U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 03:31 PM

2,213 posts, read 935,111 times

Advertisements

I took the lump sum for several reasons. My financial advisor was able to show me that it was basically a wash between the lump sum and the annuity the company offered. I liked the fact that I was in control of the money and invested it in such a way that it will provide a very nice income for the rest of my life. Another factor was that I do not have the longevity gene so I wanted to be able to pass the money on to my heirs vs the company keeping it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 07:10 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,015,939 times
my wife just went through this. I took my early pension because I had no trust that my old company would be around much longer. I did not want her to take an early distribution because her pension is with a large deep pocket lots of cash corporation.

She analyzed it for a few weeks and ultimately came to the conclusion that they were trying to rip her off so she decided to ignore the reminders that started coming once a week until the deadline passed. It really did seem like they were getting desparate to pay out some early distributions.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:35 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,202,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
my wife just went through this. I took my early pension because I had no trust that my old company would be around much longer. I did not want her to take an early distribution because her pension is with a large deep pocket lots of cash corporation.

She analyzed it for a few weeks and ultimately came to the conclusion that they were trying to rip her off so she decided to ignore the reminders that started coming once a week until the deadline passed. It really did seem like they were getting desparate to pay out some early distributions.
My concern, is that they will come back next year or some time in the future, just before you retire or while retired and force you into taking an option you don't want such as "Here is your lower paying crummy annuity, and since you didn't take the one time offered lump-sum you are stuck with getting 30-40% less in monthly payments".

Old 11-09-2016, 08:41 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,202,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I took the lump sum for several reasons. My financial advisor was able to show me that it was basically a wash between the lump sum and the annuity the company offered. I liked the fact that I was in control of the money and invested it in such a way that it will provide a very nice income for the rest of my life. Another factor was that I do not have the longevity gene so I wanted to be able to pass the money on to my heirs vs the company keeping it.
My had this nonsense in there about limiting your pension if you were also taking social security. With the lump-sum that eliminates that concern.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:05 AM

2,448 posts, read 3,668,587 times
Quote:
Because I was under 59 1/2, I would have had to roll over a lump sum to an IRA to avoid an early penalty and tax. The lump sum offered me was decent but not near what I would have received with a normal life expectancy. I would have had to invest it wisely and safely, but that type of investment would not have yielded me a high enough return to make taking the lump sum worthwhile.
Don't forget to research the 72(t) Rule! That can benefit those retiring prior to 59-1/ by eliminating the 10% penalty on IRA withdrawals if you elect "Substantial and Regular" payments from the account. And the magic age for penalty free withdrawals from a 401(k) Plan is only 55, not 59-1/2! A person may be able to direct their buy-out/Lump Sum as a payment to their 401(k) or 403(b).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or