U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 05:47 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brambled View Post
...I recently read about the plight of a much older gentleman who is being threatened with eviction because of his smoking - he lives in a HUD apartment complex. HUD is going smoke-free and they are encouraging property owners to grandfather in their smoking residents, but the place he lives is saying HUD gives them the right to either make them quit or boot them out. These people don't have much longer, so why not let them live out their lives without the stress of being homeless? Just because someone is a non-smoker that doesn't give them the right to stomp on people who do. Consideration goes both ways.
It has happened here where I live:

Beaches woman, 82, worries she'll end up on cold winter streets of Jacksonville

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,329,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Couple of comments:

Of course I would not turn on a light switch if I had a 20% chance of dieing, that is why I am not a smoker. Again to be clear I never promoted the act of smoking, just pointing out that the grave forecast for every smoker is overstated.

As for Winwalker's post I'm sorry to read of all of those smoking deaths. But reading further you have known 5 and that's a lot more than most of us. Still if you going so far as to pull "a friend's mom" then your net is wide enough to have been cast over probably 100 smokers or more. And you know of 5 who have died out of over 100.

As for the NP again you see the higher numbers because you work in health care and obviously see the tragic results. But remember for every patient health care professionals like you see there are dozens of smokers you never see.
Actually, as an NP and an academic, I have the evidence of many, many studies published in medical journals over many years, plus my patients' experiences. However, if you or anyone else chooses to believe that smoking isn't all that bad for your health, I'm not going to convince you otherwise. And you certainly won't convince me. So we'll call it a draw.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:32 PM

10,462 posts, read 5,930,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Actually, as an NP and an academic, I have the evidence of many, many studies published in medical journals over many years, plus my patients' experiences. However, if you or anyone else chooses to believe that smoking isn't all that bad for your health, I'm not going to convince you otherwise. And you certainly won't convince me. So we'll call it a draw.
No problem Lori, no way I'll ever convince you. As I said this topic is much closer to you as you see it every day.

But just to be clear I never ever never said smoking isn't all that bad for you. My position was the effects of smoking commonly preached that virtually all smokers will die early from it is what I have been challenging. And again do your studies take into account that a smoker who dies of a heart attack may have died anyway as they have a family history or are 100 pounds overweight due to poor diet? I doubt it, he just goes down as a smoker who died of a heart attack and therefore the death is attributed to smoking. So I have to question the studies just a bit even though there is an obvious link.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:15 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,266,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have a position on smoking that is very unpopular for obvious reasons. And I apologize in advance if my post will cause you to relive the loss of a loved one to smoking. And for the record I am not a smoker.

But it seems pretty apparent to me that the dangers of smoking are bit overblown. Now do not get me wrong, I am NOT professing people take it And I understand there is more health concerns to smoking than just cancer. But if you were honest with yourself you would ask how many people you have known in your lifetime that have smoked. Then ask how many have died from it? .......Personally I have known dozens of smokers, many for 40 years or more, and not one has died from it.

Again not claiming it's not dangerous, of course it is. But the common belief that if you smoke it will kill you is simply not backed by the facts. The fact is you are less likely to die from smoking than you are to die from it.
My mother and two uncles. All COPD directly caused by smoking. All age 69 or less. What does your last sentance mean? The fact???? The FACT is that the more you smoke, the more it greatly increases your chance of dying younger, period. Just like malnutrition, obesity, alcoholism, etc , none of them is an instant death sentence, it is just a guarantee of a shorter life. It depends on if you are a one or two cig a day or 2 or 3 pack a day. You're still a smoker, but the effect is far different. A glass of wine a day or a bottle of gin a day, you are still a drinker. (Though a glass of wine a day may actually be beneficial) So yeah, different degrees of abuse mean different levels of results.

I can't stand it, never could. And I grew up with it as everyone smoked all around me. Inused to score at bowling leavues and tournaments in the 60's, because the bowlers didn't want to get grease pencil or the heat on their hands. The alleys were always a blue haze of smoke. But the money as a 10 year old (sometimes $20/day, and all you could eat & drink) made me put up with it.

Most people I know that smoked, actually quit. Mom and two uncles did not. From a very young age it just seemed SO stupid and ignorant to smoke, to me. I could never live anywhere it was common place in most locations. FWIW, I worked for Philip Morris in the cigarette plants in both Cabarrus county, NC and here in Richmond for almost 5 years. Lots of great friends there. Had to quit because even though the money was very good, it was just too hypocritical for me to work there, and act like I was ok with it. This was many years before my mom died. Here in Richmond, outside patios at restaurants allow smoking, so we can barely ever enjoy a meal outside at a restaurant. I'd rather they had a dedicated indoor smoking area with a separate air handler. Smoking is what makes much of traveling in Europe and Asia less desirable.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:58 PM

4,974 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I smoke & one of the conditions to living in my building is that it is smoke free. I can smoke 50 feet from the building, which really cut down my smoking last winter.

It's a hard question for me. I know they evicted 3 people when the building went smoke free. Prior to the evictions they were allowed to smoke outside in the entrance ways. It was tough for all of them & there is a lot of bitterness from those who were evicted.

I also understand the rights of the nonsmokers. They had to go through clouds of smoke to reach their apartment & that wasn't fair to them.

How does a person who is in their 80's stop smoking? It's a tough one. I'm in my 60's so it's easier for me to go outside.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:04 PM

10,462 posts, read 5,930,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
My mother and two uncles. All COPD directly caused by smoking. All age 69 or less. What does your last sentance mean? The fact???? The FACT is that the more you smoke, the more it greatly increases your chance of dying younger, period. Just like malnutrition, obesity, alcoholism, etc , none of them is an instant death sentence, it is just a guarantee of a shorter life. It depends on if you are a one or two cig a day or 2 or 3 pack a day. You're still a smoker, but the effect is far different. A glass of wine a day or a bottle of gin a day, you are still a drinker. (Though a glass of wine a day may actually be beneficial) So yeah, different degrees of abuse mean different levels of results.

I can't stand it, never could. And I grew up with it as everyone smoked all around me. Inused to score at bowling leavues and tournaments in the 60's, because the bowlers didn't want to get grease pencil or the heat on their hands. The alleys were always a blue haze of smoke. But the money as a 10 year old (sometimes $20/day, and all you could eat & drink) made me put up with it.

Most people I know that smoked, actually quit. Mom and two uncles did not. From a very young age it just seemed SO stupid and ignorant to smoke, to me. I could never live anywhere it was common place in most locations. FWIW, I worked for Philip Morris in the cigarette plants in both Cabarrus county, NC and here in Richmond for almost 5 years. Lots of great friends there. Had to quit because even though the money was very good, it was just too hypocritical for me to work there, and act like I was ok with it. This was many years before my mom died. Here in Richmond, outside patios at restaurants allow smoking, so we can barely ever enjoy a meal outside at a restaurant. I'd rather they had a dedicated indoor smoking area with a separate air handler. Smoking is what makes much of traveling in Europe and Asia less desirable.
I am very sorry for your loss, as I said in advance in my initial post I apologize if my post hit you harder than others. But you just said smoking is a guarantee of a shorter life and that is simply not true. It is for many but not for every person who ever smoked. This is the false perception I have been arguing.

I never claimed it was OK, I agreed that the more you smoke the higher the risk. But the belief that if you smoke it will always kill you is simply not true. You just listed 3 people, including your mother. Let me assume these are not the only smokers you have ever known or even been related to for that matter.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:52 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times
Do you feel that quality of life in older age is unimportant? (if one is lucky enough to get past age 65 or 69 or 70)

Forget the dying part. (480,000 people die each year in the U.S. from smoking, but forget that) Being tethered to an oxygen tank is not fun. Nor is blowing up to 10 times one's normal size due to emphysema - did you ever see a pic of Johnny Carson when he was suffering from & living with emphysema (and died from it later) - ballooned up enormously from fluid - a terrible sight to see - from long-term smoking.

Plus not being able to breathe normally because of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) or emphysema or cancer or heart disease is a very difficult way to live, and very frightening. And ever see the abdomen of someone with cancer - enormously filled with fluid - so uncomfortable one wants to die.

Did you see the post way upthread from a nurse or health worker who says her patients are so uncomfortable and suffering to such a degree from the effects of smoking that they almost wish they were dead instead?

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...s_cig_smoking/

Last edited by matisse12; 10-31-2016 at 06:27 PM..

Old 10-31-2016, 07:15 PM

25,329 posts, read 41,438,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Interested in finding out the smoking habits and laws around the country.

No smoking in restaurants here and wouldn't like moving to an area that it is allowed. Quit smoking myself a long time ago and just don't want to breathe anymore if I can help it .

If you have any info that may be helpful to others moving in retirement please share and don't forget to post your location.

After smoking for 40+ years, I quit smoking 9 years, 7 months, 1 day ago.

I quit smoking in New Mexico.

There were several, many attempts...

Willpower and the miracle drug called CHANTIX is how I finally quit.

I still have my last pack as a memory: http://www.city-data.com/forum/8122035-post1.html

Old 10-31-2016, 07:31 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,916,553 times
I do not smoke, my partner does not smoke, my kids don't smoke. I do have friends who still smoke. I don't make a big deal about it, but it s not allowed inside my home. If they must smoke, they can smoke outdoors on the deck.

I am really allergic to cigarette smoke, therefore I am really happy it is not allowed in restaurants, on planes, in stores, etc.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:10 PM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
I was a smoker until the mid 1970s. I started getting such bad headaches from it that I had to give it up. It's really hard to stop--I used to wait until the headache went away and then light up again and smoke until the headache came back!

Anyway, I can remember trying to eat breakfast in a restaurant in the 1980s when they used to have smoking sections and non smoking sections. My meal was ruined by the blinding headache I got from the smoke drifting over to the non smoking side. I never ate in a restaurant again until smoking was banned a few years later.

I lived in an apartment where the guy in the next unit smoked so much that I could smell it coming through the walls. He died within a year of lung cancer.

With retirement I considered moving to Virginia until I saw the set up of many of the apartments and realized that if you were sitting out on your balcony, someone could be sitting practically next to you on their balcony, smoking. Headache? No thanks. Worse, some places have communal outside areas instead of private balconies--I probably wouldn't be able to use them due to the smokers.

Massachusetts and CT have pretty good smoking laws so I guess I'll just stay around here. I don't see many people smoking either--but I'll still be wary of the sitting on the balcony next to a smoker problem. Strangely, they can smoke on the beach--it wafts right over to you. I try to move to another part of the beach but there's always a smoker somewhere. Sometimes when you go for a walk you have to pass someone blowing smoke out of their nostrils. I usually hold my breath or put a kleenix over my mouth and pretend that I'm just blowing my nose. It's just to get away from the smoke and avoid that persistent headache--it's kind of embarrassing and I don't want to offend the smoker; I just get so sick from the smell of the smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or