U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 01:16 PM

625 posts, read 383,138 times

Advertisements

I am dreading retiring. I am getting a large package from work and could stay home but I am looking and looking. I actually at most want 2-3 days off. My uncle is 84 and still works. He loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 01:20 PM

6,337 posts, read 5,075,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Having been retired almost 7 years, I still find it feeling a bit unreal -

after having worked nearly 40 years.

I think the unreal part is that I'm still very grateful to be retired and not working. The being grateful part has not lessened.

And the other unreal part is how I still love so many things about having all my time to myself rather than being owned by a place of work. I feel lucky to be retired.
I wish I felt like this. I just feel restless. Today I had to tackle some housework. I used to love it. Would polish the floors DAILY - now I just hate it.

I used to love to do yard work because I liked using my body to stay fit. Now i'd rather go to an exercise class.

Things sure have turned around for me. Uggg - maybe just a phase. Who knows.

I think I am more like my oldest sister. She still works at 70 and lives in an apartment. They love it. No yardwork, come and go as they please. No real responsibilities - lol. Sounds great. At the moment.

And no, she doesn't have to work, already retired once, she just likes the people interaction.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:24 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,530,329 times
Giesela was supposed to retire at the end of October. I hope she reports back to us how things are going.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,459,869 times
Clemencia, you retired at age 40 or in your early 40's, right? That's an awfully long time to be retired! So you've probably temporarily lost your motivation - hopefully temporarily!

Motivation can come and go, for certain. It can be upsetting when motivation disappears for a while.

I think retiring too early can be a problem for some people - too many decades to fill up with non-working activities.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-03-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 02:29 PM

6,337 posts, read 5,075,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Clemencia, you retired at age 40 or in your early 40's, right? That's an awfully long time to be retired! So you've probably temporarily lost your motivation - hopefully temporarily!

Motivation can come and go, for certain. It can be upsetting when motivation disappears for a while.

I think retiring too early can be a problem for some people - too many decades to fill up with non-working activities.
yep, sure did. I need to get it back!

Old 11-03-2016, 08:09 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,514,750 times
I think about ''retirement'' more in terms of my freedom to use MY time left on this earth in the ways that I desire, rather than have to be at the ''beck and call'' of an employer 40 hrs a week.
That said, I got used to not living that way during long-term unemployment after multiple lay-offs during the Recession. Though there was the stress of job-seeking, I adapted to living on less and found a wonderful freedom in structuring my days the way I wanted.
When I finally found part-time work in 2012, I realized that this and contract work offered so much more freedom and so much less stress both emotionally and physically.
With that said, I now have some steady part-time work that keeps me ''just enough'' busy with clients and gets me out of the house and interacting with others a few days a week. During the other time I do what I want with my time and THAT for me is the essence of what it means to be ''retired''.
Soon I will apply for early SS because I want some economic security and know I will never make the kind of money I did for 35 years and there is no job security anymore. Especially for someone my age and in my field.
I just hope to keep my health and my freedom as long as I can. Am I really ''retired''? Am I ''semi-retired''? I don't know, but it feels like a nice balance for me at this time.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:18 PM

284 posts, read 260,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Sorry; just kidding about my previous post above.
My advice? For those of us lucky enough to have vision and the ability to retire, life's beauty can unfold. It offers a promise to have the one thing that money can't buy; time. We squander so much of our lives trying to meet other people's schedules that we zip past simple pleasures, simple scenes, simple goals that appear beyond our reach behind desks, shovels, or computers. To me, vision is one of the most important of our vastly under-rated gifts. I often witness stressed-out drivers careen past astonishing beautiful visual eye-candy that stops me dead in my tracks to absorb the multitude of life's little vignettes. And it's not all about money. Some of my best and worst life-lessons occurred in times of financial stress. The worst were due to debt problems, but the best were due to having time...not money. Right now, I earn the most money in my career, but my daily life doesn't hold a candle to when I had lots of time, and just enough money to take advantage of it. I have always seemingly had money and no time, or time but no money. I look forward to having just enough of both to close out a successful chapter on this planet.
Hope you can too!
Well said! I especially like the line about having just enough of both money and time to close out a successful chapter. That's pretty much been the goal in scheduling my retirement.

So I just filed my retirement papers two days ago effective February 1st. I'm only 57, so obviously leaving $$ on the table. I was surprised I didn't feel any emotion when I hit the send button on the fax machine though. Strange, no excitement, no apprehension, really nothing, so I guess reality hasn't hit yet. I've been making plans for this day for a long time and am really excited about it, but was frankly surprised at my lack of emotion. Yep, I have a feeling it's going to take a while for this retirement thing to go from concept to reality.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:33 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,514,750 times
Drift Away, I think you are going to love it!
I came to my realization that I was ''retired'' from the rat race while struggling over the last 2 years to find a full-time job. I couldn't find one but realized I no longer wanted one.
I was now happy working a flexible part-time schedule and enjoying my newly realized freedom.
Congrats to you!

Old 11-03-2016, 09:49 PM

90 posts, read 104,888 times
I am 61 and ready to retire in less than a year at 62. My wife is 55. Our plan is for her to work an additional 6 years until she is 62. Does anyone know if that is a good plan. The reason she is working is medical and bennies. I really don't understand the retirement thing... I travel 3 hours a day 81 mile round trip for work on a major slow highway... she has a 10 mile round trip from work. Does anyone have any ideas on this situation. We are not people that spend a lot but of course we feel you always have to prepare for sickness and care if needed. Are we doing the right thing with the 6 year difference? Money is not the issue if she is working but if we both retired the medical benefits would be an issue for sure.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:56 AM

1,665 posts, read 1,872,210 times
All of you that retire before age 65 how do you handle medical insurance? Medicare does not kick in until age 65. Do you just pay for your medical insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or