U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 10:30 AM

3,327 posts, read 3,513,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I retired in my 40s. Its been 10 years now. Its all fun and games at first. I had hobbies. I just got tired of dong them. I wish I could be one of those people that can do the same thing day after day - hobby wise. Like quilters for example.

In my work life, we would travel from military base to military base. Start a project, see it through, leave, go on a short vacation, then do it all again. Nothing was the same. I really enjoyed it.

Now I have "obligations". Lots of pets and sick people all around me! I do feel like running away sometimes, but you cannot!
I have a few hobbies which I know I'll do for the rest of my life (if physically possible). Weightlifting, reading books/news, and learning new skills (even if I don't use them extensively).

I can see how being destitute in retirement leads to a ****ty retirement but if money's not a problem then all should be well. Maybe it's because I live in NYC and there's always something going on.

On the other hand, with the internet there are literally an unlimited number of hobbies and like minded people. It's probably the least boring time in human history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 10:51 AM

6,355 posts, read 5,091,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I have a few hobbies which I know I'll do for the rest of my life (if physically possible). Weightlifting, reading books/news, and learning new skills (even if I don't use them extensively).

I can see how being destitute in retirement leads to a ****ty retirement but if money's not a problem then all should be well. Maybe it's because I live in NYC and there's always something going on.

On the other hand, with the internet there are literally an unlimited number of hobbies and like minded people. It's probably the least boring time in human history.
Even if money is not a problem, but you can't leave a sick person behind - what can you do?

And yes, there is exercise, but something like that I would not consider it a "hobby". I work out several times a week - it is just a part of daily life or should be anyway.

And reading too - also just a part of daily life.

And the internet - i'm online so much that now ive noticed problems with my swiping finger! I have ipad, iPhone, desktop, home internet, mobile Wi-Fi etc., so no issue there - its just using it too much.

And i'm generally the easiest going, happy go lucky persons around here. I often wonder how all the people around me with all their issues just keep going on day after day. Maybe I think about it too much! LOL

Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 AM

26 posts, read 19,299 times
Default Thank you to all!

Now, I know the "unreal feeling" I have is normal! It's Monday morning & no work today. Yesterday (Sunday), I almost started my usual routine of what will I wear to work this week & realized its jeans & work out clothes everyday from here on in. Today, going through my dress clothes & donating to a local organization that helps low income women with clothing for job interviews & prepping for the workforce - feels good to help someone else & it feels liberating to let go!

Old 10-31-2016, 03:53 PM

2,228 posts, read 943,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox54 View Post
Did anyone else experience this? Hubby who has been retired for 2 years said he did not. It just feels like I walked out the door for a vacation & will be back with work piled high, stress, updates and changes to take care of. It just does not seem real to me. Is this normal or does it take time for reality to set in?
I'm now 14 days into retirement and it still feels like a long vacation. I'm starting to trim the trees and look at the shrubbery so maybe the vacation feeling is starting to wear off. No matter, I'm loving it!

Happy retirement to you! Live long and prosper.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:08 PM

90 posts, read 104,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I think it's different for different people. I was pretty much a workaholic for almost 30 years -- worked 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week for years. Everyone thought I'd miss working. But, from the day I retired five years ago, I never gave a 2nd thought to it.
You sound like me... I turned 61 a week ago and am chomping at the bit to retire one day and the next a little worried if I will be happy. My wife is 6 years younger ad she will carry the insurance for approx. 6 years then retire. I suspect we will take a few trips and live a little differently when I leave work. To be honest I can't wait BUT I am so worried to have nothing to do. I am a tinkerer and love to poke around the yard. I spend 3 hours a day on the road 1 to work and 2 home. So this will be a treat! Anyone have any advice to help me think easy?
Thanks

Old 11-03-2016, 04:02 AM

1,137 posts, read 572,760 times
I have 237 days, 4 hours, 57 minutes to go before I walk out the door to work for the last time.
I'm not looking forward to it at all.
Nah ah.
Not at all.
No way.
well, maybe a little....

Old 11-03-2016, 06:38 AM

1,137 posts, read 572,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1027 View Post
You sound like me... I turned 61 a week ago and am chomping at the bit to retire one day and the next a little worried if I will be happy. My wife is 6 years younger ad she will carry the insurance for approx. 6 years then retire. I suspect we will take a few trips and live a little differently when I leave work. To be honest I can't wait BUT I am so worried to have nothing to do. I am a tinkerer and love to poke around the yard. I spend 3 hours a day on the road 1 to work and 2 home. So this will be a treat! Anyone have any advice to help me think easy?
Thanks
Sorry; just kidding about my previous post above.
My advice? For those of us lucky enough to have vision and the ability to retire, life's beauty can unfold. It offers a promise to have the one thing that money can't buy; time. We squander so much of our lives trying to meet other people's schedules that we zip past simple pleasures, simple scenes, simple goals that appear beyond our reach behind desks, shovels, or computers. To me, vision is one of the most important of our vastly under-rated gifts. I often witness stressed-out drivers careen past astonishing beautiful visual eye-candy that stops me dead in my tracks to absorb the multitude of life's little vignettes. And it's not all about money. Some of my best and worst life-lessons occurred in times of financial stress. The worst were due to debt problems, but the best were due to having time...not money. Right now, I earn the most money in my career, but my daily life doesn't hold a candle to when I had lots of time, and just enough money to take advantage of it. I have always seemingly had money and no time, or time but no money. I look forward to having just enough of both to close out a successful chapter on this planet.
Hope you can too!

Last edited by MichiganGreg; 11-03-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-03-2016, 09:50 AM
mlb

3,207 posts, read 2,870,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I recall walking out the door that last day and thinking, "This is the last day I'll ever have to work at a job for the rest of my life!" ... Quite surreal.

I can't wait for this day - neither can my body - which is starting to fall apart

711 days and counting.....

Old 11-03-2016, 12:45 PM

38 posts, read 25,595 times
I just retired in July and still trying to find my way. I have a dry erase board filled with things to do around the house. I haven't touched one. : (

Old 11-03-2016, 01:13 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,467,201 times
Having been retired almost 7 years, I still find it feeling a bit unreal -

after having worked nearly 40 years.

Part of the unreal part is that I'm still very grateful to be retired and not working. The being grateful part has not lessened.

And the other unreal part is how I still love so many things about having all my time to myself rather than being owned by a place of work. I feel lucky to be retired and love not answering to and working for a firm every day, and trying to meet all the demands of working which wore me down!

Last edited by matisse12; 11-03-2016 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or