Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:25 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,298,093 times

Advertisements

My school system did yearbooks for the 8th grade and 12th grade classes each year. Only those classes were in each yearbook. The middle school yearbook was soft cover like a large pamphlet and distributed for free. The high school yearbook was much more elaborate. It required payment of a separate fee and had to be picked up midway through the summer post graduation. I did not care enough about it to pay for it and make the separate trip back to the school after graduation so I have never owned a high school yearbook.

Before I moved into my current house four years ago, I purged the middle school yearbook as well as the artifacts from the graduation ceremony: cap, gown and tassels. The only school related items I have left are the diploma, senior year photo ID card, driver's education certificate of completion as well as transcripts, report cards and then some college textbooks. I just can't throw away the proof of my academic achievements. I think I still have the quarterly report cards going back to the first grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 07:47 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
Husband tossed his years ago. I was one of the editors of my senior yearbook, so I hung onto it longer. But eventually, I tossed it, too. Haven't been to any reunions and don't care to. Don't do Facebook, so not "keeping up" with the lives of my classmates. If there is anyone I cared to stay in touch with, I would.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:57 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,763,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Husband tossed his years ago. I was one of the editors of my senior yearbook, so I hung onto it longer. But eventually, I tossed it, too. Haven't been to any reunions and don't care to. Don't do Facebook, so not "keeping up" with the lives of my classmates. If there is anyone I cared to stay in touch with, I would.
Pretty much the same for me. High school was a different era for me and I have never had any desire to reminisce about it.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
Somewhere along the way, many years ago, I threw it in the trash. IMHO, its kind of funny trying to keep up and maintain relationships with people I knew just for a few short years in HS. Most were just aquantances, and not really friends. I didn't really enjoy HS and was glad when it was over. I actually had very few friends from HS, I moved away, which was always my plan so I dumped it. Today its over 45 years ago. I'm a very different person from those days, and I have no interest in HS reunions, which is a lot of comparing, competing over who was more successful.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:52 PM

775 posts, read 775,812 times
I bring mine to reunions. Only paid $6 for it in 1975, hard cover. Now they charge hundred Sixty!

Old 11-16-2016, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,184 times
I have one from my four years of high school. I just digitized it and dumped the hard copy. I guess it's a little scary how much of my life is sitting in the cloud when I think about it...Anyway, one less thing cluttering up my physical space, which I'm grateful for.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:23 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
Funny this has come up, I had to do some serious cleaning out so they had to go...I had a brief moment of hesitation but then they got thrown away. I have no contact with anyone from high school but if I wanted to I figured I could probably find them through Classmates or Facebook. But after 50 years I doubt it...actually it felt kind of freeing. High school doesn't bring back a lot of good memories for me.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:21 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
The value which we place on mementos of our younger years will vary from person to person, but I can't imagine my being so short of storage space that I would throw away my high school yearbooks! Even if I only look at them once every five years (don't know what the actual frequency has been), they are valuable to me.

So in answer to the OP's question as to what I did with it, why I kept it, of course! After I die, someone else can throw it out.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Apparently, from these posts, not everyone had a great experience in high school. As for me, I enjoyed it immensely, but can appreciate other's opinions too. I guess I will keep mine, in a box, in the closet, just like before. Alot of stuff is going to Good Will, but not these mementos.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:40 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
I threw all of mine away except my senior one. Once when I lost my driver's license, a high school yearbook was one fom of ID that they would accept. I think you needed 3 different forms of ID to get a replacement and I was glad I had the yearbook because I don't have much of anything else in the way of ID. I also used my birth certificate and I think a credit card in my name was the 3rd.

If I could be sure I'd never need it for ID purposes again, I'd throw out the last one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement