U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 01:41 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,899,922 times

Advertisements

[quote=lenora;46390302]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Maybe it's time to ask why this level of selfishness prevails in our country. Seniors worked all their lives, raised kids, and now are they to be thrown away onto the street?[/quote}

How many seniors have supported the younger generations' efforts to reduce their student loan debt? Very, very few. Karma.

This comment makes little sense to me. The people you're talking about are usually the parents who help their children pay for college, if they can afford it. Most people I know helped their kids pay for college.

Also, most seniors (like yours truly) live on a fixed income and some of us are fortunate to have a nest egg we rely on for medical emergencies and other necessities. I was going to write more, but your response is very puzzling.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:45 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
[quote=Sibay;46390784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

That's not karma.

Why should people who take out loans not be expected to pay those loans back?
Quid pro quo. If you want me to pay for your Medicare you'll need to help me reduce my college debt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cd2fc399f003

I just read today that more white 18-29 year olds voted for Trump than Clinton. I can't say they voted against their self interest.

Last edited by lenora; 12-03-2016 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 02:28 PM

648 posts, read 496,901 times
[quote=lenora;46390972]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post

Quid pro quo. If you want me to pay for your Medicare you'll need to help me reduce my college debt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cd2fc399f003

I just read today that more white 18-29 year olds voted for Trump than Clinton. I can't say they voted against their self interest.
Someday you will need Medicare. Maybe you should have thought before you ran up a large college debt. I do believe student loans should have interest rates no higher than the prime rate. I also would prefer a partial student loan forgiveness over fighting more useless wars.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:37 PM

21,534 posts, read 43,972,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
In fact the data shows seniors preferred them when they voted
They were not voting on Medicare and SS - because the BELIEVED THE LIAR TRUMP when he said he wasn't going to touch those programs.

They were voting on immigration, terrorism, borders, low wages/trade, Supreme Court - and Crooked 'Lock 'er Up' Hillary. Never mind Trump told ten times as many lies and has stolen from thousands. He's got a "good heart" and "he's a Christian."

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Plenty of seniors voted Trump
Plenty of Latinos voted Trump
Plenty of low/no income whites voted Trump
Plenty of women voted Trump
All who did voted AGAINST their self-interest and against their long term benefit
Again - they BELIEVED THE LIAR TRUMP when he said he wasn't going to touch those programs.

None of them - none - considered they were voting for the whole RWNJ GOP enchilada when you voted for Trump.

Quote:
Hmmmm as one who has relocated to the South I would say that these folks may have voted against what you consider to be their self interest but it is consistent with their core values and beliefs.
Values born of ignorance and stupidity. I hear these people on C-Span every day. Proud of their poverty and lack of education. Beyond belief, the ignorance.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:57 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
[quote=Graywhiskers;46391336]
Quote:

Someday you will need Medicare. Maybe you should have thought before you ran up a large college debt. I do believe student loans should have interest rates no higher than the prime rate. I also would prefer a partial student loan forgiveness over fighting more useless wars.
This quoting is getting all mixed up. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, I, Lenora, will be 65 in February. Lenora has no college debt nor do her children.

The "I" in my illustration was the young person telling the old timer (you) we are in this together.

I really believe the writing is on the wall and all of us will have to give a little. Seniors no longer have the political power they once had and it's probably wise for most of us to prepare to make do on a little less income and accept that Medicare will be modified. I think if we want to help shape these changes we will need to get over the total denial and find a compromise that will work.

Yes, I know I'm whistling in the wind. BTDT.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:50 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,033,474 times
Quote:
Perhaps not selfishness but more one of cost/benefit. Should we establish criteria to determine deserving v undeserving seniors? It could be based on their work history/taxes paid and overall contribution to society to determine who is deserving and who not.

The driving reality is the cost of sustaining us as we age if we are unable to do so ourselves.
We might ask why people in this country are unwilling to support national health care for all, free or almost free college, old age income and care, etc. etc. which are commonplace in other developed countries, and many less developed ones too. It's a question of priorities.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:54 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
[quote=justNancy;46390941]
Quote:

This comment makes little sense to me. The people you're talking about are usually the parents who help their children pay for college, if they can afford it. Most people I know helped their kids pay for college.

Also, most seniors (like yours truly) live on a fixed income and some of us are fortunate to have a nest egg we rely on for medical emergencies and other necessities. I was going to write more, but your response is very puzzling.
The part of his quote is from one person and the second part from another responding to him.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:54 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,899,922 times
Quote:
We might ask why people in this country are unwilling to support national health care for all, free or almost free college, old age income and care, etc. etc. which are commonplace in other developed countries, and many less developed ones too. It's a question of priorities.
I apologize to Windwalker, because Lenora quoted you in post 714 and didn't close your quote properly. Then I used her quote and ended up blaming you for what she wrote. Sorry. I just realized this when I returned to the thread. Maybe a mod can fix the thread.

Anyway, my last comment (post 721) was directed at post 714. I should have caught it.

Last edited by justNancy; 12-03-2016 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 03:55 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
And core personal values often related to self reliance and small government. This is a big country with regions that were settled very differently with different histories and resulting values.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:01 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,869,242 times
[quote=lenora;46391545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post

This quoting is getting all mixed up. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, I, Lenora, will be 65 in February. Lenora has no college debt nor do her children.

The "I" in my illustration was the young person telling the old timer (you) we are in this together.

I really believe the writing is on the wall and all of us will have to give a little. Seniors no longer have the political power they once had and it's probably wise for most of us to prepare to make do on a little less income and accept that Medicare will be modified. I think if we want to help shape these changes we will need to get over the total denial and find a compromise that will work.

Yes, I know I'm whistling in the wind. BTDT.
Yes, you are whistling in the wind.

Ryan's destructive CouponCare isn't the solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or