Autistic ALOT. I am an Autistic activist and so I will mention it whenever I can.

Ironically, my problem is not being a "poor me because I am Autistic" as having to fight myself against being an "Autistic Supremist." It is the few like you who trigger that feeling in me. Most of the people here are beyond awesome.
Ya know, being an autistic sounds very much like being an engineer - only engineers are wired to look at facts and numbers and outcomes, whereas autistics in the way you describe them are wired to look at the social fabric comprising empathy. Maybe engineering proclivities and autistic proclivities are simply extremes on the "facts and numbers" spectrum! Richard Feynmann was in a class of his own (being a gregarious physicist).

Not going to speculate about psychopathy, because the engineers and scientists I work with are thoughtful and nuanced people despite their penchant for facts. The certified narcissists were brittle, like cardboard, quick to crumble and lash out when backed into a corner with facts - if that makes any sense. It would be a rare scientist/engineering type who'd crumble and lash out during a dispassionate discussion. We're all about solving the problem.

Don't mean to hijack your thread. Considering that presumptive spectrum provides some fodder for thought. Maybe spectra are multidimensional and independent. Maybe some predictive benefit could be derived from examining the premise fully.

Sheesh - Never thought I would EVER say this. Sometimes I wish I were still back in the day where you could examine a hypothesis that could be useful on the strength of some preliminary experiments, enough to fund an NSF proposal. And then spend the next year or so wringing the truth out of the matter.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
go Farming! 10 + hrs / day ALONE on a tractor or behind a mule will give you plenty of time to THINK! and... the problems that crop up will REQUIRE you to think, especially if you are not fond of walking home! (and walking BACK to SOLVE your problem of the hour) every hour, everyday... troubles arise and threaten to FLATTEN you.
Jeez, no wonder you're so smart! (*said with admiration, not with snark*).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or