Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2016, 02:00 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's not the type of tobacco, it is combustion that causes the health hazards: When smoking Indian cigarettes you will inhale carbon monoxide, particulate matter, carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and toxic nitrosamines just as you would with any commercial cigarette. I have attended a large number of autopsies (I worked in LE & did forensic work) and if you ever actually saw the lungs of a smoker I can guarantee you that you would figure out some way to quit. In case you are interested, here are some photos: 5 Smoker's Lungs Pictures That Will Shock You | New Health Advisor
You forget that man is a gambler at heart! You can show these photo's to teenagers, and what may they say?

"I had this Uncle who smoked for 50 years and he never developed any symptoms, so I'll take my chances!"

And God forbid they should have met my Father who smoked for 50 years and never had any respiratory problems until he died at age 96 of Alzheimer's!

And some smart-aleck teenager might show you photo's of deadly car crashes, mentioning those who simply couldn't give up that dangerous habit of driving/owning a car!

And go on to show you photo's of those who never smoked, the man with Lou Gehrig's disease, those with AIDS, those who suffered a paralytic stroke, those caught up in natural disasters, etc.

I've met up with enough people, who quit smoking, took it up again, quit, resumed the habit, a wife/husband who quit, decided to resume the habit, this should be part of your retirement planning, considering the if's to where you plan to retire, particularly in a colder region of the country.

And never suggest quitting, no matter what the addiction. Best: cut down, cut down, cut down! If you can get a smoker to cut down from 2 packs to 1 pack, a victory has been scored!

My Aunt, mentioned in a previous post, has emphysema, and at 80, she quit for a year, thinking her lung capacity would return, and she felt no better. Sorry! The irreversible damage has been done! And? She's back smoking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 05:20 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Heavens, you listing all of this, above, and then seeing it should tell you volumes about yourself.
'Ya know those posts you put up, then regret and can't change later?. Well that would have been one of those posts. Just got frustrated when I was told that my position was not clear.

Like the recent post that claimed I never acknowledge the correlation between smoking and other health issues. I did acknowledge this, several times. I could supply the quotes but I have learned my lesson.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:46 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Really it is no worse than those that believe the opposite.

It is what it is. Obviously no one is going to change anyone else's mind.

I just hope that people might just question things instead of blindly believing. It really helps to dig and find out where some of these health organizations get their funding.

It's not his opinion, couldn't care less about that, it's the incessant persistance. Like force feeding his view and then boohooing endlessly about not being understood but not letting it go.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:48 AM

This whole thread has morphed into a "he said/she said". Hardly productive.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:31 AM

1,204 posts, read 872,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
This whole thread has morphed into a "he said/she said". Hardly productive.

Maybe everyone should be smoking something different.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Maybe everyone should be smoking something different.

You got it. Works for me.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:22 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Often forgotten, tobacco is an herb, with medicinal properties. The safest way to consume tobacco is pipe smoking, followed by cigars, and the worst of the worst, is store-bought cigarettes. It's also serves as an appetite suppressant.

The Native Americans of South America would make a tea out of it and drink the tobacco, which is far safer than smoking store-bought cigarettes.

I use Indian tobacco with no chemicals, and I use the empty filter tubes to make my cigarettes, been doing it for 14 years. Would never consider buying a store-bought cigarette!

We owe our freedom from the British to tobacco, as it was a lifesaver for our country. When Benjamin Franklin went to France to negotiate a loan for help drive the British out, the banks wanted 5 million pounds of tobacco in payment, as the French were already heavily addicted to tobacco.

Thus, a true Patriot of this country uses tobacco in some form or another, no?

I sometimes have to laugh about this but it was MY ancestor who introduced tobacco to VA 'way back when'. Good ol' John Rolf, my 12th great grandfather. I'm not sure he'd be proud of what the market has become today or the illnesses generated by smoking but if he contributed to our freedom with it then hooray for him!

Old 02-18-2021, 11:21 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
My friend works in a doctor's office. If you are a smoker, then that's the cause of your problem -- smoking. Period. They don't bother to look for any other cause or offer much treatment -- everything is because you smoke and if you stop you will be cured.
I have always believed this. The medical professionals only pay attention to your bad habits and flaws, and that's the reason for all your physical troubles. Same with drinkers, same with recreational drug users, and/or the same with coffee drinkers! I agree with you.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Interested in finding out the smoking habits and laws around the country.

No smoking in restaurants here and wouldn't like moving to an area that it is allowed. Quit smoking myself a long time ago and just don't want to breathe anymore if I can help it .

If you have any info that may be helpful to others moving in retirement please share and don't forget to post your location.
I like to smoke cigars on my birthday but thats the only time i use tobacco products.I live in Texas.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:38 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was complaining to my doc one time about not being able to gain weight and I still really want to. He told me that I have a high metabolism that keeps me from gaining weight BUT if I'd quit smoking it would slow down and I would gain weight. I know that when I wasn't smoking for six weeks my appetite increased a LOT. They say food tastes better but I never noticed that. I was just hungry all the time and did a lot of 'grazing'. Not junk food though. Mostly fresh fruits, cheese sticks, etc.. So, there could be something to it.

Were you actually hungry or you needed something to fill in a void?

Desert Brat - I'm glad you chose healthy foods instead of junk. I had the same problem with non-weight gain. My thoughts were: "I burned more than I took in"

I quit. My hands needed something to insert into something to my mouth. This went on for about three-six months.

Later, the emptiness void slowly evaporated but it wasn't easy. Quitting is the hardest thing I ever did. It's no joke. I do admit it's a disgusting, expensive, and ill-mannered habit.

I mean ill-mannered, unlike doing drugs - drugs (using as an example - NO, I don't!) are hidden whereas cigarette smoking is fully exposed until the laws changed it. I don't agree with some of the laws like the given "designated smoking areas" right outside the employees' entrance doorway. Or it's still not right to treat smokers like aliens and make them stand in an uncovered area in the middle of the parking lot.

Florida State: I worked in a hospital for years. We had to go away from the building - walk across the street - totally off the hospital property. You would be surprised to see doctors, nurses, managers, kitchen workers, and volunteers all outside sharing a common habit.

As a smoker patient using the ER, it's worst than being an employee. Being an employee, you know the rules, and where to go. But as a person coming in on the other side of the same building - maybe with a family member? Go outside to smoke and talk on the phone - you can't. There is a security guard(s) watching the glass sliding doors and discourages smoking within a minute or two - before you can even pull out your lighter - he's standing there looking down on the smoker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement