U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:39 AM

7,653 posts, read 4,699,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Property taxes in Rochester (not to mention most places in the NE like CT) are killers. Article seems to have missed that.
These clickbait articles aren't written by people who do exhaustive research? I'm shocked.

(I know what you mean. There's always something they leave out.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 12:08 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,624,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I would encourage you to check out overseas, SG. We retired to So. America a couple months ago on that bare minimum SS check ($1,350) for that very reason, and to get the ocean and mild climate we wanted but never thought we could afford. 2013-built condo for $90,000 on the sand (property tax $40)....something to think about.
Did you move to Ecuador?

I'm not near retirement age but have been researching and it seems that going south of the US and higher elevation is the golden ticket, as long as you are OK with some compromises and a little adventure!

Old 10-28-2016, 12:22 PM

3,435 posts, read 1,531,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Did you move to Ecuador?

I'm not near retirement age but have been researching and it seems that going south of the US and higher elevation is the golden ticket, as long as you are OK with some compromises and a little adventure!

Yes we did, Wolf. The vast majority of retirees choose the high elevations in the Andes where there is more culture, historical sites, spring-like weather: look up Cuenca. But we love the beach so that's where we are. COL and property taxes AND insurance on everything was killing us in the U.S. Definitely compromises here; "adventures" is a good way to view it. "Free-form" driving, for example. No police presence.
It's very different, but we are OK with it.

Today on the beach: a carrot, a watermelon, an onion, huge turtle shell, desiccated seal, thousands of little red crabs and some idiot with a dump truck stealing sand.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:40 PM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Did you move to Ecuador?

Sure like the occasional kidnapping and beheadings by the local drug cartel. No thank you.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:20 PM

3,690 posts, read 1,868,735 times
Husband and I live in TX and find it very reasonable. I am from TX he is from WA. The home we purchased this year would have cost at least 100k more than we paid.

Our highest electric bill was $203 in July. He likes the house very very cool. We paid that much for electricity in WA during January, so it is no big deal. Fuel prices, food and cheap entertainment, along with the reasonable housing cost make TX a winner in our eyes.

He is retired and I will retire the end of next year.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:58 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,070,124 times
I woud not want to retire in Dayton or Rochester

Old 10-28-2016, 02:46 PM

197 posts, read 160,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
I think you responded to the wrong post. I said nothing about PA. 😀
Mea culpa.

Please accept my apologies.My comments were generic and not personal anyway

Old 10-28-2016, 02:47 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,322,593 times
I am wondering if the article really means 'per person' with the assumption that a couple (each making the average SS amount) would be able to live relatively cheaply together in the same home in these places. I think it would be tight most places by oneself with that base amount incoming, unless you really scrimped. And they don't talk about what the amount for 'housing' with a paid off house includes but it should include maintenance (and a contingency 'fund' for emergencies/larger items), taxes, insurance, etc. and in most places (depending on the exact size and location of one's property) the amounts shown seem low to me to take care of all those things. Then add in not just heat/AC, but water/sewer/garbage collection, vehicle license/tax/insurance, tv/internet/phone and food .. and you are going to need those 'free museums'.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:06 PM

530 posts, read 537,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I woud not want to retire in Dayton or Rochester
... Yeah - Especially Rochester ... Been There - Done That - have the T-Shirt, th' Cap, 'n the Koozie to prove it.
Spent nearly a lifetime (20+ years) in NE Rochester; lived on a street directly behind Rochester General Hospital (Northside). Went back to visit a few years ago ... What a change! NOT a friendly place, at-tall!

Have some CHARD Family members who still live up there, but the town ain't the same as it ever was; It's gone 'way-downhill. I very-much dislike having to go back there, it's so depressing.
And, the weather won't win any awards, either. All that gray cloud cover off Lake Ontario ... just depressing.

Used to know how to drink beer there, though! The locals are pretty-good at that! Had a neighbor who worked nights at the Genesee Brewery ... He was always bringing "broken" 6-packs and cases home with him.
Each location has its drawbacks, and its blessings, I reckon!

Old 10-28-2016, 03:14 PM

1,360 posts, read 546,761 times
As long as the retiree has finished payments for his home mortgage, it is even doable in Honolulu. Here are why:

(1) Social Security income is not taxed by the State;
(2) Absurdly low property tax with huge exemption for senior couple ($120,000);
(3) Most area is accessible by City Bus. Annual Bus pass for senior: $40
(4) Minimal clothing expense: T-shirt, short and slipper. No winter clothes.
(5) Utilities: No heating charges in winter.
(6) Food: Many old folks grow vegetables in backyard year round. If living in a condo, City provides many tiny lots in residential neighborhood for plantation. Anyway seniors don't eat that much.

Of course, if the senior needs intensive care, then it is a problem. But it is a nationwide problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or