U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:00 AM

635 posts, read 405,599 times

Advertisements

Retirement has had so many twists and turns. We recently became friends with a homeless man. We did NOT bring him into our home to live and he is not a heroin. We knew he was sick, homeless, and that both his wife and child had died of natural causes in the past year. We knew he was a little crazy, but that was understandable [he also has mesothelioma and a TBI] He was always talking about how rich he is and we thought he was just a little [lot] confused. He kept saying that he wanted to find a real farm near where we are now but without the high crime rate. We really appreciated the thought but like I said, I thought he was just "confused" from the TBI.

He asked Bobby and I if we would help him to get some i.d. because he can not fly,take a train or even a bus without I.D. I could not believe what a job that was.

Anyway, now that he has I,D and was able to open a bank account, he was wired a huge ammount of money. He wants to buy this house on a farm and have Bobby and I take care of it, start a farm, maybe even horses, and bring in a few Autistic people.He said he wants to be part of starting the autistic community. We would pay for all food and utilities and maintainence and take care of him, and if he dies before us, leave us the house.

The last thing that i would ever do is take advantage of a vulnerable person, so we said, no, just move in with us [as a roommate, not a homeless drug addict] and pay a couple hundred dollars a month rent.

Anyway, he had me talk to his lawyers para-legal who he has been working with for 6 years [ he received his money from a lawsuit concerning his TBI, and he has been receiving it over a period of years and will conttinue to. The para-legal said that she has worried about michael for so many years and that what Michael has offerred is an answer to prayer, and it kindof is to us as well.

So, what do you all think? I have a problem with trusting when I shouldn't and I also never want to take advantage of anyone. I do not know what to do.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:28 AM

980 posts, read 607,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Retirement has had so many twists and turns. We recently became friends with a homeless man. We did NOT bring him into our home to live and he is not a heroin. We knew he was sick, homeless, and that both his wife and child had died of natural causes in the past year. We knew he was a little crazy, but that was understandable [he also has mesothelioma and a TBI] He was always talking about how rich he is and we thought he was just a little [lot] confused. He kept saying that he wanted to find a real farm near where we are now but without the high crime rate. We really appreciated the thought but like I said, I thought he was just "confused" from the TBI.

He asked Bobby and I if we would help him to get some i.d. because he can not fly,take a train or even a bus without I.D. I could not believe what a job that was.

Anyway, now that he has I,D and was able to open a bank account, he was wired a huge ammount of money. He wants to buy this house on a farm and have Bobby and I take care of it, start a farm, maybe even horses, and bring in a few Autistic people.He said he wants to be part of starting the autistic community. We would pay for all food and utilities and maintainence and take care of him, and if he dies before us, leave us the house.

The last thing that i would ever do is take advantage of a vulnerable person, so we said, no, just move in with us [as a roommate, not a homeless drug addict] and pay a couple hundred dollars a month rent.

Anyway, he had me talk to his lawyers para-legal who he has been working with for 6 years [ he received his money from a lawsuit concerning his TBI, and he has been receiving it over a period of years and will conttinue to. The para-legal said that she has worried about michael for so many years and that what Michael has offerred is an answer to prayer, and it kindof is to us as well.

So, what do you all think? I have a problem with trusting when I shouldn't and I also never want to take advantage of anyone. I do not know what to do.
From what I can extrapolate from your post, you want advise if you should allow as you yourself describe "a little crazy" homeless man to live in your home and you and your husband become his caretakers. And payment for your care taking services would be that this man would fund your plans to establish a farm for autistic people.

In the not too distant past you shared here about the horrific home invasion your family went through and how emotionally traumatized your son was by this experience. So ask yourself the question, how would this as you describe "a little crazy" man living with your family impact the safety of your family and the emotional wellbeing of your son ? The answer to this question should give you the answer to what you should do.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:45 AM

15,253 posts, read 8,548,360 times
Quote:
Retirement has had so many twists and turns. We recently became friends with a homeless man.

This man is loaded and has had lawyers working with him for 6 years and none of THEM ever helped him get an ID? And he was PAYING them?

I'm sorry - this is too fantastical to believe - there is something very wrong here. Do not get entangled with him financially - much too risky. Do not spend ANY of your own money on his ventures.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:06 AM

738 posts, read 814,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
This man is loaded and has had lawyers working with him for 6 years and none of THEM ever helped him get an ID? And he was PAYING them?

I'm sorry - this is too fantastical to believe - there is something very wrong here. Do not get entangled with him financially - much too risky. Do not spend ANY of your own money on his ventures.
Ditto this...

~RVcook

Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,529,064 times
Quote:

red flags flying all over this

Old 10-27-2016, 08:11 AM

4,488 posts, read 4,748,002 times
It's called manipulation. Run for the hills.

Although, love that you made it clear he was not on heroin. Ok, that takes one (illegal and abused) drug out of the equation... How about the other 100? Amusing.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:04 AM

489 posts, read 326,752 times
Do not do it!!!!!

Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 AM

10,011 posts, read 16,682,427 times
A 'real farm' is a lot of work and you have no experience farming. Don't do it.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:30 AM

14,419 posts, read 7,934,902 times
Yikes, what are you thinking bringing someone like that into your home with your son? I think your heart is in the right place but there are other ways to help him. No I would NOT let him move in.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:56 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,439,794 times
sorry, but your good intentions are loaded with just about every conceivable situation for massive failure.

Run Run Run away as fast as you can from any financial/living entanglement with such a person.

PS: Farming and retirement are mutually exclusive ... there is NO RETIREMENT in Farming even if you think that others will do all the manual tasks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or