Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 03:37 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

Outside of long term nursing care I never understood how people go broke due to health care. I read here once that a parent had cancer and it wiped out their entire estate. Do they not have proper coverage with out of pocket limits? That is certainly going to be my plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 04:05 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I think the OP is wrong about the average retiree having $200,000-$300,000 when they retire. There have ben several articles that say that the average savings at retirement is $25,000.
That's a little like having one foot in a bucket of ice water and the other in a bucket of scalding hot water - but "on average", the temperature is just fine.

Take defined benefit pension plans common among public sector employees. That public sector employee might retire with a meager $25K of savings, but the value of his defined benefit pension plan - if translated into a bank account -- would be multiple millions of $$$. That multiple $Millions is not counted among his "savings" for reporting purposes.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:16 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
people make due on whatever they have . that does not mean they like their lifestyle . if all we had was 1 million here in nyc i would not have retired yet .

with that generating 40k or so pretax and medical insurance costs i would not want that lifestyle

Old 11-03-2016, 04:18 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Pensions are somewhat rare and difficult to find and be a beneficiary of these days, many having been replaced by 401(k)'s.
Most public sector employees have very generous defined benefit pensions.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:19 PM

depends . my wife gets 20k in nyc . that covers just our rent in a stabilized apartment .. that is from nyc dept of transportation.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Only about 20% work long enough to qualify for their full pension. With pension reform increasing the vesting period many leave without qualifying for any pension

Old 11-03-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Outside of long term nursing care I never understood how people go broke due to health care. I read here once that a parent had cancer and it wiped out their entire estate. Do they not have proper coverage with out of pocket limits? That is certainly going to be my plan.
look at the deductibles and out of pockets for the aca plans . more than 12k for a couple . have something happen towards the end of the year that carry's over and that can be 25k .

throw in thousands for dental ,vision and hearing aids which are not covered and over a few years you can get hit pretty hard .

insurance may not cover everything either .

my co-worker has thyroid cancer . the insurance company will only approve removal of 1/2 the thyroid even though they will likely have to pay for the other 1/2 eventually .

she is thinking of paying on her own to have the job done all at once and avoid any complications . her doctors recommend the whole thing goes but insurance will not agree .

huge medical bills can be run up today because most of us are in hmo's and networks . go to a hospital and you may have no control over the doctors who work on you . not every doctor may be in network and then the battle begins . depending on how life threatening you may be stuck with big medical bills .

my wife's deceased husband had multiple myeloma .the most effective treatment then was not covered by insurance yet . luckily sam walton had the same cancer and took her husband in to his experimental program at a hospital in arkansas . he spent 1 million dollars on treatment for her husband . just amazing .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-03-2016 at 04:50 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 05:17 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
That's a little like having one foot in a bucket of ice water and the other in a bucket of scalding hot water - but "on average", the temperature is just fine.

Take defined benefit pension plans common among public sector employees. That public sector employee might retire with a meager $25K of savings, but the value of his defined benefit pension plan - if translated into a bank account -- would be multiple millions of $$$. That multiple $Millions is not counted among his "savings" for reporting purposes.

Quote:

Stop putting out misinformation about public pensions. It is not multiple millions of dollars. Try an average of 25k per year and multiply that by an average of 30 years and tell me how you come up with multiples in millions.

[quote]

http://www.pensionrights.org/publica...ncome-pensions

Type of pension benefit Median benefit, 2015
Private pensions and annuities $9,376
Federal government pension $22,669
State or local government pension $16,742
Railroad pension $21,017
Military pension $19,306
Veterans benefits $11,786

Maybe you are talking about those Enron pensions?

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 11-03-2016 at 05:28 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 05:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Stop putting out misinformation about public pensions. It is not multiple millions of dollars. Try an average of 25k per year and multiply that by an average of 30 years and tell me how you come up with multiples in millions.

Maybe you are talking about those Enron pensions?
I think he met the amount of portfolio value that would be needed to generate the pension equivalent.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:29 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think he met the amount of portfolio value that would be needed to generate the pension equivalent.
even if he does the math does not add up. 25k per year would only require maybe 800k in savings not much more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement