U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 10:11 PM

5,248 posts, read 3,020,732 times

Advertisements

They always ask us at Winn-Dxie and Publix and they always did at Safeway in AZ. We both use canes, but I see it as a courtesy, not a put down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 10:59 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,390,517 times
When we shopped at Dierberg's in St. Louis we were always asked. Most of the time we two shopped together, and I always told them "I brought my help." By the way, Dierbergs is a great local chain. I still miss buying groceries there.

Here in the PNW, I shop at WINCO and Whole Foods. The latter is where I am asked if I need help. It isn't that so much that I find slightly annoying. Here is what that nice man says, "Miss, would you like help with your groceries?"

I hate being addressed as Miss. I am no Miss. I am, rather proudly, a Madam. But no one uses that term in a respectful way now. So, I suppose the nice man is reduced to using Miss to a 70 year old woman.

But, yes, they ask and I always decline. That time might come, but right now I'm still able bodied.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:08 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,120,472 times
I have shopped at Publix here in Fl or 40 years and they ALWAYS ask if they can take out the groceries. I tell them no because my car looks like a junk pile and I have to hunt spots to put the groceries in....I don't mind. The only annoying thing is when after I say "No, thank you", they respond with "are you sure ?" That's when I get hostile. Do I look like I am senile and don't know my own mind.....?

Publix, for a number of years, has had a no tipping policy and the baggers will not take it or will give it back if you put it into a pocket or something. Publix is very strict about that. Helping with the groceries is a courtesy, they say.

the day will come when I will probably need the help so, I don't get upset.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:19 PM

1,914 posts, read 962,322 times
At my Publix, you almost have to beat them off with a stick to keep them from helping you out to your car. It's always been that way and I appreciate it. I usually say no, unless I have something heavy to heave into the trunk.

The hardest times were when my daughter was a teenager and most of the bag boys went to high school with her and wanted her to go out with them. I probably could have gotten any one of them to wash and wax my car while I was shopping - LOL.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:54 AM

4,060 posts, read 9,116,556 times
In Arizona they ask everyone. I am 56 but have gray hair and they always ask me. I don't take offense. If I'm ever injured I'll gladly except but for now I can manage fine.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:34 AM

6,000 posts, read 6,855,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They always ask at our grocery store and don't even let you go by yourself if you have a cart.

That's so people don't steal their carts!

Old 10-31-2016, 01:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,222,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We do most of our shopping at Publix - where "Shopping Is A Pleasure" .

And the baggers always ask everyone - regardless of age - if they'd like help taking their groceries out to the car. After 40+ years shopping at Publix - we're not insulted at all. Just used to good service. Robyn

P.S. I think you can edit your thread title if your go to advanced editing changes.
My Publix in the retirement community in my town make it standard practice to ask even for younger folks.

I think it's a nice thing for them to do. I keep telling them I can handle it, but wait until I'm 80 yrs old and maybe I'll take them up on it.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:56 AM

17,053 posts, read 17,369,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Darn it!
None, absolutely NONE of the grocery stores in my area ask if you need help with your groceries. While my husband and I may look young (we are in our mid 60s) I have rheumatoid arthritis and my husband has physical difficulties walking. It is especially difficult in winter pushing a filled shopping cart through the snow & slush to our car.

Darn it, I really wish employees would ask if we need help because I would say "Yes".

BTW, there have been a couple of times when fellow customers have noticed us struggling to push the shopping cart, when we have been outside in the parking lot, and have helped us.
---------

PS. After reading about all of those stores that ask you if you want help, I've decided that I may start to ask for help when we need it. It is especially difficult as the parking lot of the grocery store where we shop is on a hill, so you are pushing a full cart uphill . Sometimes, especially in winter ice and snow, my husband pushes the cart and I go on the other side and try to help him by pulling on it or we both push it.

Sheesh! They always have a bagger for each lane, so I wonder why they don't ask if you need help?
Wow, I can't imagine all those grocery stores where they always ask customers if need help. I'm envious.

I really wonder why the ones in my area don't ask (especially the grocery store where the parking lot is on a hill and not level pavement)? I may call their stores tomorrow and ask them.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:59 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,257,322 times
At a grocery we used while in Iowa, the employees are required to help if you take the cart outside so they can bring the cart back inside. Where we are now, every customer is asked.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:14 AM

19,815 posts, read 19,910,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, I can't imagine all those grocery stores where they always ask customers if need help. I'm envious.

I really wonder why the ones in my area don't ask (especially the grocery store where the parking lot is on a hill and not level pavement)? I may call their stores tomorrow and ask them.
I believe if you request help, it will be provided at most stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or