U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2016, 08:44 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,445,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
About the state to state issue...

That is a consequence of the McCarran-Ferguson Act passed in 1945, not Obamacare/ACA. There is a section (Section 1333 to be specific) of the ACA that gives states the option to allow it.
For 2016, under Obamacare, I have a multi-state plan for an individual (I am far from medicare age). For 2017, all insurers have dropped multi-state policies (at least in my home state).

I'm told by agents the issue isn't in the Obamacare law, but rather a consequence of Obamacare/ACA. I'm not sure if this explanation is valid, but here's what I'm told.

Insurance companies concluded that collectively individual purchasers of insurance who make use of its multi-state feature are higher risk - perhaps they are collectively older/sicker but not yet medicare age. Perhaps they engage in higher risk professions - e.g., seasonal workers at ski resorts, etc. Maybe it is something else altogether. Regardless, because Obamacare eliminates the pre-existing condition ban, the insurance companies discovered it was too costly to offer and have eliminated it.

In my case, I'm willing to pay more for multi-state insurance, and I'm able to pay more, but there is none available for sale.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:55 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,445,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Flo View Post
I think seniors are going to be in for a rude awakening with the Trump/Paul Ryan years ahead. Medicare is considered an entitlement and Paul Ryan is looking to make cuts/changes that won't be favorable. His plan would eliminate Medicare as we know it and then give you a certain credit and you go out and find your own insurance.
The devil, as they say, is in the details.

The Republican majority knows full well that the many well-documented Obamacare problems contributed to the poor performance of the Democrats in this election cycle. That lesson is not lost on them. Any change they make must be successful - or they will all be out at the next election. They know it. We know it. They know we know it.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 AM

9,162 posts, read 3,010,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Very doubtful. If they made changes to social security like that you can guarantee sweeping changes in congress in 2 years and the white house in 4 with the changes being reversed.
If only your prediction through rose-colored glasses will come true.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:46 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
So true. There would such a public outcry if they tried to making sweeping change.
Why? When they made it perfectly clear what they intended to do and people then elected them to do it.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I understand that but why is it necessary to pay insurance companies so much to administer a health plan AND make a profit, what do we get for that money?

The ACA's medical-loss ratio requires insurers spend at least 80% of premiums on medical care, and a maximum of 20% can be spent on administrative functions, salaries and other operating expenses. Florida Blue's $471 million profit last year represented 17% of the premiums collected.

According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, administrative costs in Medicare are only about 2 percent of operating expenditures. Defenders of the insurance industry estimate administrative costs as 17 percent of revenue.
Isn't that a private sector v public sector difference? Profit is the core private sector motive and the reason people risk capital

Old 11-21-2016, 06:18 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,073,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Why? When they made it perfectly clear what they intended to do and people then elected them to do it.
Trump has never said that he is going to make sweeping changes to social security. Paul Ryan is on a crusade to change it. George W. Bush also wanted to change SS and got nowhere. I see no reason why Ryan will have any success trying to sell massive changes.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Trump has never said that he is going to make sweeping changes to social security. Paul Ryan is on a crusade to change it. George W. Bush also wanted to change SS and got nowhere. I see no reason why Ryan will have any success trying to sell massive changes.
The Art of the Deal and SS being a trading between Ryan and Trump. What Trump said Ore election and post election are not necessarily the same. Pence is on Ryan's side
http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/15/news...ity/index.html

Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 AM

6,854 posts, read 11,123,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The Art of the Deal and SS being a trading between Ryan and Trump. What Trump said Ore election and post election are not necessarily the same. Pence is on Ryan's side
On Social Security, Trump and Pence couldn't be more different - Jul. 15, 2016
Exactly. Trump is/was a pig in poke- a wild card. His pronouncements change from day to day- as an opportunist his goals are deliberately cloudy. He was elected on a single slogan, told the people what they wanted to hear, and was never a mainstream Republican- he's more of an undeclared third party. He's making up his own rules.

But besides Pence and Ryan we've got his appointed "chief strategist", Steve Bannon, who is an avowed destroyer of government in general as well as the party system. All bets are off. If you think I'm exaggerating- read his Breitbart manifesto.

Whether these people will achieve their goals and whether Trump goes along to get along is going to be very uncertain.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 AM

8,087 posts, read 4,422,299 times
Guess Senator Sanders is among the naive. He does not believe that President-elect Trump has any intentions of 'destroying' any of the sacrosanct three.
Quote:
Also Sunday, Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, said that Democrats may be able to work with Trump on some issues.

“You know, Donald Trump has talked about he is not going to cut Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. He is going to work to re-establish Glass-Steagall legislation. He wants to rebuild the infrastructure,” Sanders said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “Those are issues that some of us have been working on for years. And if he wants to work with us on those issues, I accept that.”

- See more at: Pence: Obamacare Repeal Comes First for Trump

Old 11-21-2016, 07:54 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Exactly. Trump is/was a pig in poke- a wild card. His pronouncements change from day to day- as an opportunist his goals are deliberately cloudy. He was elected on a single slogan, told the people what they wanted to hear, and was never a mainstream Republican- he's more of an undeclared third party. He's making up his own rules.

But besides Pence and Ryan we've got his appointed "chief strategist", Steve Bannon, who is an avowed destroyer of government in general as well as the party system. All bets are off. If you think I'm exaggerating- read his Breitbart manifesto.

Whether these people will achieve their goals and whether Trump goes along to get along is going to be very uncertain.
I don't know what all you've read about Bannon, but while he does want to bring down the current establishment, Bannon and Trump are not "government so small you can drown it in a bathtub" conservatives. There are many issues this government is not conservative on - the best way to describe Trumpism is big government nationalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or