U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM

5,174 posts, read 8,696,248 times

Advertisements

What one thing or things changed your life? (for the better) - A job decision, a move, meeting the right person at the wrong time or the right time, having children, etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 PM

55 posts, read 192,977 times
This is a great question. Hard to answer, there are so many things. Meeting my second wife was a great thing, changed my life in so many good ways. Having a good teacher in high school who made me believe in myself. A great boss who motivated me. Maybe most of all, being in a very difficult time and having my cage rattled so hard that it shook a little sense into me. Good people have helped me!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 PM

5,395 posts, read 21,398,752 times
I stopped drinking and smoking.

I retired early.

I got out of Texas and moved to the PNW.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:25 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
I knew from very early on that I didn't want to have children, and that recognition has never wavered.
I was fortunate to get a very good job at age 20 that carried me through my worst depressive times until age 25.
I found myself in a hut in Haiti in the Peace Corps with the realization that I needed to make a home for myself, not the opposite, which I was pursuing- becoming an international gypsy. It was humbling. It was not an exciting realization (why I never realized it before that) but it was an honest one.
Have largely stopped letting baby boom mantras rule my subconsious decisions.
The next big chnage I look forward to is retirement or going part-time. I want a life back.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 AM

156 posts, read 352,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
What one thing or things changed your life? (for the better) - A job decision, a move, meeting the right person at the wrong time or the right time, having children, etc?

Another great question Bette that makes you really think about your life. You know I honestly still wonder after all these years whether or not I have really changed.... But back to the question...

Probably taking care of my Dad before he passed away was more life changing than I have even realized. I brought him to my home and of course the roles were totally reversed as I was the caregiver now. The challenge was enormous. Dad had a feeding tube and was to the point that breathing was difficult...especially at night. I slept most nights on the floor beside him hearing each labored breath and not knowing whether to hope that he would go and be out of misery or help him fight for life. I had altercation after altercation with doctor after doctor because I could see in their eyes that they had decided it was his time. But Dad never quit at anything and most importantly...he wanted to live. I couldn't understand why they(doctors) got to decide who's time it was. One night he had a seizure and quit breathing in my arms and I didn't call out to anyone...I knew it was meant for me to be with him. After a minute or so, he started breathing again....his eyes opened a few minutes later and I was happy...I had my Dad again and the crisis was over....for now....

I've had several years to reflect on that time of my life....I will never be sure that every decision I made was correct because I felt so completely helpless at the time. I do know I tried with everything I had to understand what was happening and make decisions based on my love and appreciation for this man who had given everything he had in life to his children. It was such a lonely time for me but it was where I was supposed to be. I'm sure it changed me. Not sure exactly how yet. I know that there are things that happened to me in that time period that I will never be able to talk about. I think it may have something to do with not depending on anyone else to make sense of events in your life that are life changing in a traumatic way. You are really much stronger than you think you are and your intuition is a powerful sense...not always successfully expained away by science or computers. I also know now that I will be thinking about those times when my life is ending and hopefully... my son is by my side...

Hey and thanks for the chance to reflect a little....sort of a convaluted answer but I think the right one for me. Hope we see your answer... and many others too..

Last edited by GregoryS; 02-26-2008 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,960,936 times
I developed a deep faith in God that has helped me throughout my life.
I married a fabulous man and we are still crazy in love.
Having a family made me a more giving, loving and happier person.
I completed college when our sons were in high school - that was a great experience.
I had a fun, creative and challenging job.
I surround myself with upbeat and interesting friends.
Traveling & meeting all kinds of people.
I never stop learning or being surprised.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:58 PM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,773 times
I moved out of a small, dead-end town!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM

84 posts, read 250,053 times
I spent over a year in India at an ashram
And I have worked as a hospice volunteer for several years

Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,036,713 times
The summer when I was twelve, Janet, a close family friend who had retired from teaching, dragged me (protesting all the way) along with her to her volunteer job at the county poor farm. She said she needed help with a craft project. It was pretty scary. The people at the county home were old, and poor, and kind of sad. They were also very, very happy to have a kid to ooh! and aah! over. I had fun, even though I wouldn't admit it at the time. And the next week when she asked me to come along again, I reluctantly agreed, so all summer, twice a week, she and I spent the day with the folks at the county home. We embossed and laced leather belts and wallets, we stamped aluminum and copper trays, we made lanyards with plastic strips. For years, this was our summer and school vacation ritual. Looking back on it now that I'm retired, I realize that Janet had a huge impact on my life because she taught me at the age of twelve that giving of yourself takes a certain amount of effort, but it feels good when you do. I don't think I ever thanked her because she died before I realized what a gift she gave me.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 PM

170 posts, read 437,218 times
I joined the United States Navy.
Before that, I was a dirtbag, hoodlum from Newark NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or