U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:25 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,431,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
US sfr median 235,760
Las Vegas sfr median $232,000

US sfr average $276,900
Las Vegas sfr average $267,500

A small advantage but basically the same price. LV looks good only if you are coming from CA or another of the expensive cities.

Yeah, but it is a bargain. Here's what you get for $1.5 M in a middle class neighborhood in Silicon Valley. 3 beds 2 baths 1,436 sqft, right on a noisy freeway:

Compare that to what you get for $1.5 M in Las Vegas. 6 beds 5.5 baths 6,881 sqft:

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 11-08-2016 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well we don't hike or play tennis these days. But we still play golf. And generally enjoy getting outside if only to walk around. Is there anyone here who plays golf in Las Vegas? If so - where? I noticed that there are 2 TPC facilities in Las Vegas (we're members at TPC Sawgrass here - a lovely facility).

When it comes to drought - the worst we've seen here in Florida (we've been here 40+ years) is a 2 year without a lot of rain drought in the late 90's. Which is why we have the irrigation restrictions we have now. If we become seriously interested in anywhere out west - we will - needless to say - have to explore the situation in depth. Robyn
Go to milliefine.com to search for gated neighborhoods, over 55,etc.

I personally like the tennis/golf neighborhood of Spanish Trail, so this
is where my wife and I retired (after 35 years in Alabama).

Moisturizing is a must!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:41 PM

9,189 posts, read 9,267,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm familiar with the weather. Kind of like where I live in the cooler months - except a bit cooler at night. Hotter during the summer days.

But - if you moved there - what do/did you like/not like about it? We would have a fair amount of money - and would rent at first. I am 69 - and my husband is 71. Robyn
Robyn,

I obviously don't live in Las Vegas, but I do visit there about once a year. Also, my St. George home is about 120 miles away.

I'm not sure what motivates you to want to live in Las Vegas. If it is weather, I suspect you might be happier in Arizona. Let me just list some pro's and cons.

Pro's

1. Warm winter weather.

2. Lots of entertainment options because of all the big names who come to Las Vegas.

3. Relatively moderate cost of living. At least compared to California.

4. No state income tax.

5. I like desert climates. What I like the most is lack of humidity in the air.

Con's

1. The atmosphere created by gambling causes crowds and what I will call "a 24 hour a day circus". It can get tiring fast unless you are far from the Las Vegas Strip.

2. A high violent crime rate.

3. An influx of retirees and jobseekers has placed heavy demands on infrastructure. Its not adequate to do the job it needs too. Roads can be quite jammed.

4. Inadequate water for a rapidly growing population. Its certain to lead to serious problems at some point.

5. Its a huge contrast for someone coming from Florida. There is very little green around. Those plants that do exist are only there because of heavy and probably unsustainable irrigation.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 4,844,736 times
Do not know where this silliness comes from. LV does not have a high violent crime rate. The base metro rate is in the middle third of US cities about 100,000 population. . With an allowance for the visitor population it approaches the average US city. Its property crime rate is a little better.

The City of Henderson, which is representative of nice Las Vegas...is in the best 10% for violent crime for cities above 100,000.

Yes there is crime in LV as elesewhere. Crime rates however vary by more than 1000 times from zip code to zip code. So avoid the bad ones.

There is no significant water problem. It is probably the best fixed city in the southwest. Barring the entire area turning to desert it will grow easily to over 3 million.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:40 PM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times
One thing about living in Las Vegas is all the relatives/friends you'll seem to accumulate from around the country. Hotel Mr & Mrs Smith.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:21 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,868,226 times
I think some of these negative comments are coming from people who have never left the strip area.

There is plenty of green in Las Vegas. Almost everyone in our neighborhood has grass and green trees.
The only real traffic that I have seen is on the strip. Once you are away from the strip there is a not a problem.
The only time you might see traffic is during rush hour which is actually only 1 hour. Rush hour in Ca seems to go on for around 5 hours.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:55 PM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
One thing about living in Las Vegas is all the relatives/friends you'll seem to accumulate from around the country. Hotel Mr & Mrs Smith.
I've met any number of people, who have nice spacious homes here in Las Vegas, and when family/friends come to visit, any number of them opt to stay on the Strip, where the action is. They didn't come here to stay in a residential area.

I've been here 20 years, built a spare bedroom for potential guests, and no one from the Midwest has yet to stay in my house overnight.

Which suits me only too well!

Old 11-09-2016, 04:56 PM

14,228 posts, read 44,887,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I agree about the green part. The difference between Alaska and the Arizona desert is like night and day. I love my green Alaska summers.
From what I hear, the hunting and fishing is about as good as it gets, too.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:54 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,379,235 times
We have relatives who live in those million dollar plus homes in Silicon Valley, some of them retired. It's like cash in the bank. One has lived in their home, a single floor ranch, since the 70's. Purchased for about 40k. Paid off. They have the Mello Roos property tax abatement and they pay 1,300 k in yearly tax on a 1.5 million dollar home.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:53 PM

249 posts, read 196,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Purchased for about 40k. Paid off. They have the Mello Roos property tax abatement and they pay 1,300 k in yearly tax on a 1.5 million dollar home.
I think you mean Prop 13, not Mello Roos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or