U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Obama appointed a commission. Sometimes referred to as Bowles-Simpson,or BS for short. This bipartisan committee members were all deficit hawks selected by Obama. The committee never reached agreement on anything. So Simpson and Bowles made their own recommendations to Obama. They recommended three different ways to cut Social Security benefits. Obama selected on of these options, the chained CPI. Most of the big name Democrats supported Obama. Obama's only problem was, the Republicans refused to accept any Obama budget plan, even if it included the chained CPI which they also wanted.
When I wrote my Democrat senator from Indiana, Donnelly, asking that he not support cutting benefits, he wrote back that "tough choices" would have to be made regarding Social Security.
There are many Democrats who will cave in an instant when it comes to Social Security. Actually, I should not save cave, as Obama pushed the chained CPI for several years. He never promised to preserve Social Security benefits.
That was a sacrificial lamb for him and other Democrats who had other budget priorities, especially when seniors heavily trend Republican when they vote.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Base coverage? What's that? An X-ray, a blood test? An asperin? Stuff like that?

Would it include surgeries, cancer treatment, etc? No insurance company would insure these 65, 70, 80 for those things at any kind of reasonable prices that most in that age group could afford.

Sorry, not gonna happen. You are dreaming, not dealing with reality.
Your Road Map To Paul Ryan's Plan To Privatize Medicare

Quote:
Ryan has been pushing his privatization plan – or what he calls "premium support" – for years. It's been part of his annual budget blueprints, and it has evolved over time. The basic idea is that Ryan would give the elderly a set amount of money to buy health insurance rather than Medicare's fee-for-service system where the government pays doctors and hospitals based on the services they provide.

How much money the elderly would receive to buy insurance, the quality of the plans available, how the government would regulate them and the rate at which the benefits would increase have varied over the years and sometimes have been unclear.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Ryan's concept of preservation of Medicare is not preservation, it is destruction. Simply because most on Medicare just can not afford to pay market prices for health insurance. They will opt out of Medicare and in large numbers at that. Which in itself will destroy the program.

Ryan knows that. You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

However, I don't think Ryan is going to prevail on this issue.
No I am not deluding myself. Like others in the forum I have stayed on top of over the years and realized that privatization was a likely probability and been preparing for. Sorta like long term care and what steps are any of taking to deal with the eventual reality that Medicaid will be restructured due to budget constraints. That's always a lively thread!

Just more reason to delay SS as long as you can. Gotta claw out every retirement dollar possible.

I agree that once the rah rah we won euphoria goes away and the burden of governing with no bogeyman to rally against sets in. Votes will be difficult to come by for radical restructuring which brings up that perhaps this is just a smoke screen to do something less harsh with a bi-partisan vote.

This effects so much in ways no one is even discussing. Could be the end of active 55 communities as more income and equity goes for insurance costs.

Last edited by TuborgP; 12-02-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 12:06 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Folks, millions have gone without health insurance and will die without it if they become ill. The poor in many states especially in the south don't have health care. If the ACA is repealed millions who currently have won't anymore unless a replacement provides for. We as seniors can as a group just join the ranks of the millions who face death if we can't afford the eventual price of Medicare.
Again, I think this is overly dramatic and sensational.

The ACA policies are often already unaffordable for those on limited incomes. In 2013, I making a little under $12/hr and the ACA policy I had, which had a $3,000 deductible or so, was about $150/month. Insurers have left the market since then and I'm sure rates have skyrocketed. For older people, coverage is bound to be more expensive still.

At best, this was catastrophic coverage for me. I went to an urgent care with pneumonia, and even with the insurance, it was $700 or so for the office visit and medicine. At my $11 and change hourly wage, this was about a paycheck for me. Yes, it would provide coverage above my deductible if I had a significant medical event, but the odds of me having the $3,000 on my wage was poor.

My current employer provided policy has a lower deductible, lower monthly premiums, and better overall coverage. The ACA policy was garbage by comparison.

There are many, many other factors unique to the rural South that cause people to die early. High rates of smoking, obesity, and substance abuse. Unavailability of or extremely expensive healthy food. Suspicion of doctors and dentists. It just goes on and on.

