U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 12,470,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Fayetteville, AR University of Arkansas

I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 08:38 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,224,815 times
Iowa City, IA
Really nice little college town with a very educated populace.
Excellent public transportation system. Not only a good public bus system, but they also have a free university bus that goes all over the downtown and westside hospital area.
Excellent library, great independently owned restaurants, and downtown pedestrian mall.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:13 PM
46H

966 posts, read 585,648 times
Pennsylvania is loaded with public and private schools of all shapes and sizes in small towns and even larger, affordable city areas. Besides the big 3 public schools - Penn State, Pitt, and Temple there are the following 14 spread throughout the state:

Welcome to the PA State System of Higher Education

There are also a load of private schools. PA has 4 seasons and affordable housing.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:54 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,345,129 times
Where did you always want to go to college when you were 18 and couldn't afford at the time. Check out those colleges and their towns.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:17 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,028,364 times
Newark DE. Very nice and affordable town with low taxes, close to Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York City.

College Station TX. Much warmer climate, affordable houses, not far from big cities (Houston, Austin). High property taxes though

Old 11-04-2016, 01:14 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,183,204 times
I moved to the university town of Vermillion, SD for retirement, and LOVE it! It's a wonderful, friendly walk-able and bike-able small university town (USD), and you can find everything you need here. You always see kids and students and adults walking everywhere. There are Osher classes, lectures and plays, an arts center, a hospital, a brand new university wellness center that community members can use, and - I can (and have) go on and on. There is also a dial-a-ride bus which anyone can use. The football stadium is on the outskirts of town, so town traffic is unaffected by event traffic. If you avoid neighborhoods right next to campus you don't have to deal with party noise. Housing is very affordable, unemployment is the lowest in the nation, and best of all, SD doesn't have a state income tax and is financially very retiree friendly.

Another really nice affordable University town in which I have lived is Ames, Iowa (ISU). It's larger than Vermillion, and slightly more expensive, but still very affordable compared to many places in the East or far West. The University is concentrated on the West side of town, so it is very easy to find neighborhoods unaffected by sports traffic/partying. There is a nice clean bus system in town, too. There is also an Osher institute in Ames. I almost chose Ames for retirement, but Vermillion is smaller, which I personally prefer.

Decorah, IA (Luther college) is becoming a popular community for retirees. It is in a beautiful area, is very walkable, and has a really wonderful downtown. A Mayo Clinic branch is located there, since the clinic home of Rochester, MN is only an hour and a half away. It is affordable, but getting more expensive.

I love LaCrosse, WI, too (UWLC) It is a bigger town and maybe less walkable, but it has a bus system, excellent health care options, and has the best food co-op in America. Seriously - it really does! Wisconsin has higher taxes, though.

PS - I also have years of personal experience with and knowledge of Fayetteville, AR: stay away from it, don't go near it, avoid it like the plague, it's really, really, very, very, awful! Unless you are an extreme social and religious bigot and like the smell of chicken houses (huge, huge, confinement buildings that are all over the countryside near town) - in that case you might like it.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:53 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,679,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Also? Madison is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.
Most college towns are, because the rents and the home values are over-priced at least in my experience.

I live in a college town. Most any reasonably priced family home is snapped up by rental property moguls who seem to have a monopoly on rentals. There is a real housing shortage here because of that. And new houses being built are getting sky high.

My point is, consider that as you search for a college town.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:18 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,663,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You can certainly find a $150K condo walkable to things around Yale/New Haven. If you're looking for a leafy town where you don't need to lock your doors with an elite college in town with the funky town center, housing costs are going to be more because college profs will want that housing and they can afford way more than $150K.
Our youngest son lived in New Haven for three years while working at Yale. He was the only employee of his Lab who was not mugged during that time frame. One out of 20+ people during a three year period is not good odds.

No wonder New Haven often ties with Flint Michigan (location of my alma mater) for the most dangerous city/town in the US.

I can identify with the Madison Wisconsin sentiments. We live 8 miles from Ann Arbor and avoid the town except for the summer months. Even using the expressways to travel elsewhere on game-days in the Fall is extremely difficult.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:56 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,679,865 times
I did a simple search using your criteria, affordable, walkable college towns. Quite a few results, here are a few.

Top 10 Most Walkable College Towns - Walk Score Blog
The 50 Best College Towns In America - Best College Reviews
10 Great Walkable Towns for Retirement - Topretirements
College Towns: Consider These 16 Communities For Retirement | Huffington Post

Old 11-04-2016, 05:38 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
One thing to be cautious of when choosing a university town is they are often (not always) significantly higher in crime than the surrounding towns or communities.
With higher education comes the risk of many young people from all over the country converging onto a small area and changing the demographics of that area which is not always a positive thing. Drug use, theft, vandalism all tend to be higher in university towns. It's just something to keep in mind. Do you're homework and don't assume that just because a town has a university, it's a safe place to live.

Last edited by marino760; 11-04-2016 at 06:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or