U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:09 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,990,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
"To enforce a valid garnishment for court-ordered victim restitution."

Sounds like this would apply to the OP's friend/neighbor?

That's why you buy insurance! Not only to protect yourself and your assets but to protect you from liability such as in a case as this. However, it is correct that most insurance companies will exclude vicious breeds of dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,638,569 times
Sand and Salt -

I'm not sure where it is. I feel bad for her. Don't ask many questions any more as feel its rubbing salt into a wound. She is in a great place financially so this is a small loss.

Do know that it was about 8 hours over rough land to get to it from largest airport. She and her neighbors lost their beach many times. She bought this house to eventually get away from the US taxes etc. But when they were told they need something like what Venice has to save their homes, she wanted the US government to come in and pay. Her theory, they fixed Haiti. I told her that affected millions of people. Not 12 personal property owners who didn't due their due diligence. Yeah we are still friends. NEVER MIND this house was to eventually move to get away form the US tax system, so why then beg the senators to try to fix her housing issues. They all ignored her. She even tried to get her clients to write letters on her behalf. No one did, I'm sure.

Also know the housing should not have been built there, no land study was done to make sure it'd last.

There were people in some of the homes when the earthquake hit and there were issues of getting them out. The roads turned into large jagged hills that were impassable. Pics were unbelievable. If that helps give you an idea of the location.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:01 AM

12,255 posts, read 12,503,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
"To enforce a valid garnishment for court-ordered victim restitution."

Sounds like this would apply to the OP's friend/neighbor?
Only if she was convicted of a crime.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:41 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,217,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Just an FYI on home owners insurance...............it doesn't matter if your dog was in your yard if it bites someone you are still liable and your insurance would pay the victim out. I think the only time it may swing the owners way is if it was a burglar. And honestly, if it was my dog who bit a child I would DEFINITLY want my homeowners insurance to pay the victim out of my liability insurance because if it goes to court the family could go after ALL of your assets. AND I don't care if the child was pulling the dogs tail, it's a child who doesn't deserve to be bit!
This is why I am glad my retirement money is protected, my home has a mortgage (bank has first dibs), my homeowners insurance is the minimum required by the bank, I have minimal auto insurance and I no longer carry the million dollar umbrella policy. Too many people treat an unintended injury as if they won the lottery. I would agree to pay for medical expenses but that's it.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,990,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This is why I am glad my retirement money is protected, my home has a mortgage (bank has first dibs), my homeowners insurance is the minimum required by the bank, I have minimal auto insurance and I no longer carry the million dollar umbrella policy. Too many people treat an unintended injury as if they won the lottery. I would agree to pay for medical expenses but that's it.

My neighbors child was bit in the face by her friends dog when she was 12 years old. She now has a scar on her face for life. According to the above, you feel that she only deserves her medical bills paid for even though this poor girl will have a scar on her face for life? That's terrible! Insurance is there to protect you and to protect others. WHY would you only have minimum coverage? Pure ignorance!

Old 11-09-2016, 02:37 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,199,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
That's why you buy insurance! Not only to protect yourself and your assets but to protect you from liability such as in a case as this. However, it is correct that most insurance companies will exclude vicious breeds of dogs.
You raise a good point, which should prompt people to speak to their insurance agent. Perhaps a personal umbrella policy would cover this? I don't know, which is way people should ask an expert.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:40 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,199,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I don't know why someone would drop that, it is pretty cheap, like $200 a year.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:38 AM

3,442 posts, read 1,532,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Only if she was convicted of a crime.

Apparently she was. "Victim restitution"---we saw the paperwork.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:13 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,683,915 times
OP You might suggest that your neighbor consult a Bankruptcy Attorney. She could get reduced bankruptcy filing fees because of her low income and discharge this lawsuit.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:04 AM

361 posts, read 291,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Yes, I think SS can be served with a nice garnish like some bean sprouts.

Ohhh, you mean garnisheed? No idea.

Oh dang that reminds me. It is the holiday season and I will be corrected on how I pronounce wassail at every insufferable party I'm forced to attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement