Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 05:03 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
It is miserable in smaller bars in Las Vegas that have gaming, as smoking is allowed if the bars have poker machines. But people sit and chain smoke even if they are not gambling. I shoot pool in two leagues and there is no way to avoid it. Bartenders and waitresses do not like it and don't get health benefits that balance the risk to their health at work. Some of them try to make the air as clean as possible but they are small businesses that cannot afford state of the art smoke eaters and ventilation. Businesses don't want gamblers to leave their machines to smoke outside as they will lose money. Or so the story goes. The money for these businesses is in gambling. My experience is that many of the smokers are not gambling and they smoke indoors because they are too lazy or inconsiderate to go outside. Some do go outside but not enough to make a difference. And vaping with all kind of odd flavors and cigars added in the mix make some places unbearable. Ewww.

I am fascinated at this. Here in MD smoking in bars/restaurants has been banned for so long it just feels like the norm. And since smokers are far outnumbered by non-smokers most of us are happy. But it appears as if smoking gamblers outnumber non-smokers in Las Vegas and that is surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 05:12 AM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Dave has covered Maryland so I'll just say what I always do, there are no more obnoxious people than converts to something or reformed the particular vice goes here.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The guy sitting next to me in a bar doesn't blow his alcohol towards me.
And the guy sitting next to me smoking does not get into his vehicle drunk, attempt to drive and kill someone besides himself.........

Old 10-29-2016, 06:14 AM

That last analogy is off the mark. A smoker instantly effects people around him, to assume that the person to his left will drink so much he/she will kill someone is total nonsense.. And let's not forget the smoker in the bar is obviously drinking too, why assume only the non-smoker carries a larger risk of drunk driving?

But I do kind of agree with NB about obnoxious ex-smokers. And I do believe smokers are treated unfairly, smoke free campuses being one of many examples. Last time I checked this is America and we have the right to make our own decisions. They should be able to supply designated smoking areas that do not require the leper, er I mean smoker, to walk to his car and drive off campus just to be able to smoke.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Interested in finding out the smoking habits and laws around the country.

No smoking in restaurants here and wouldn't like moving to an area that it is allowed. Quit smoking myself a long time ago and just don't want to breathe anymore if I can help it .

If you have any info that may be helpful to others moving in retirement please share and don't forget to post your location.
It isn't just smoking in public establishments. There are far more smokers in NC than where we came from and cigarette smoke can be everywhere where not banned and monitored. That includes beaches.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:50 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
That last analogy is off the mark. A smoker instantly effects people around him, to assume that the person to his left will drink so much he/she will kill someone is total nonsense.. And let's not forget the smoker in the bar is obviously drinking too, why assume only the non-smoker carries a larger risk of drunk driving?

But I do kind of agree with NB about obnoxious ex-smokers. And I do believe smokers are treated unfairly, smoke free campuses being one of many examples. Last time I checked this is America and we have the right to make our own decisions. They should be able to supply designated smoking areas that do not require the leper, er I mean smoker, to walk to his car and drive off campus just to be able to smoke.
Agreed. As long as smoking is legal, banning the practice in enormous outdoor areas is ridiculous. The government is fine with smokers indirectly supporting tobacco farming by smoking, but then punishes the smoker by saying they can't smoke anywhere. That's hypocrisy at its finest. I quit twice before, but have picked up the habit again, and make it a point not to be obnoxious about it. But I refuse to follow some dumb rule banning it on huge campuses. If I am away from others, I'll smoke one whether a sign says I can or not.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I am fascinated at this. Here in MD smoking in bars/restaurants has been banned for so long it just feels like the norm. And since smokers are far outnumbered by non-smokers most of us are happy. But it appears as if smoking gamblers outnumber non-smokers in Las Vegas and that is surprising.
Not just Vegas. Maryland/Northern Virginia's lack of smokers can become very obvious elsewhere.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:

After I quit smoking one of the consequences was developing headaches from smoke. One of the economic consequences of smoking is that some will avoid areas that ban it and others will avoid areas that allow it.
That can play out out sorta big in parts of NC. There are some supermarkets you often have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get in from employees and others smoking out front. Others never!

Old 10-29-2016, 07:34 AM

Yeah it's idiotic to allow smokers right in front of a building doorway. That is way too intrusive.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:41 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Do you live in an area where laws are enforced only by complaint? And do the people who complain have to give out their name? It should be anonymous.
This encourages people to call up and leave anonymous complaints to harass someone they do not like. Bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement