Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 02:58 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times

Advertisements

Today the bagger asked me if I needed help out to the parking lot. It wasn't the first time I've been asked. I find it mildly insulting because it implies I look helpless or disabled. I am convinced that I do not look helpless or disabled, and I certainly hope I am not deluding myself.

I asked her in a friendly tone if she asks everybody that and she waffled with the answer, saying only that she once got in trouble for failing to ask.

I would say I get asked that maybe one out of ten times I buy groceries at Ralph's, which is one of the large chains in Southern California. Sometimes I defuse the situation by saying with a little laugh, "No thanks - I'm old but not that old". I know there is no point in letting my irritation show to the cashier or bagger, as they are not really doing anything wrong and there is more than enough negativity in the world anyway.

Small potatoes, I know, and perhaps not worth making a thread about, but I am just curious whether other posters here have had the same experience and whether, like me, you find it insulting and irritating.

[mod cut: request fulfilled]

Last edited by volosong; 10-30-2016 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 03:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
We do most of our shopping at Publix - where "Shopping Is A Pleasure" .

And the baggers always ask everyone - regardless of age - if they'd like help taking their groceries out to the car. After 40+ years shopping at Publix - we're not insulted at all. Just used to good service. Robyn

P.S. I think you can edit your thread title if your go to advanced editing changes.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:11 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,198 times
We do our shopping at HEB and the baggers always ask us if we want help out to our car. They ask the same question of the 20-year-old strapping college football students shopping there too. When we shop at Central Market no one asks us that question.

However, we went car shopping this weekend and the car salesman asked us if we have grandkids. I wanted to punch him. But I smiled instead and said 92 and asked if he wanted to see pictures of them all.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:12 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
The 2 grocery stores I frequent ask every customer whether they need help with getting their purchases to their car. Maybe that's what's happening at your store?

I don't find it insulting at all and didn't even before I noticed that every customer was asked whether they needed help, not just me. I don't think it's meant to be a judgment of anyone's abilities (or manhood), just a courtesy because you can't always tell whether someone might need or want help just by looking at them. A perfectly able-bodied person could be exhausted from a long workday or experiencing a temporary bout of pain from strained muscles or something and might appreciate the opportunity to receive a little assistance. Asking for help when it is needed is not a sign of weakness and needing help is not a character flaw. A lot of people don't ask for help when it might be welcome but might respond to an offer of help.

After a certain number of years on the planet, i finally discovered that my interactions with other humans go much more smoothly when I assume noble (or at least neutral) intent in the remarks of others until I have definite evidence otherwise and that I am much happier overall if I do not seek offense where none is offered or intended.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:23 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
We use Public's. They always ask. You can not tell by age alone if a person might need help and a lot of people may not want to ask for help. Sounds like you have found a good store.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:24 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
They always ask at our grocery store and don't even let you go by yourself if you have a cart.

It's the way it should be.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:25 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I don't find it insulting at all because the many of the baggers are retirees much older than I am here in FL.

I always declined any offer of help taking my groceries to my car which I am offered each and every time, it's part of their scripted customer service. Just like asking me if I've found everything by the cashier and being walked to an item, never pointed in the direction of, by a stock person when asking the location of an item. I find it good customer service and a sign of good management.

One day, a bagger, who looked to be in her late 70's, commandeered my cart and proceeded to lecture me on the way out to my car that they like a break and opportunity to get outside and for me not to be so fast with saying no next time! I still refuse help with getting my groceries to the car, as long as it isn't that old bat bagging.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:30 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
And then someone comes along and refers to an elderly woman as an "old bat" and all my good intentions fly out the window.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:31 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Our local grocery stores have someone that gets paid specifically for that job.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:31 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
I am exceedingly grateful for such offers of help, saves me from asking. and I NEED the help big time.
I think it is wonderful when they ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement