U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 07:37 AM

154 posts, read 401,294 times

Advertisements

Let's put the brakes on military spending. No new wars. Since Trump is a populist, use taxpayers money to fund Medicare.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:46 AM

708 posts, read 502,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Trump's proposed 13.5% across-the-board cut in federal spending would result in a cut to Social Security that would reduce the average monthly benefit by $182, from $1,360 in 2017 to $1,177.

If you are a retiree who voted for him- did you not know what his policies were?
[mod cut] He said he is not going to cut SS plus congress would never vote for it. He is not cutting across the board, [mod cut] liberals need to research before putting scare tactics out on her for people that are on SS.

Last edited by volosong; 11-23-2016 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: personal attacks not permitted per the T.O.S.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:17 AM

6,625 posts, read 3,750,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Let's put the brakes on military spending. No new wars. Since Trump is a populist, use taxpayers money to fund Medicare.
He's not a populist, I think. He's a big military pro-defense guy. He thinks what's the good of nuclear weapons if you don't use them. He thinks many nations have the right to have nuclear weapons for their defense.

He doesn't want to interfere with Russia and Iran's actions in Syria, but I don't think that makes him a dove. He seems hawkish to me. He has said he wants to go into Iraq and take the oil by bombing them. He has said he thinks the families of suspected terrorists should be bombed, as I recall.

But however Trump feels about things, he has advisors, now, who will tell him the defense should be stronger. And there are two major parties in Congress; he won't be able to get much done unless one side or the other is on his side. That side is the Republican side, and they are hawks and big defense spenders. You need Congress to get a lot of things done, except that some things can be done by Executive Order.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:25 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He's not a populist, I think. He's a big military pro-defense guy. He thinks what's the good of nuclear weapons if you don't use them. He thinks many nations have the right to have nuclear weapons for their defense.

He doesn't want to interfere with Russia and Iran's actions in Syria, but I don't think that makes him a dove. He seems hawkish to me. He has said he wants to go into Iraq and take the oil by bombing them. He has said he thinks the families of suspected terrorists should be bombed, as I recall.

But however Trump feels about things, he has advisors, now, who will tell him the defense should be stronger. And there are two major parties in Congress; he won't be able to get much done unless one side or the other is on his side. That side is the Republican side, and they are hawks and big defense spenders. You need Congress to get a lot of things done, except that some things can be done by Executive Order.
There are those who say Trump is not a ideologist and thus can't be pigeon holed. They would say he is a pragmatist who adjusts as he gathers information and things play out. Sorta like most deal makers which Washington has a serious lack of. Not sure how many in congress have the national Twitter following he has and as we have seen Twitter is powerful and can bring other elected officials down. Trump can sit in Trump Tower and launch a localized Twitter assault deep into Red States and districts.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:26 AM

979 posts, read 606,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Or maybe you would gain good people to be good doctors who care more about healing than getting rich?
I don't know what your definition of rich is but I can tell you that the Primary Care physicians I work with at the VA do not fit into my definition of being rich. I am an R.N. and work daily with 2 exceptionally caring and competent PCPs. One is age 62 and the other 71 who will be retiring at the end of the year. Both of these physicians have 20+ years of Federal service and their salaries are in the ball park of $175,000 annually. Sounds pretty good except these two physicians easily work 60 hours a week and not 40 like most people in the work force, and 20 of those 60 hours they are not getting paid for. One physician comes in to work two hours early and leaves two hours late every day to get his work done. The other has the ability to have a work lap top which she can plug into the medical record data base and do work from home which she does 2 hours every evening and multiple hours on weekends. So when you do the math with a $175,000 salary divided by a 60 hour work week these two physicians are earning $56/hr = $116,480/yr which is a few dollars an hour more than I earn as an R.N. working a 40 hour work week.

Funny, most of us have no problem dropping $50 to get a hair cut which is not an intervention that could save our lives, but complain if we have to pay $50 to see our doctor whose interventions can very well save our lives.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:54 AM

1,898 posts, read 847,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I don't know what your definition of rich is but I can tell you that the Primary Care physicians I work with at the VA do not fit into my definition of being rich. I am an R.N. and work daily with 2 exceptionally caring and competent PCPs. One is age 62 and the other 71 who will be retiring at the end of the year. Both of these physicians have 20+ years of Federal service and their salaries are in the ball park of $175,000 annually. Sounds pretty good except these two physicians easily work 60 hours a week and not 40 like most people in the work force, and 20 of those 60 hours they are not getting paid for. One physician comes in to work two hours early and leaves two hours late every day to get his work done. The other has the ability to have a work lap top which she can plug into the medical record data base and do work from home which she does 2 hours every evening and multiple hours on weekends. So when you do the math with a $175,000 salary divided by a 60 hour work week these two physicians are earning $56/hr = $116,480/yr which is a few dollars an hour more than I earn as an R.N. working a 40 hour work week.

Funny, most of us have no problem dropping $50 to get a hair cut which is not an intervention that could save our lives, but complain if we have to pay $50 to see our doctor whose interventions can very well save our lives.
Not rich but not middle class either. Need a new definition for those in the 150-250 a year range.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:44 AM

4,671 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:

Thank you for posting this. I guess I have always thought of doctors as being top earners.

But something you did not mention is what they have to pay for malpractice insurance. And in these days, I believe they can't take the chance of not having it.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:00 AM

358 posts, read 223,029 times
The best thing about these posts is how many people recognized the falsity of the initial post and urged common sense: the guy isn't President yet, and no one knows yet what he will do, if anything, with social security; therefore, don't go off half-cocked.

Trump's campaign platform was that he wouldn't touch social security. This is unlike President Obama who tried to reduce social security benefits. Democrats plead with Obama to abandon Social Security cut | TheHill.

People can decide for themselves if Paul Ryan's voucher plan for Medicare makes sense.

Keep in mind that Obamacare has a drastic impact on Medicare in Section 3403 of the legislation. That created an independent board that MUST cut reimbursement rates for Medicare services if the Medicare budget exceeds targets set the Treasury.

This procedure for the board is not affected by which party is in power. It's an automatic process. Most seniors don't understand how bad this COULD be because the targets haven't been exceeded yet. Nothing has happened YET. When it does, the myth that Democrats care about seniors will blow away.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:14 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
Quote:
I don't know what your definition of rich is but I can tell you that the Primary Care physicians I work with at the VA do not fit into my definition of being rich. I am an R.N. and work daily with 2 exceptionally caring and competent PCPs. One is age 62 and the other 71 who will be retiring at the end of the year. Both of these physicians have 20+ years of Federal service and their salaries are in the ball park of $175,000 annually. Sounds pretty good except these two physicians easily work 60 hours a week and not 40 like most people in the work force, and 20 of those 60 hours they are not getting paid for. ..........
Thank you for supporting the point I was making. Your docs work for the government, salaried employees. You say they are dedicated and hardworking, in spite of earning less than they would in private practice. This is what could happen if we had single payer national health care, and doctors who cared more about healing and less about money. It works in most other industrialized countries.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:50 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Trump's campaign platform was that he wouldn't touch social security. This is unlike President Obama who tried to reduce social security benefits. Democrats plead with Obama to abandon Social Security cut | TheHill.
That is a pretty biased article. Obama did not propose a cut; he proposed using chained CPI instead of CPI to compute COL increases. It is generally a tiny bit lower than traditional CPI, but most economists agree it is more accurate. So you have to get a little creative to call it a cut. And the only reason he proposed it was to offer a compromise to the GOP, who wants it, in order to get them to the bargaining table. But other DEMs stood firm against it. Anyway, it wasn't his desire to do it; he wasn't trying to do it so much as being willing to drop resistance to it in exchange for other considerations at the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or