U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 05:39 PM

5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox54 View Post
Did anyone else experience this? Hubby who has been retired for 2 years said he did not. It just feels like I walked out the door for a vacation & will be back with work piled high, stress, updates and changes to take care of. It just does not seem real to me. Is this normal or does it take time for reality to set in?
First of all... a huge congrats!

It took awhile for it to sink in with us, but we started getting busy right away planning to sell the house, cars, and all our crap to travel long term. I think once you get busy with something things snap into place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:51 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,377,315 times
I felt like I was on vacation for awhile after I retired. We took a short trip shortly after I retired, and I think my body knew I was retired when I realized I did not have to go into work the day after I got back. For me the transition was swift.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:24 PM

110 posts, read 133,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Looking at retirement in 5 1/2 years (@ 62 y/o) if we can figure out Medical Insurance, otherwise going to Medicare age. I know for a fact I'm going to need an adjustment period....absolutely love my job.....some of the people I can do without, but for the most part, don't mind going to work at all.
I'm looking at it in just under 3 yrs (54 but yr I turn 55) and have the same issue with Medical only I do mind going to work

Old 10-29-2016, 12:37 AM

3,327 posts, read 3,503,720 times
I'm a young one and to be perfectly honest, I think that those who can retire and don't are in a way broken people. No hobbies, no interests, no ideas outside of work?

Let's face it, the vast majority of workers don't do anything important whereby the world will come to a halt if they stop working. The vat majority of us are replaceable and aren't that much better (if at all) than the next person.

The lack of hobbies and outside interests baffles me even among my other young co-workers. I'm almost 30 and if someone handed me enough money to retire tomorrow, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
There are a thousand other things I'd rather be doing than working for someone else.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:31 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,420,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm a young one and to be perfectly honest, I think that those who can retire and don't are in a way broken people. No hobbies, no interests, no ideas outside of work?

Let's face it, the vast majority of workers don't do anything important whereby the world will come to a halt if they stop working. The vat majority of us are replaceable and aren't that much better (if at all) than the next person.

The lack of hobbies and outside interests baffles me even among my other young co-workers. I'm almost 30 and if someone handed me enough money to retire tomorrow, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
There are a thousand other things I'd rather be doing than working for someone else.
Absolutely! I see people that retire and say they are bored. Really? The world is full of things to do and learn that are fun and engaging. Retirement gives you the freedom to explore them all.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:11 AM

10,461 posts, read 5,928,514 times
Since out plan is relocation my first months of retirement won't be like most described here. No it will be a whirlwind of packing and moving to a 6 mointh rental apartment in the new spot as we search for our last home. I'm scared to death that once the dust settles we will find ourselves kind of bored and lonely in our new place.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:44 AM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Absolutely! I see people that retire and say they are bored. Really? The world is full of things to do and learn that are fun and engaging. Retirement gives you the freedom to explore them all.
I thought that way while working,how can any one be bored in retirement? however 10 years into retirement theres a certain been there done that attitude that sets in,the hobbies become un interesting, one misses the work and its social dynamics, remaining relevant on a daily basis becomes tougher,health issues start to become a factor.and for some you end up becoming bored and depressed and living in a similar rut as you were when you were working.
IMO retirement isnt for every one and doesnt necessarily equate to just a long vacation.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:02 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,838,667 times
I've been retired for almost 6 years. I think it felt a little odd for the first week or so. The realization that I would never have to get up at 4:45 am again. That I never had to answer to anybody for my time. That passed quickly, and once I got my first pension payment it really sank in. I'm free. I never have to try to crunch a week's worth of house and yardwork, entertainment, and family obligations into 2 days ever again. My schedule, or lack of schedule, is mine to do with as I want forever and ever. Amen.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:18 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,177,890 times
I've retired twice and gone back to work full time both times. After a year and a half the first time and 3 years the second time, I realized retirement was not good for me. I had lost purpose, my mental and physical condition was not as good, and I was losing my people skills. I've known too many people who retired and who died shortly after that.

I can see where some people might like it, but it just was not right for me. But I hope it is good for the OP.

Don

Old 10-29-2016, 10:15 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

I retired in my 40s. Its been 10 years now. Its all fun and games at first. I had hobbies. I just got tired of dong them. I wish I could be one of those people that can do the same thing day after day - hobby wise. Like quilters for example.

In my work life, we would travel from military base to military base. Start a project, see it through, leave, go on a short vacation, then do it all again. Nothing was the same. I really enjoyed it.

Now I have "obligations". Lots of pets and sick people all around me! I do feel like running away sometimes, but you cannot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or