U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 12:50 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,751,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because the OP retired to Las Vegas from San Diego and then moved back because there were too many smokers in Nevada.

Funny.

Last edited by volosong; 10-29-2016 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: fixed quote hypertags
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 12:52 PM

25,347 posts, read 41,487,807 times
This thread will remain in the Retirement forum...

Reason: Sticky: Please, don't report all general threads as off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
Not every thread that has been started here, even though there is a general forum for the topic, has to be moved immediately. Retirement forum has become much more than just a retirement issues discussion. If someone starts a general thread here, they usually know what they are doing so please, stop swarming us with reports.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 PM

29,794 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because the OP retired to Las Vegas from San Diego and then moved back because there were too many smokers in Nevada.
Smoking was not on my check sheet when deciding where to transplant to. Perhaps it was worthy of consideration. My next door neighbors smoke and sit on their porch and do so. Sometimes talking to them is a very short nod because of.

Last edited by volosong; 10-29-2016 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: fixed quote hypertags

Old 10-29-2016, 02:01 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,296,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
That last analogy is off the mark. A smoker instantly effects people around him, to assume that the person to his left will drink so much he/she will kill someone is total nonsense.. And let's not forget the smoker in the bar is obviously drinking too, why assume only the non-smoker carries a larger risk of drunk driving?

But I do kind of agree with NB about obnoxious ex-smokers. And I do believe smokers are treated unfairly, smoke free campuses being one of many examples. Last time I checked this is America and we have the right to make our own decisions. They should be able to supply designated smoking areas that do not require the leper, er I mean smoker, to walk to his car and drive off campus just to be able to smoke.
Why would you assume the smoker is drinking? I've been in a bar numerous times and drank nothing more than water with lemon or Sprite. Some of us there are designated drivers or non drinkers.
Which makes your assumption just that, an assumption.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:14 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,541,028 times
Even after all these years...my Wife is smokin'....smokin' hot

Old 10-29-2016, 02:25 PM

1,085 posts, read 715,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yeah, why is it in the Retirement Forum???
Reaching out to other people in different areas so I don't make the same mistake twice.

This wasn't about health it was more about the habit and hoping to avoid breathing 2nd hand smoke. I have few friends that smoke and don't see each other often.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:34 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,586,130 times
I think smokers could benefit from consideration for others. After all it is the ones with their me-first-and-all-be-damned attitude that reinforce ill will toward people who use tobacco.

No where was I more reminded of this than the last time I visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. Their militant attitude towards smoking anywhere near the buildings combined with serving people who were ill and already not in much of a mood to think of others seemed to cause an excess of littering.

The refusal to place ashtrays near none-smoking signs contributes to messy areas and the curbsides directly across from the clinic and the hospitals were just inches deep in cigarette butts. A distressing sight but not nearly as alarming as all the surgical patients, even shuffling their IV units across the street, to stand in their hospital gowns and relieve their withdrawal symptoms. What a sight.

Another place I see what appears to be unnecessary cruelty in enforcement is local nursing homes. In the winter it can get down below zero. When they can convince someone to push them outside I see the poor old addicts lined up in bitter weather to have a smoke. Is this kind of treatment really necessary as someone is near the end of their life?

I'm a retired health professional so I'm all about healthy habits. But my belief is that you treat the whole patient as he comes to you. There is a time and place for encouraging lifestyle changes and it's important not to cause additional emotional stress during times of trauma and healing, I think.

I know I'm preaching. It's my thing, I guess.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:35 PM

10,475 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why would you assume the smoker is drinking? I've been in a bar numerous times and drank nothing more than water with lemon or Sprite. Some of us there are designated drivers or non drinkers.
Which makes your assumption just that, an assumption.

You claimed the non-smoker was automaticaly drunk and a danger to the road, and you are calling kemout for assumptions?now you are harping on the 1 in 100 possibility that the smoker hangs in a bar while not drinking. Of course the non-smoker could not be drinking as well right? Or did you forget about that possibility?

Face it your post made no sense, stop digging a bigger hole for yourself.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 10-29-2016 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 02:36 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,586,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Reaching out to other people in different areas so I don't make the same mistake twice.

This wasn't about health it was more about the habit and hoping to avoid breathing 2nd hand smoke. I have few friends that smoke and don't see each other often.
I'm afraid I am off topic, then. I had hoped to offer a broader perspective.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:50 PM

10,475 posts, read 5,941,871 times
As the poster who took this in a different direction I hope that was OK, lots of threads go off of their original course and it sparks a good debate.

I'm not one to comment about reps I get but I was surprised to see how many I received for my post claiming the dangers of smoking are a bit overstated. Obviously others feel the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or