Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:37 PM

11,022 posts, read 6,564,832 times

Advertisements

I hate this. Turns out we should NOT have been honest on our SS application about where we are living (So. America). We established a mailing address with a sibling in the U.S., but on our application for SS, truthfully wrote down we lived here, NOT at the mailing address. OOPS!

Though we have direct deposit, those occasional snail-mail letters the SS sends HAVE to reflect the address you LIVE AT. They send those to deter fraud, which I understand. We went through supervisors at SS, explaining our situation, to no avail (thank God for Skype) We were told payments would stop if their letters weren't returned with current information they require. We'd have to reinstate them with SS each time.

The situation being that there is virtually NO mail delivery here. Maybe in the big cities, but not here. There aren't even real addresses for the most part. No hope of receiving mail. Not a major problem since everything else is online but now it IS a problem with SS.

FYI, local bills here are all paid in person at a certain time of month.

So what on earth do you retired RV-ers do? You can't get mail in your RV where you actually LIVE. What if your lifestyle requires a P.O. box---you don't live there.

Does everyone in these situations really LIE? Using other's addresses or 3rd-party mail services....

Other expats have said they did lie and this really bothers me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 02:07 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,206,287 times
How strange. I live in a very small town with limited home mail delivery. Parents have had a post office box number since the 1940s.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 PM

813 posts, read 1,129,929 times
I also live in South America and have all SS mail delivered here. It always arrives about a month late and this year during a postal strike was usually coming about three months late. I had to send in that form you are referring to and was able to get it postmarked here within the 60 day window,

Old 11-11-2016, 04:21 PM

6,533 posts, read 7,024,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I hate this. Turns out we should NOT have been honest on our SS application about where we are living (So. America). We established a mailing address with a sibling in the U.S., but on our application for SS, truthfully wrote down we lived here, NOT at the mailing address. OOPS!

Though we have direct deposit, those occasional snail-mail letters the SS sends HAVE to reflect the address you LIVE AT. They send those to deter fraud, which I understand. We went through supervisors at SS, explaining our situation, to no avail (thank God for Skype) We were told payments would stop if their letters weren't returned with current information they require. We'd have to reinstate them with SS each time.

The situation being that there is virtually NO mail delivery here. Maybe in the big cities, but not here. There aren't even real addresses for the most part. No hope of receiving mail. Not a major problem since everything else is online but now it IS a problem with SS.

FYI, local bills here are all paid in person at a certain time of month.

So what on earth do you retired RV-ers do? You can't get mail in your RV where you actually LIVE. What if your lifestyle requires a P.O. box---you don't live there.

Does everyone in these situations really LIE? Using other's addresses or 3rd-party mail services....

Other expats have said they did lie and this really bothers me.

Isn't it possible to do bank to bank transfers? If you have a bank in the US where the check is deposited. You can bill pay by electronic check and should also be able to make transfers. I have not researched this quite yet but having been mainly doing our banking electronically for the past 10 years it should be simple I thought.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:27 PM

7,482 posts, read 13,508,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Isn't it possible to do bank to bank transfers? If you have a bank in the US where the check is deposited. You can bill pay by electronic check and should also be able to make transfers. I have not researched this quite yet but having been mainly doing our banking electronically for the past 10 years it should be simple I thought.
US banks do not want to open accounts for US citizens living in foreign countries. Various IRS rules make it cumbersome and risky for the banks. Worse, some foreign banks don't want to deal with US citizens either. My son lives in England, and has had to deal with similar issues because of this. See https://www.americansabroad.org/banking/ for more info

Old 11-11-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
US banks do not want to open accounts for US citizens living in foreign countries. Various IRS rules make it cumbersome and risky for the banks. Worse, some foreign banks don't want to deal with US citizens either. My son lives in England, and has had to deal with similar issues because of this. See https://www.americansabroad.org/banking/ for more info
https://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/bus...4Asw&gclsrc=ds

Well what about this? I don't have an account but there appears to be at least one financial institution that deals with it.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:11 PM

A bit more research and I found this piece on banking abroad.

Best Bank Accounts for Foreign Travel & Expats - MagnifyMoney

Old 11-11-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
https://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/bus...4Asw&gclsrc=ds

Well what about this? I don't have an account but there appears to be at least one financial institution that deals with it.
If you look close, this is only for multi-national business accounts. Most US major banks also handle business accounts, but not personal accounts.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
A bit more research and I found this piece on banking abroad.

Best Bank Accounts for Foreign Travel & Expats - MagnifyMoney
The title mentions ex-pats, but the article only talks about travelers, or other short-term visitors, not US citizens living abroad permanently.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:29 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,560,620 times
Can you give your sibling a limited POA to authorize that sibling to reply to these letters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement