Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:59 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe1972 View Post
Part of my significant other's financial issues involve his ex-wives. He has been married four times and three of those times he had to pay alimony and/or child support. At one time, he owned a house along with his fourth ex-wife and she let us rent the house and said she would put our rent toward the mortgage...which she did not and she let the house go into foreclosure. So we had no legal recourse. Me and my SO had to move out and my SO had to declare bankruptcy. We make about $45,000 a year and live in an apartment (albeit a very nice one). But...yeah...he has made some very poor choices with women before which has prevented him from living HIS version of The American Dream and he really regrets it.
4 marriages yikes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 01:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe1972 View Post
I am a Generation X in a relationship with a Baby Boomer and my idea of The American Dream is so radically different than his. I don't believe you need a boat/RV or even to live in a house to be happy. You like your job, are content with your trailer/condo/apartment, have enough money for bills and savings as well as a little entertainment on the side, and have a family who loves you...THAT is my idea of The American Dream. But that isn't enough for my significant other. He just cannot bring himself to count his blessings and be happy. He says it has nothing to do with me...it is just something he is upset with himself about, that he didn't achieve HIS idea of success. He is even convinced that if we do not live in a house (with a mortgage, not a rental house) by the time our son is in school that other kids will make fun of him.

This is an issue with your partner, perhaps they should consider professional guidance to help them get this worked into a non issue.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:04 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is an issue with your partner, perhaps they should consider professional guidance to help them get this worked into a non issue.
Consumer Reports rated City Data posters as the best counselors on the market.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

I was in NYC a couple weeks ago and stopped in a place for a pizza. Pizza was $12. I ordered a salad and a glass of wine. The wine was $13 and the salad $16. My bill was $50 by the time tax was added- and more with tip.

Next to me were two young men...just the type who are now making the 200K per year each.
They ordered two pizzas with a bunch of toppings...a couple salads, a side or two and then - as I watched - they each had 3 fancy cocktails. In NYC these had to be $20 each. I left before they did, but their bill had to be about $200...in a PIZZA place.

Imagine the future compounded value of that money - all pissed (and pooped) back out within a few hours.

I'd like to know what pizza parlor you popped in to. Definitely not the place in my old neighborhood in Flushing or around the corner from my office on 2nd Ave. 2 slices and a coke - 10 bucks.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:13 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

I was in NYC a couple weeks ago and stopped in a place for a pizza. Pizza was $12. I ordered a salad and a glass of wine. The wine was $13 and the salad $16. My bill was $50 by the time tax was added- and more with tip.

Next to me were two young men...just the type who are now making the 200K per year each.
They ordered two pizzas with a bunch of toppings...a couple salads, a side or two and then - as I watched - they each had 3 fancy cocktails. In NYC these had to be $20 each. I left before they did, but their bill had to be about $200...in a PIZZA place.

Imagine the future compounded value of that money - all pissed (and pooped) back out within a few hours.
Meh... so they spent $200.
By your own account, they could well afford it.

And your implication that they otherwise have no savings or investments is ludicrous. They could have fully funded IRAs, emergency funds, college funds, etc - for all you know.

What good is making all that money if you can't go out with friends and enjoy it?

Old 11-10-2016, 03:24 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
I'd like to know what pizza parlor you popped in to. Definitely not the place in my old neighborhood in Flushing or around the corner from my office on 2nd Ave. 2 slices and a coke - 10 bucks.

Flushing, NY is not NYC. Food is a LOT cheaper there.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:54 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
The generation has nothing to do with it.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Flushing, NY is not NYC. Food is a LOT cheaper there.
It's not Manhattan. I know what you're saying. My point was the average NYer regardless of what borough you're in isn't dropping $50 on pizza. I realize the poster was visiting and was obviously eating at a nice sit down restaurant.

BTW, mathjak is in Bayside and always says he lives in NYC. At least Flushing has a subway stop.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:41 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The generation has nothing to do with it.
It sort of does. Post WW II, the United States experienced unprecedented growth. You had better odds entering the labor market in 1950 than in 1990. If you entered the labor market in 1950, you had the chance of spending your entire career with the same employer and having a nice defined-benefit pension. In 1990, you were lucky if your employer matched your 401(k). Mine certainly never did. Few people remained with the same employer for even a decade. It's been more challenging to accumulate wealth over the last couple of decades. A balanced mutual fund portfolio in a 401(k) hasn't done anything like in earlier years. In addition, there wasn't the income stratification there is now. If you're not in the top-20% today, your inflation-adjusted pay is eroding.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
No my idea of American Dream is raising my lifestyle to whatever level I choose with hard work and education; that my children be able to raise theirs with hard work and education

It is not about things but I don't think Ill of those who chose boats etc if that is their lifestyle

BTW, a paid off mortgage is a singularly wonderful thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement