U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:26 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,752,208 times

Advertisements

I spent my working career supporting my family and making contributions to society. Now in retirement I feel totally justified in pursuing my own interests and goals. None of those include any do gooder activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 07:29 AM

3,664 posts, read 2,815,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I spent my working career supporting my family and making contributions to society. Now in retirement I feel totally justified in pursuing my own interests and goals. None of those include any do gooder activities.
Good for you. Bad for everyone else.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:32 AM

3,664 posts, read 2,815,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
The Google group existed for about a year, but then my wife contracted dementia and I had to assume duties of primary caregiver so I lost interest and disbanded the group. Now I have no interest in resuming the group or much of anything else.
Sorry for the loss of your wife as your life long confidante companion. It can certainly cause caregiver burnout.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:39 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,454,884 times
My daughter "fosters" abandoned or feral kittens for the local animal shelter. She's part of their program. She takes kittens home, socializes them to humans, plays with them, takes care of them etc. Once they are old enough to be spayed/neutered, she takes them to the shelter where a volunteer vet does the procedure, and she then takes them back home for healing. About a week later, the kittens participate every Saturday at an adoption fair at the shelter until they are adopted for their permanent home. Until they are selected, she takes care of them at home.

Then she restarts with a new batch of kittens.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:31 PM

6,306 posts, read 4,752,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Good for you. Bad for everyone else.
Not really. I have made plenty of contributions to society, way more than most, while I was working.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:47 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,857,014 times
I've always wanted to write, but between preaching/teaching and career - never had the time. Now retired (8-years), I've just spent the last 18-months writing a Christian apologetics book (now in the publishing process).

It's been a gratifying experience, but it's been one of the most difficult projects and processes I've ever undertaken. There have been many times I've thought, "Boy, if I didn't have so much time and effort already invested, I might consider quitting."

I'm glad I didn't quit, but even though I've got several other potential books on the back burner, I'm more realistically wondering how much time, effort, self-discipline (and expense) I'm prepared to invest in the next one.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:48 PM

21,919 posts, read 14,414,141 times
For awhile I interviewed people who needed help with food at a local food pantry, and found that I was good at it! I liked so many of them, and I enjoyed making sure that they got the stuff they needed.

I haven't done that in awhile, but I wouldn't mind doing that again. I am just not sure that skill is needed where I live now. That model is not in use here, I don't think.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:39 PM

6,325 posts, read 3,586,130 times
I was an unabashed social justice warrior in my younger years and no longer have any interest in fighting City Hall.

My public speaking skills are good and I can hold an audience's interest.

I'm good at creative play with children.

Working with the elderly and brain-damaged is something I do well. And I'm also very good with people who are dying but since my own parents died I have decreasing interest.

Sometime in early midlife I discovered that I'm a natural healer.

All of my life people have told me I should be writing but I find the process difficult to the point of being painful. I have stacks of unedited "stuff" in my bookshelf if anyone who follows me wants to take it on.

Right now I'm mostly playing/traveling while I still can. It is my plan and hope that when I reach the rocking chair stage I will once again find the motivation to do something constructive for others.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:50 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,754,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

Working with the elderly and brain-damaged is something I do well.

Well, you're in the right place! (Sorry, the devil made me do it!)

Old 11-07-2016, 09:40 PM

4,980 posts, read 3,468,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm good at a couple of things, none of which I can use to get work with a decent salary or will contribute to anything.

I trained dogs when I was younger, but I can't now because of my disability. I have a knack for taming (not training) feral cats and other animals, but what can I do with that? And I write well, but I don't know what direction to go in for that. I'm a generalist and I know a little bit about a lot of things, but I'm not specialized in any one thing. About the best thing I can do is when I get asked a question, I can get the answer one way or the other. That and a good memory and that's about it. I'm not sure how that's a benefit to anyone.
How about volunteering at your local shelter? I'm sure they would love to have someone that could help with feral cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or