I have no doubt that if you provided every poor Southerner free, all expenses paid medical care for life, that you'd still have higher rates of early death than in most parts of the country. The problems go way beyond costly medical insurance.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
\ We as seniors can as a group just join the ranks of the millions who face death if we can't afford the eventual price of Medicare.
Probably, unless we all take better responsibility for our own health at a preventive level. But with cancer striking even those who do take care of themselves well, I have to wonder what will happen in a worst case scenario.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm honestly not worried.
Your retirement is likely a good 1/3 century away. Why would you be worried?

OTOH, any idea how many safety net programs will be decimated in 30 years at the rate we're going? I hope you are making a ton of money in these next decades.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Again, I think this is overly dramatic and sensational.

The ACA policies are often already unaffordable for those on limited incomes. In 2013, I making a little under $12/hr and the ACA policy I had, which had a $3,000 deductible or so, was about $150/month. Insurers have left the market since then and I'm sure rates have skyrocketed. For older people, coverage is bound to be more expensive still.

At best, this was catastrophic coverage for me. I went to an urgent care with pneumonia, and even with the insurance, it was $700 or so for the office visit and medicine. At my $11 and change hourly wage, this was about a paycheck for me. Yes, it would provide coverage above my deductible if I had a significant medical event, but the odds of me having the $3,000 on my wage was poor.

My current employer provided policy has a lower deductible, lower monthly premiums, and better overall coverage. The ACA policy was garbage by comparison.

There are many, many other factors unique to the rural South that cause people to die early. High rates of smoking, obesity, and substance abuse. Unavailability of or extremely expensive healthy food. Suspicion of doctors and dentists. It just goes on and on.

I have no doubt that if you provided every poor Southerner free, all expenses paid medical care for life, that you'd still have higher rates of early death than in most parts of the country. The problems go way beyond costly medical insurance.
Have you looked at the uninsured rates in Alabama and Mississippi where Diabetes for them can become a unaffordable medial incident? They aren't even the highest percentage states:
http://kff.org/uninsured/state-indic...entTimeframe=0

Last edited by TuborgP; 12-02-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 9 days ago)

5,605 posts, read 6,696,297 times
Young Man: "Man, these Soylent Green Chips taste sooo good!"

Young Woman: "Yeah ...they are!" "Your Grandpa would have loved these things!" "Wonder where he disappeared to?"

Old 12-02-2016, 12:31 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,872,797 times
Quote:
No I am not deluding myself. Like others in the forum I have stayed on top of over the years and realized that privatization was a likely probability and been preparing for. Sorta like long term care and what steps are any of taking to deal with the eventual reality that Medicaid will be restructured due to budget constraints. That's always a lively thread!

Just more reason to delay SS as long as you can. Gotta claw out every retirement dollar possible.

I agree that once the rah rah we won euphoria goes away and the burden of governing with no bogeyman to rally against sets in. Votes will be difficult to come by for radical restructuring which brings up that perhaps this is just a smoke screen to do something less harsh with a bi-partisan vote.

This effects so much in ways no one is even discussing. Could be the end of active 55 communities as more income and equity goes for insurance costs.
But you see (or perhaps you don't), the vast majority of those on Medicare are not you and they don't have the financial resources to cope with drastic increases that Ryan's plan would foist upon them. They just don't. For whatever reason, they don't.

It isn't just Medicare though. As I've previously written, the US is reaching the point that it no longer can afford its own healthcare system. This system has morphed into a grotesque hodgepodge of disparate healthcare crutches that really don't make a lot of sense and are no longer financially viable.

The best alternative would simply be to expand Medicare to all, put a reasonable cap on the 20% payment thus getting rid of the Advantage and Medigap company leaches, allow drug negotiations. If Ryan were seriously concerned about Medicare, he would go this route. But he is a fraud and any plan that he might come up with won't help anyone, it would be an overlooked accident if it did.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Young Man: "Man, these Soylent Green Chips taste sooo good!"

Young Woman: "Yeah ...they are!" "Your Grandpa would have loved these things!" "Wonder where he disappeared to?"
Man across the table: With the non elderly poor without insurance who have been dying for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or