U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 AM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times

Advertisements

I got my RN at age 28, largely to protect myself in the economic world, and to be flexible about where and when I worked. I ended up using it in the usual way, that is, living in one place, getting a mortgage, etc., but I've always been glad to know that I could move or change if i really wanted to. It's also provided me with relative job security and my financial position. I've come and gone several times with the freedom and security. I didn't intend to work in the field so much, but it's worked out well, and I always have a job that I feel is at least somewhat socially useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
My life has been a progression of steps. Mostly little ones, some missteps. I guess one of the big events was letting my ex talk me into buying a half built house and finishing it ourselves. From that experience, I learned I can do almost anything I put my mind to. It was freeing and I lost a lot of fear of not being able to do certain things. No real limits.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
Going to a war zone allowed me to be challenged, excel, be recognized for my efforts, get promoted - all while helping less fortunate people in dire need.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:58 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I got my RN at age 28, largely to protect myself in the economic world, and to be flexible about where and when I worked. I ended up using it in the usual way, that is, living in one place, getting a mortgage, etc., but I've always been glad to know that I could move or change if i really wanted to. It's also provided me with relative job security and my financial position. I've come and gone several times with the freedom and security. I didn't intend to work in the field so much, but it's worked out well, and I always have a job that I feel is at least somewhat socially useful.
Good for you... Nursing can be all the things you've mentioned and it is nice to know you have a job that won't be out sourced overseas

Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,178,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
What one thing or things changed your life? (for the better) - A job decision, a move, meeting the right person at the wrong time or the right time, having children, etc?

I would say, reading alot, being exposed to different things, different viewpoints, different industries. How things work. Thinking critically, coming up with my own answers for things.

For example, compared to my teen years in the 90's, when all I was exposed to was school, tv, movies, media, and maybe a few other things and not much. Worrying about what was on 90210 and silly stuff like that.

It's scary how brainwashed people become from tv and the media. Not saying that everyone that watches tv is brainwashed, but theres so much more to life than whats going on there.

And traveling, meeting people. Having adventures. Having great dinners with interesting conversation.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,432 times
Joining a family business.
Quitting the family business.
Moving to a large city (changing my mind due to changes in cities, now, however...).
Having two wonderful children.
Staying home with them despite "societal pressure."
Re-finding the religion of my childhood.
Sharing that religion with my children.
Losing a huge chunk of money and getting "real" in the process.

Next step: Re'enter work force at......over 50. Haven't set foot in an office (for pay) in almost 20 years.

Yikes.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:52 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,951,905 times
Sailaway50 - good luck to you in this new phase of your life....hope all goes well for you.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Sailaway50 - good luck to you in this new phase of your life....hope all goes well for you.
Thank you so very much....it gets scary out here sometimes (single mom).

Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 AM

34,670 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
What one thing or things changed your life? (for the better) - A job decision, a move, meeting the right person at the wrong time or the right time, having children, etc?

Got divorced (no children).

Old 02-29-2008, 02:39 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Regarding being an RN being outsourced, there is a huge influx of foreign RNs (like half the population of the Philippines) but the average U.S. RN is something close to 50 years old, the needs are increasing, and the retirements increasing.
There will be RN shortages/problems until men enter the profession in equal numbers as women. Right now, there is a shortage of instructors, especially since the hospital schools all closed (too proletarian...).
One man I work with applied to community college- there are some nine applicants for each seat.
Yes, I feel financially OK. The shiftwork and acuity is wearing me down badly (not to mention dreadful management). I do look forward to part-time. I consider retirement to be working a weekend package, work two shifts, get paid for three, and pro-rated benefits. I have at least five years to go before beginning to consider that. I have considered taking my old-fashioned pension early to work part-time, but at worst, I'll be working full-time another 9-10 years.
I am just finished with it all. (And no, I don't treat patients poorly or carelessly because of it). Just ready to have a different kind of life after almost 40 years of full-time work of all kinds.
And for RNs, there will always be lousy jobs available- good ones still go fast. A bad job in psychiatric is a bad job, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or