Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 05:23 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times

Advertisements

Owned a home and lived full-time in Mexico for 5 years (2008-2012). Had to return to US to care for elderly relative so we sold our MXN home. He died last year. We are currently looking to purchase another home in MX and return there to live out our days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 05:23 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Submariner, my social security is $1,074 after medicare. It's just me. Could I get along okay there?
My family flinches when I say Maine but really, how much different temperature wise can it be from Minnesota?
Among our close friends, we know people on SSDI of $750/month. Some are on SS with incomes as low as $800, others get SS as high as $1500/month.

So long as you own your house, it is not bad.

We have been here 11 years. We know a number of retirees who have moved here in the last 11 years, just as we did.

If you can not afford the $20k to buy a house, then obviously you will be more at the mercy of landlords. My youngest son's in-laws rent a 2bdrm house for $450/month.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:26 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Maine has overnight frosts in August; I doubt Minnesota does.
Really? I have not experienced that.

If you google the historical records, I bet that every state has one event of frost in August in the past 200 years.

That does not mean it is likely during your lifetime.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:20 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Among our close friends, we know people on SSDI of $750/month. Some are on SS with incomes as low as $800, others get SS as high as $1500/month.

We have been here 11 years. We know a number of retirees who have moved here in the last 11 years, just as we did.

If you can not afford the $20k to buy a house, then obviously you will be more at the mercy of landlords. My youngest son's in-laws rent a 2bdrm house for $450/month.
Submariner, how far north are you? I'm not looking for you to name your home town, but relative to, say, the southwestern border with NH, how far north (or maybe northeast)? I am just wondering where one could get a house for $20,000 or rent one for $450/month. To my NJ ears, that sounds like another world! LOL

Old 10-29-2016, 07:31 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Owned a home and lived full-time in Mexico for 5 years (2008-2012). Had to return to US to care for elderly relative so we sold our MXN home. He died last year. We are currently looking to purchase another home in MX and return there to live out our days.
What part of Mexico did you live in and where are you looking to move back to?

Moving abroad certainly isn't an option for everyone and won't work out so renting for a while first is a great idea to make sure you found your perfect place.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Submariner, how far north are you? I'm not looking for you to name your home town, but relative to, say, the southwestern border with NH, how far north (or maybe northeast)? I am just wondering where one could get a house for $20,000 or rent one for $450/month. To my NJ ears, that sounds like another world! LOL
I did a search near Caribou and it is possible to find some homes near the $20s. However, most need considerable work. I'm sure there are more available in some of the surrounding communities that may be less expensive and in need of fewer repairs. Even in Bangor there are some decent properties available near $50k. Even here in CT I have come across some nice condos under $40k with decent maintenance fees. It can be done. Hopefully at the retirement stage of life most people will have something of value that they have paid off that would allow them to secure a safe and comfortable place to live in retirement. Moving far away doesn't have to be a necessary requirement with a modest SS income in that case. For many people I know nearing retirement the biggest financial trouble they have gotten themselves into is taking nearly all the equity out of a house they had paid off or nearly paid off and/or borrowing or stop funding their retirement to pay for their children to go to college. College has been oversold and college and post-secondary educational opportunities are numerous. Being convinced that your child needs to go to a $50,000+ a year college to get a good job is a dangerous myth and one which has led many to positions where they feel they can never afford to retire.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:15 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I believe he is up by Bangor.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:38 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If you want a 3rd world country, where the cost of living is very low, where you can buy a nice condo for around $50,000, and where the climate is a compromise between cold and hot, and where there's lots of fishing, basketball, horses, and bourbon, you should try Kentucky.
Because of age and family consideration,we have moved dack to the money pit,CT..
We lived in North FL for 25 years,our exemptions,$72,000,hence no taxes and no pay back unlike CT,which if you were to qualify most area's will put a lein on your property payable at death or sold.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Best and most concise reason to own a tiny house.

Oh the horror of paying $450/month for 2BR. Around here people pay $600.mo for a room in an overcrowded 8-person house.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:44 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Maine has overnight frosts in August.
That sounds delightful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement