U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,541,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While pot is legal here, smoking of any kind is not banned indoors at any place open to the public, and within 25 feet of an entrance. A minimum of 75% of all hotels and other lodging must be non-smoking. That leaves smoking limited to a person's your own home, car, or outdoors away from any buildings. This is state law, so it applies to all of Washington.
You said smoking is not banned. Don't you mean the opposite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 02:51 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,541,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I used to tend bar in the 80's, most of the regulars smoked. Many are dead now but not one from smoking. Personally I have known dozens of smokers, many for 40 years or more, and not one has died from it.
Your post is purely anecdotal. How could you possibly know that smoking played no part in their deaths? Many cancers and other diseases are strongly linked to smoking, not just lung cancer.

Strokes, heart disease, many other things, very strongly linked to smoking, as other illnesses are, too.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:55 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
DaveinMtAiry, you say many of the smokers you knew in bars did not die from smoking. That they died from something else.

Smoking often causes heart disease -heart disease is the number one killer in the U.S..

Smoking also can cause Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) which includes emphysema, lung disease, and circulatory disease.

Smoking can also cause congestive heart failure and arterial disease (falling under heart disease) and cancers throughout the body including cancer of the pancreas and liver.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-28-2016 at 03:28 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 03:15 PM

14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have a position on smoking that is very unpopular for obvious reasons. And I apologize in advance if my post will cause you to relive the loss of a loved one to smoking. And for the record I am not a smoker.

But it seems pretty apparent to me that the dangers of smoking are bit overblown. Now do not get me wrong, I am NOT professing people take it up or not try to quit. And I understand there is more health concerns to smoking than just cancer. But if you were honest with yourself you would ask how many people you have known in your lifetime that have smoked. Then ask how many have died from it? I used to tend bar in the 80's, most of the regulars smoked. Many are dead now but not one from smoking. Personally I have known dozens of smokers, many for 40 years or more, and not one has died from it.

Again not claiming it's not dangerous, of course it is. But the common belief that if you smoke it will kill you is simply not backed by the facts. The fact is you are less likely to die from smoking than you are to die from it.

And then there's the quality of life or lack of it from chronic COPD. I was a respiratory therapist for 25 years and most of the patients I treated were suffering from years of smoking. Yes, it didn't kill them, but the agony they went through for years made a lot of them wish they were dead.

Smokers have been pushed so far under ground here and I'm grateful. For years I couldn't enjoy a drink out because of the cigarette smoke. I've walked out of restaurants because they're non smoking section was a joke. There is one hardware store in town that is filled with cigarette smoke. I try to avoid it but the owner sits there and smokes all day long. It's obnoxious, and very selfish. She's not that old but she can barely get around the store. It's sad.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:19 PM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Your post is purely anecdotal. How could you possibly know that smoking played no part in their deaths? Many cancers and other diseases are strongly linked to smoking, not just lung cancer.

Strokes, heart disease, many other things, very strongly linked to smoking, as other illnesses are, too.

As I said very clearly smoking causes other problems other than cancer. But in this group's case several died from prostate cancer, others simply from old age, one was in a car wreck at the age of 65, another from liver disease (drinking no doubt). If you want to argue that smoking caused their prostate cancer then go right ahead but that would be total speculation.

In my peer group (late 50's) I know probably 10-15 current or former smokers and none are dead or even close.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:28 PM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
And then there's the quality of life or lack of it from chronic COPD. I was a respiratory therapist for 25 years and most of the patients I treated were suffering from years of smoking. Yes, it didn't kill them, but the agony they went through for years made a lot of them wish they were dead.

Smokers have been pushed so far under ground here and I'm grateful. For years I couldn't enjoy a drink out because of the cigarette smoke. I've walked out of restaurants because they're non smoking section was a joke. There is one hardware store in town that is filled with cigarette smoke. I try to avoid it but the owner sits there and smokes all day long. It's obnoxious, and very selfish. She's not that old but she can barely get around the store. It's sad.
I get it and I feel the same way about being around smoke. And as a respiratory therapist no doubt you saw the worst side of smoking. I get that too. But that's like working in the emergency room, seeing all the car crash victims, and having a different opinion of the dangers of driving than the rest of us. Face it, your view is slanted by your work experience. A bar guy or construction worker will argue that they see smokers who live long lives all the time.

Again I do not expect to win this debate and I am not in any way trying to say the dangers of smoking are not very real. But I completely believe the belief that if you smoke it will kill you simply is not true. There are old people still smoking all over the place.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:30 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
It's important to understand the link between smoking and heart disease.

And the link between smoking and arterial disease, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), emphysema, lung disease, cancers of the pancreas, liver, and cancer of many other parts of the body, circulatory disease.

Disease in this context does NOT mean just cancer - it means deterioration of the heart, blood vessels, arteries, lungs, circulatory & pulmonary systems.

One should not look to one's acquaintances for statistical proof or causation or linking. One only needs to look at the multitudes of scientific and medical studies.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:39 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Interested in finding out the smoking habits and laws around the country.

No smoking in restaurants here and wouldn't like moving to an area that it is allowed. Quit smoking myself a long time ago and just don't want to breathe anymore if I can help it .

If you have any info that may be helpful to others moving in retirement please share and don't forget to post your location.
I think the shorter list is places that actually allow smoking anywhere. Most places seem to have a ban these days. I do know that Wyoming is one of the few places where you can smoke in bars.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:53 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times
I woke up one morning and my lung had collapsed during the night. I will never forget the pain. That was when smoking stopped for me. That was 55 years ago. The less you are exposed to smoking, the more offensive it becomes.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:57 PM

1,078 posts, read 710,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think the shorter list is places that actually allow smoking anywhere. Most places seem to have a ban these days. I do know that Wyoming is one of the few places where you can smoke in bars.
That's what I am thinking but will need to find out for myself evidently as this has turned into a thread for the health forum

How about Northwest Arkansas, what are the laws there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or