U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM

11,246 posts, read 11,267,699 times

Advertisements

Which of these do I need? Here's my situation:

No children, no relatives, no nobody I can trust. I have a spouse who I do not want acting as my proxy because she wouldn't be able to make the hard choice to pull the plug if that's what I wanted. So in absence of a person who can act as my proxy which document do I need to carry out my wishes to make all the hard choices of what I want if I am suddenly rendered comatose or in a vegetative state or otherwise unable to communicate my wishes? I've researched each one and compared them but the legalese and the technical detail is just too confusing. I'll go to an attorney once I decide on one but I don't want to spend $600/hour trying to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 AM

13,915 posts, read 7,411,228 times
If you don't have anyone you can trust to make heroic medical intervention decisions for you, you want a living will. That document specifies your wishes. There are a few states that don't accept them. I happen to live in one of them. Most lawyers will give you a free consult and won't charge huge money for this kind of boilerplate.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you don't have anyone you can trust to make heroic medical intervention decisions for you, you want a living will. That document specifies your wishes. There are a few states that don't accept them. I happen to live in one of them. Most lawyers will give you a free consult and won't charge huge money for this kind of boilerplate.
Thanks much for that. That clears up a lot of confusion.

A lawyer that gives a free consult? Didn't know outside of personal injury that one even existed. I'll check. What do you think their fee would be or maybe if the form can be found online in pdf I can just fill it out myself and print it out. Who would I give it to, my usual hospital I go to, my PC?

Old 11-07-2016, 12:19 PM

1,519 posts, read 975,653 times
You are talking about medical decisions when you say "pull the plug". So you will need an advance directive. A living will can be part of the advance directive. When or if you go to a hospital (probably any care facility) they will ask for an advance directive.

Wikipedia is your friend!

Old 11-07-2016, 12:43 PM

527 posts, read 1,090,780 times
A medical directive is not just a decision to "Pull the plug"
When you are unconscious that person is consulted as to what treatment you receive
If no directive, or they can't find it, your spouse will be asked
If she refuses, and no trusted friend/relative is located, it goes to the court to appoint someone in your behave

In reality that person has not met you and may make a decision that is legally binding but your wife doesn't agree with. Your wife may say, you wouldn't want this or that, but the court appointed person might disagree, in your best interest. so they think.

That's why any person you pick, you should have conversation with as to what your thoughts are for medical care.
That person should be "your" proxy and not base your treatment on their views, if you had different opinions.
Like you don't want treatment by Stems cells, transplant, blood transfusion, but that person thinks that would be a good treatment.

you could also appoint more than 1 person, but as you might think, that could could strife if they don't agree

Having a court appointed person is not free, your estate would pay their fee. Leaving less to your heirs if you die.
Or if you are treated and recover, a bill you will be stuck with.

Remember, if there are circumstances where pulling the plug is realistically thought of. "Someone" will make that decision. Do you want that decision to be someone you know and who knows you and your views or a stranger who has never met you?

Old 11-07-2016, 01:04 PM

39,547 posts, read 47,744,756 times
Get a notarized living will, have a copy made for each doctor you normally see. Carry that information in wallet/purse, then in emergency the hospital can contact those doctors if necessary.
If you have a trust set up by a lawyer, have that living will inserted into it, though the attorney should have directed you to do so anyway.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:52 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times
The terms might mean different things in different states.

I think you need to see an attorney to make sure to have the paperwork in place to carry out your wishes.

I also think you do need to involve your spouse in this. She needs to know your wishes, even if she feels she can't make the decision, because she might be haunted by guilt if she isn't totally in the loop.

I know seeing an attorney is expensive, but it is the best way to ensure that your wishes are carried out.

Follow the attorney's advice about filing the directive at the hospital where you would end up. Otherwise, if is likely to never be located in a crisis.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:21 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,768,997 times
Speak to a lawyer in your state. Living Will's vary dramatically by state. See if you can have a doctor or lawyer be the one to make the decision to pull the plug. Be very specific about what you want and don't want.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:50 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,702,696 times
Advance directive and living will are the same. You need one and would give a copy to your doctor and hospital when needed. The document could delegate the decision to the doctor. Your attorney can probably give you better suggestions on who to name.

Power of attorney is harder. If you do not have one and need a guardian you will end up in court and probably have a professional guardian appointed. I think I would go with your wife having the power of attorney.

She also needs these two documents.

You should also have a will.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
You are talking about medical decisions when you say "pull the plug". So you will need an advance directive. A living will can be part of the advance directive. When or if you go to a hospital (probably any care facility) they will ask for an advance directive.

Wikipedia is your friend!
Oh yes, wikipedia. I'd forgotten about them and they didn't show up when I googled. But you're right there seems to be two sections on an AD and Part 1 can be skipped if I don't want one. Thanks much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement