U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:45 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times

Advertisements

I wasn't all that long ago I was asked every time I went to the store. I can remember shopping with mom when I was a kid and all the department stores would deliver your packages the next day for free. I wish all the stores would offer to help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM

1,912 posts, read 961,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm also a Publix shopper. They always ask even if you only have two bags. I usually tell them I don't need any help unless it's dark and then I always have someone go out to the car with me. One of the reasons I will never buy groceries in Wal-Mart. You're just too easy of a target for people with bad intentions while you are loading up your car especially when you are a petite woman.
My previous Publix (which wasn't in the best neighborhood) had a policy that no woman walked to her car after dark by herself. You were walked to your car whether you liked it or not, by the security guard, one of the managers or a bag boy (who was usually a senior citizen himself). If you said you were OK by yourself, they'd say "No, ma'am, we'd prefer to accompany you to your car and make sure you are safely locked in." You have to appreciate that.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:32 PM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
They never offer to help you around here. But if I had a heavy bag of dog food I think I would ask them if someone could help me get it into the car. In fact, I have asked an employee who was out in the parking lot corralling the carts.

In winter on their icy parking lots I use the shopping cart as a form of walker. Otherwise I'd probably go flying through the air trying to get to my car. But no, they don't offer to help around here and yes, in winter, or with bags of dog food, I'd gratefully accept.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:06 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
They aren't 100% about it but most of the stores here in Denver ask if you need any help getting groceries out to your car. They ask everyone, not just the older folks. And if they forget to ask, I'm sure they'd be happy to help if someone asked themselves.

I always say no, but every now and then, someone is already in the parking lot after helping another customer, and they will come over and help me finish unloading and then take the cart, which is nice. I try to be good about putting them back in the corral but I appreciate when someone takes care of that.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:06 PM

15,238 posts, read 8,532,850 times
...not very often. But I always found it amusing since I'd managed to wheel the groceries around the store all by myself...now they are just bagged up but weigh the same so I should be able to push the cart to my car!

And there's no one at home to help me unload the trunk and carry them into the house so.....yeah.

My biggest problem is not the weight but that now they like to put no more than 3 items in a bag and then they DOUBLE bag! I could do better not having to get 3 bags in each hand to add up to one decent trip into the house.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:27 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,172,300 times
I remember when I was in my 20s and 30s I would have 2 to 3 carts full of groceries and two to three small children in tow. I was VERY glad for any help I could get.

Now often the baggers are mentally challenged individuals and they are willing but not always AS helpful.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:22 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, I can't imagine all those grocery stores where they always ask customers if need help. I'm envious.

I really wonder why the ones in my area don't ask (especially the grocery store where the parking lot is on a hill and not level pavement)? I may call their stores tomorrow and ask them.
I don't know. We don't get asked at WINCO, but it is self service bagging there.

Why don't you ask for help after they bag your groceries? Maybe they have an unwritten policy that they will help if asked. What's the worst they could say? (No)

At our former, much missed, grocer in St. Louis, they had checkers decked out in rain gear during rain storms assisting customers getting their groceries into their cars as they pulled to the front door. They really went in for customer service.

One of our kids worked as a bagger at Dierbergs, many years ago. There wasn't supposed to be tipping, but sometimes the kids got tipped on the QT.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:42 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,867,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
My previous Publix (which wasn't in the best neighborhood) had a policy that no woman walked to her car after dark by herself. You were walked to your car whether you liked it or not, by the security guard, one of the managers or a bag boy (who was usually a senior citizen himself). If you said you were OK by yourself, they'd say "No, ma'am, we'd prefer to accompany you to your car and make sure you are safely locked in." You have to appreciate that.
Sounds like my old neighborhood, a great place to move away from

Old 10-31-2016, 04:00 PM

5,914 posts, read 2,748,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We do most of our shopping at Publix - where "Shopping Is A Pleasure" .

And the baggers always ask everyone - regardless of age - if they'd like help taking their groceries out to the car. After 40+ years shopping at Publix - we're not insulted at all. Just used to good service. Robyn

P.S. I think you can edit your thread title if your go to advanced editing changes.
Reading all of these comments I think Publix has spoiled us here in Florida !

Old 10-31-2016, 04:08 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,375,940 times
I get asked that all the time at my local Trader Joe's and Jewel.

I am in my 40's, and look totally fit.

Lighten up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or