U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-10-2016, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,450 posts, read 3,756,859 times
Reputation: 9257

Advertisements

Trump is no conservative fellow traveler. DUH. He's all over the map and seems to have little coherent ideology.

 
Old 11-10-2016, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Metropolis IL
1,595 posts, read 1,890,500 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
What gives you the idea he is the least bit interested in fixing ANY of our problems? He just got elected to prove he could - that he could say and do anything he wanted and STILL get elected. No one in this country is safe and we should all be very, very afraid. He is evil, pure and simple.
Why? Because he was once a young handsome billionaire who pursued women?
 
Old 11-10-2016, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,885 posts, read 25,311,688 times
Reputation: 26361
I am eligible to apply now because I am within 3 months of turning 62. If I am wrong, please correct me. It was my plan to hold out to FRA or at least as long as I can for the increased benefits. I THINK it's a double edged sword for me because I get MY benefits but I would lose my widow's benefits. Right?

So what's the fastest they could change SS? If I find out Trump et al threw me under the bus, would I still have a chance to mitigate the damage by claiming my benefits?
 
Old 11-11-2016, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,415 posts, read 5,132,424 times
Reputation: 7231
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Any changes to SS will not affect anyone over the age of 50. Under that age might be fair game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Stop whistling in the cemetery. Changes don't get grandfathered in over 20 years anymore...they come in 6 months with no publicity.

And we should stop fooling ourselves that they "listen to the old folks because they vote". Nobody remembers ANYTHING for 6 months, much less the years to vote somebody out. You remember until the next sound bite. Think the press will ferret it out? Hahah - no more 60 Minutes around - it's all entertainment for the masses with no substance beyond clickbait.
In December 2014 Congress added a last minute item to the budget that allowed multi-employer (private) defined benefit pension plans to make cuts for current retirees to get the plans out of "critical and declining status".

Twelve years ago when I retired I made many of my decisions based on an income that would not change because ERISA laws prevented cuts.

United States Department of Labor: Frequently Asked Questions

In July 2017 my pension is being cut by 60%. I will soon get just 40% of what I now get and that level of reduction means that I most likely will not be able to keep my home and face the daunting prospect of trying to sell rural property and move somewhere else at the age of 70+.

Don't assume that cuts to SS can't happen in the blink of an eye.
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:05 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,472 posts, read 4,216,580 times
Reputation: 9779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
What gives you the idea he is the least bit interested in fixing ANY of our problems? He just got elected to prove he could - that he could say and do anything he wanted and STILL get elected. No one in this country is safe and we should all be very, very afraid. He is evil, pure and simple.
You need to calm down.
Do you really think Trump would have run for office if he didn't care about the country and think we had some major problems that needed fixing? He already had plenty of money and power.


Trump may surprise you -- give him a chance.
I did the same thing with Obama. I didn't think he was going to do a good job when he first got into office - BUT I was willing to see what he did before criticizing him.


Try doing the same thing.
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:26 AM
 
7,185 posts, read 2,752,994 times
Reputation: 3172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Please share the math you used to calculate that because if your SS check will only be $1700 your average earnings are not very high. Since you pay 6.2% into SS I am baffled as to what you would have invested that in to give you returns that would allow you to withdraw $10,000 a month until you die...but I will withhold judgment until I see your calculations.
I think you are incorrect. the OP said he did this 'a few years ago'.

for 2015,

"the average Social Security check amounts to an annual Social Security income of about $16,000, "

"the average monthly Social Security payment to retired workers will be $1,341 in 2016."

which is significantly less than the $1700 a month that the OP calculated. When he did the calc, it is possible that the max earner benefit at the time was around $1700 a month. So, when calculating his potential benefits 'a few years ago', it is clear the OP's earnings (subject to SS deduction) were well above average. Because there is an upper limit on earnings that are subject to SS deduction, the OP may well have significantly higher earnings.

How Big Is the Average Social Security Check? -- The Motley Fool
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:28 AM
 
7,185 posts, read 2,752,994 times
Reputation: 3172
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I am eligible to apply now because I am within 3 months of turning 62. If I am wrong, please correct me. It was my plan to hold out to FRA or at least as long as I can for the increased benefits. I THINK it's a double edged sword for me because I get MY benefits but I would lose my widow's benefits. Right?

So what's the fastest they could change SS? If I find out Trump et al threw me under the bus, would I still have a chance to mitigate the damage by claiming my benefits?
As a widow, you can actually hold out for your own benefits until they are higher than the widow benefit, all the way up to age 70. You really need to talk to a specialist at your local SS office.
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:57 AM
 
4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
Reputation: 10428
I'm 66 and waiting until I'm 70 to collect SS. We were out to dinner last night with friends, also 66, and both waiting until age 70 to collect. As scary as a Trump presidency is, SS will still be there. I'd worry more if I was under 55 because that's where they'll make the squeeze.
 
Old 11-11-2016, 06:11 AM
 
1,483 posts, read 413,866 times
Reputation: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
In December 2014 Congress added a last minute item to the budget that allowed multi-employer (private) defined benefit pension plans to make cuts for current retirees to get the plans out of "critical and declining status".

Twelve years ago when I retired I made many of my decisions based on an income that would not change because ERISA laws prevented cuts.

United States Department of Labor: Frequently Asked Questions

In July 2017 my pension is being cut by 60%. I will soon get just 40% of what I now get and that level of reduction means that I most likely will not be able to keep my home and face the daunting prospect of trying to sell rural property and move somewhere else at the age of 70+.

Don't assume that cuts to SS can't happen in the blink of an eye.
True enough, they got rid of "file and suspend" spousal benefits pretty quickly.
 
Old 11-11-2016, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,571 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Reputation: 27627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
The problem people are having, is that they're reacting to the celebrity Trump, instead of what the Presidential Trump may or may not be.
True. I think a lot of the outlandish tweets and statements were little more than a ploy to get free media time. If his proposals were read and understood, yes, most of his platform was right of center, but he has also taken traditionally left of center positions, particularly on trade, entitlements, and foreign wars. Ted Cruz would have governed far to the right of Trump. I think Trump is going to be very flexible ideologically and work across the idea, much like the balleyhooed Kasich probably would have done

I don't see Trump as ideological, and I certainly don't think he's going to ban all Muslims, deport all illegals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top