U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2016, 10:51 AM
 
3,196 posts, read 1,817,424 times
Reputation: 8438

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
I am really irritated when they ask me that. I am healthy and in good physical condition. I usually reply, "Son, I could bench press you twenty times. I think I got this." Another annoying question is "Did you find everything?" I usual say something like "I couldn't find the frozen raccoon."
I would think in Idaho the frozen raccoon would be next to the buckets of muskrat entrails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2016, 11:02 AM
 
3,196 posts, read 1,817,424 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero100 View Post
I'm 6'6" and 250 lbs, and I'm constantly amused when a scrawny bagger 1/2 my size asks if I need help. Clearly a corporate policy.
Size is no indication of the desire for help. How do they know you don't have debilitating back issues that could be aggravated by lifting full bags of groceries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 11:17 AM
 
343 posts, read 426,608 times
Reputation: 404
I ask them to carry me out. I love riding in the cart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 11:30 AM
 
Location: EPWV
11,062 posts, read 6,205,674 times
Reputation: 12229
I knew some cashier's are required to ask certain questions, re: did you find everything you needed? Though sometimes even when the customer said no, the cashier continued with the transaction as if they didn't hear you. I get how it frustrates the customer as if why bother asking, if you didn't care in the 1st place? Then, I get how the employee feels having to ask questions and if the boss has more than ONE thing that they want the employee to ask.


I've been asked by other customers if I could help them get an item off from one of the higher shelves. I'm not especially tall and have even asked my hubby if he's with me and I can't reach an item on a higher shelf. Sometimes the item I need to reach on a higher shelf is even further to the back in which case I need to be taller with longer arms as well.


Carts in general can be hard to maneuver, wheels pull to one side and if you have to use that cart to get to your car when it is snowy and slushy, it just makes it more difficult. I can totally understand.


As one customer to another, I'm more than willing to help providing I'm able to. I've got those times when the weather or whatever else it might be, affects my joints and muscles too.


Wonder if the store can have a check-in kiosk where one can sign up for assistance during their shopping excursion? They can be given something like a beeper. The store employee collects the beeper either upon shopper exiting the store or prior to assistance getting cart to vehicle for unloading. Maybe this idea would help to cut down on all the questions?

Last edited by cat1116; 11-02-2016 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: edited to add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 11:51 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,167 posts, read 20,496,363 times
Reputation: 26446
I shop at HEB and pretty often they will ask if we need help out with the groceries, even when my husband and kids bagged the groceries. It's not an age thing here, it's just what they do.

Walmart doesn't do the same thing and whenever I'm on my way into the store and I see an older lady putting her groceries in the car and she has heavy things like big dog food bags or cases of water to load, I ask if she wants a hand with them. I know better than to ask the older men if they need a hand...they'd rather throw their backs out in the parking lot than accept help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 04:26 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
1,424 posts, read 2,432,597 times
Reputation: 1776
I shop at two different local grocery stores and the baggers always ask customers if they would like help out to their car. If you do want help, they will wheel your cart out and put your groceries into your trunk. I’ve never needed help.

Quote:
Wonder if the store can have a check-in kiosk where one can sign up for assistance during their shopping excursion? They can be given something like a beeper. The store employee collects the beeper either upon shopper exiting the store or prior to assistance getting cart to vehicle for unloading. Maybe this idea would help to cut down on all the questions?
I've seen on occasion a customer in one of the motorized carts with a grocery store employee following along with a shopping cart, retrieving the items the customer wanted from the shelf and putting them into the larger shopping cart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Reputation: 11007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I knew some cashier's are required to ask certain questions, re: did you find everything you needed? Though sometimes even when the customer said no, the cashier continued with the transaction as if they didn't hear you. I get how it frustrates the customer as if why bother asking, if you didn't care in the 1st place? Then, I get how the employee feels having to ask questions and if the boss has more than ONE thing that they want the employee to ask.


I've been asked by other customers if I could help them get an item off from one of the higher shelves. I'm not especially tall and have even asked my hubby if he's with me and I can't reach an item on a higher shelf. Sometimes the item I need to reach on a higher shelf is even further to the back in which case I need to be taller with longer arms as well.


Carts in general can be hard to maneuver, wheels pull to one side and if you have to use that cart to get to your car when it is snowy and slushy, it just makes it more difficult. I can totally understand.


As one customer to another, I'm more than willing to help providing I'm able to. I've got those times when the weather or whatever else it might be, affects my joints and muscles too.


Wonder if the store can have a check-in kiosk where one can sign up for assistance during their shopping excursion? They can be given something like a beeper. The store employee collects the beeper either upon shopper exiting the store or prior to assistance getting cart to vehicle for unloading. Maybe this idea would help to cut down on all the questions?

re: the bolded...I've noticed that too and it aggravates me. If I ask, and they say no, I'll ask them what they are looking for and actually write it down. Sometimes it's there and they didn't see it but I always give the notes to the dept. manager.


Walmart lowered their shelves in the grocery section just because they were too high for a lot of people. Especially short women, like me! They still seem kind of high to me but I don't have as much trouble as I used to. I'm always offering to reach things for other people.


One of the things I love about my customers is how many of them will jump in and help the customer in front of them unload their items onto the belt. They do it mostly for the much older people but will help anyone who looks like they need it. They are awesome.


Your beeper idea sounds pretty good but I don't trust people to not steal the dang things. Thank goodness it doesn't snow here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Reputation: 11007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I shop at HEB and pretty often they will ask if we need help out with the groceries, even when my husband and kids bagged the groceries. It's not an age thing here, it's just what they do.

Walmart doesn't do the same thing and whenever I'm on my way into the store and I see an older lady putting her groceries in the car and she has heavy things like big dog food bags or cases of water to load, I ask if she wants a hand with them. I know better than to ask the older men if they need a hand...they'd rather throw their backs out in the parking lot than accept help.

Walmart cashiers don't ask everybody, that's true, but they DO provide carry out if it's asked for. If they ask at the beginning of the transaction I hit the code right away rather than wait till the end because who knows how long it'll take them to get someone there? I just automatically ask people who have big and heavy items if they'd like help out. Maybe people don't know that we provide that service??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Reputation: 11007
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
I shop at two different local grocery stores and the baggers always ask customers if they would like help out to their car. If you do want help, they will wheel your cart out and put your groceries into your trunk. Iíve never needed help.



I've seen on occasion a customer in one of the motorized carts with a grocery store employee following along with a shopping cart, retrieving the items the customer wanted from the shelf and putting them into the larger shopping cart.

I've done that for customers myself but they didn't use a separate cart for their stuff. A front end manager will ask if I'd help out and, of course, I will! It gets me away from the register for a while and I enjoy helping them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2016, 09:14 AM
 
3,196 posts, read 1,817,424 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
When I was growing up 30-40 years ago in Boston most grocery stores had the bagger carry out the groceries to your car as part of their job. They did it for every customer. When I was working as a bagger in high school in the mid 90's we were required to ask every customer if they needed help out to their car
Did they always have an extra bagger at each checkout waiting to get the next customer, or was business that slow that there was no one else in line until that cashier's bagger got back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top