U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Chesapeake Bay
6,048 posts, read 3,874,457 times
Reputation: 3502

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think he is sympathetic to the worth of SS and Medicare and that is why he wants to preserve them. He is not the one to worry about as much as those who want to eliminate for reasons of ideology
Ryan's concept of preservation of Medicare is not preservation, it is destruction. Simply because most on Medicare just can not afford to pay market prices for health insurance. They will opt out of Medicare and in large numbers at that. Which in itself will destroy the program.

Ryan knows that. You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

However, I don't think Ryan is going to prevail on this issue.

 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:07 AM
 
154 posts, read 401,532 times
Reputation: 301
The Republicans have been itching to get rid of our government funded safety net programs for decades. Here is their chance! Don't fall for their propaganda, they don't care if us peons go broke paying for healthcare. I cannot think of one single program that Republicans have implemented to help the taxpayers as far as safety nets. No, I don't think the Democrats are the next best thing since sliced bread, but I KNOW they wouldn't actually destroy our safety nets. It's almost mind boggling to read others who think that Ryan, et al. want to preserve our safety net. It truly is delusional.
 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:14 AM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Ryan's concept of preservation of Medicare is not preservation, it is destruction. Simply because most on Medicare just can not afford to pay market prices for health insurance. They will opt out of Medicare and in large numbers at that. Which in itself will destroy the program.

Ryan knows that. You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

However, I don't think Ryan is going to prevail on this issue.
You will get base coverage. Above that U pay for. Somebody has to pay. This stuff isn't free
 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,676 posts, read 3,250,875 times
Reputation: 11982
What is ZIRP?
 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,085 posts, read 13,614,329 times
Reputation: 22147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You will get base coverage. Above that U pay for. Somebody has to pay. This stuff isn't free
Base coverage? Where is that promised in Ryan's plan? All Republican medicare 'reform' plans talk about 'decreased utilization' it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the only way you achieve that is by pricing care out of reach of millions of people.

And by the way, schools aren't free, police departments aren't free, highways aren't free...but we find a way to collectively pay for them...why not health care?
 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 AM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Reputation: 11705
Folks, millions have gone without health insurance and will die without it if they become ill. The poor in many states especially in the south don't have health care. If the ACA is repealed millions who currently have won't anymore unless a replacement provides for. We as seniors can as a group just join the ranks of the millions who face death if we can't afford the eventual price of Medicare.
 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Chesapeake Bay
6,048 posts, read 3,874,457 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You will get base coverage. Above that U pay for. Somebody has to pay. This stuff isn't free
Base coverage? What's that? An X-ray, a blood test? An asperin? Stuff like that?

Would it include surgeries, cancer treatment, etc? No insurance company would insure these 65, 70, 80 for those things at any kind of reasonable prices that most in that age group could afford.

Sorry, not gonna happen. You are dreaming, not dealing with reality.
 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:35 AM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Base coverage? Where is that promised in Ryan's plan? All Republican medicare 'reform' plans talk about 'decreased utilization' it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the only way you achieve that is by pricing care out of reach of millions of people.

And by the way, schools aren't free, police departments aren't free, highways aren't free...but we find a way to collectively pay for them...why not health care?
They provide a service considered important to the growth and security of society. What is the value added of seniors not working and living on SS who can't afford $7500 per year for their health insurance. We may not have elected people who care. In fact the data shows seniors preferred them when they voted
 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:40 AM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Base coverage? What's that? An X-ray, a blood test? An asperin? Stuff like that?

Would it include surgeries, cancer treatment, etc? No insurance company would insure these 65, 70, 80 for those things at any kind of reasonable prices that most in that age group could afford.

Sorry, not gonna happen. You are dreaming, not dealing with reality.
A separate pool with coverage based on what reasonable budget allocation will provide. I have been of the posters in the forum who for years said a couple needs 300k for medical overage and we are often told we are crazy. Oh well!
 
Old 12-02-2016, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Retired
648 posts, read 498,231 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I must have missed that. When and how?
Obama appointed a commission. Sometimes referred to as Bowles-Simpson,or BS for short. This bipartisan committee members were all deficit hawks selected by Obama. The committee never reached agreement on anything. So Simpson and Bowles made their own recommendations to Obama. They recommended three different ways to cut Social Security benefits. Obama selected on of these options, the chained CPI. Most of the big name Democrats supported Obama. Obama's only problem was, the Republicans refused to accept any Obama budget plan, even if it included the chained CPI which they also wanted.
When I wrote my Democrat senator from Indiana, Donnelly, asking that he not support cutting benefits, he wrote back that "tough choices" would have to be made regarding Social Security.
There are many Democrats who will cave in an instant when it comes to Social Security. Actually, I should not save cave, as Obama pushed the chained CPI for several years. He never promised to preserve Social Security benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top