Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:23 AM

14,225 posts, read 14,646,717 times

Advertisements

We have talked some about how long does one wait before finally saying/realizing they cannot take it with them. Well at age 74 and no spouse (she died a year ago), I have finally decided it is time to start drawing down on my retirement (non-IRA) accounts (several mutual funds and direct stock).

I have started with the highest cost per share accounts (for tax purposes) which are Fidelity and VanGuard. I have set up a specific dollar amount monthly withdrawal form each. As far as my direct stock ownership, I am going to see what my taxing situation in as 2016 will be my first taxing year as filing single but I expect they (the stocks) will be the next draw down/sell.

I have not touched nor at this time plan on touching my IRA's. Other than RMD's, I am letting them (mutual fund based) continue to sit there and earn.

The one thing that started me in this direction was the realization that with no spouse, it is all about me...me...me. A different and I must admit liberating way of thinking. It is time to start enjoying the labor of my savings. Not sure what to do with the extra but I will find something to do with it.......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 11:57 AM

6,609 posts, read 7,293,224 times
Sounds like you know what you are doing.

I would try and estimate your taxes for this year. Depending on your income you may have no or little capital gains tax. You can probably use a free tax software package (look at the IRS site to find links) to test your tax.

If you have any losses sell these first to avoid taxes.

Might look at a LOW (Vanguard) cost annuity to add income to life and reduce the need for the assets you are spending down.

Good luck

Old 11-05-2016, 12:14 PM

10,600 posts, read 12,064,847 times
John, I'm single, never married, no kids….
I'm well traveled, speak foreign languages, well educated…..
low maintenance, spiritually grounded, down to earth (if I do say so myself)
I'd make a great companion!

You could play as much golf as you like, and I wouldn't mind….

Old 11-05-2016, 02:45 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,482,451 times
Just remember 401k and 403b and ira go to heirs on your death. They must pay taxes on withdrawals, and your RMD apply to them. You might be kinder to your heirs by spending these first.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Just remember 401k and 403b and ira go to heirs on your death. They must pay taxes on withdrawals, and your RMD apply to them. You might be kinder to your heirs by spending these first.
I have no 400's and as far as my heirs, I am not concerned about them and anything they get is gravy so let them deal with the taxes.

Want to avoid taxes? Have nothing....LOL

Old 11-05-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Sounds like you know what you are doing.

I would try and estimate your taxes for this year. Depending on your income you may have no or little capital gains tax. You can probably use a free tax software package (look at the IRS site to find links) to test your tax.

If you have any losses sell these first to avoid taxes.

Might look at a LOW (Vanguard) cost annuity to add income to life and reduce the need for the assets you are spending down.

Good luck
I would not touch an Annutiy with a 10 foot pole but another subject.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:17 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,935,125 times
johngolf --

First of all my condolences on the loss of your wife. I've enjoyed your posts and I've learned a lot about life from your views on various topics.

Secondly, there is a good piece of software on the TurboTax website called TaxCaster. You can enter estimates of your data for 2016 and it will produce a solid forecast of what you may owe our Rich Uncle Sam.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool...ors/taxcaster/

And lastly, you may never get a better deal than Selhars just offered........I'd give it serious consideration.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:42 AM

Five

Thanks for the condolences and the link. I was going to do a "dummy" TurboTax return but this seems to be the answer.

Selhars sounds lovely but I have decided I am quite happy going it alone with my occasional FB....but another subject.....LOL

Old 11-07-2016, 09:58 AM

18,226 posts, read 16,845,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
John, I'm single, never married, no kids….
I'm well traveled, speak foreign languages, well educated…..
low maintenance, spiritually grounded, down to earth (if I do say so myself)
I'd make a great companion!

You could play as much golf as you like, and I wouldn't mind….
selhars, you don't indicate if you're male or female. We don't discriminate in here based on sexual preference but John may have his own personal preference.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 AM

18,226 posts, read 16,845,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am quite happy going it alone with my occasional FB
FaceBook?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement