Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 11:45 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So by these questions are we to assume you are somewhat younger than retirement age and haven't seen many elections?
Nope. But that has nothing to do with what Trump will do in office. Nobody seems to know. So why vote for someone that nobody knows what he/she will do once in office?

Old 11-10-2016, 11:46 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
Big deal. A few years ago I received a SS statement in the mail. I was running some numbers when DW came in and asked what I was doing. I told her I was calculating how much I would have if I had been allowed to invest my SS money myself. She said, "don't do that. It will **** you off." I kept working.

At the time, my SS statement said I would get $1700 per month at FRA. Knowing what I had paid in every year and knowing how my investments have performed, I calculated that at FRA, I would have had not $1700 per month but $10,000 per month. And that's only counting my share, not what my employer had to put in. DW was right. I was pissed off. If I were a young person today and given the option of SS or doing my own retirement, I would certainly opt out of SS. The return sucks.
Oh sure. I was just saying that I will be getting back my money. I would MUCH rather have had the option to invest that money. Even into 10 year treasury bonds, I'd have more in a lump sum, today. But if I live 20 years after retirement, I'll be getting almost 700k in that 20 years. I'm not complaining about that. And that is assuming that I don't wind up needing to use Medicaid or disability. The health care part of it is disconcerting. And disability. There is much more to this program than just retirement.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:12 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You really think that they will make a serious cut in SS to people that are living on that money? Yeah I don't see that happening at ALL.
To someone still in their 60's? If they live into their 80's, that probably would definitely have an impact in their later years as more and more funds are drained by younger people putting it into private funds.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:34 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
There's been no fundamental changes to SS since Reagan tinkered with the Taxes payable on SS Income......and that took the full co-operation of Tip O'Neill. I just don't see that kind of bi-partisan effort out of this bunch. And Tip ain't walking thru that door anytime soon.

You may get a few minor tweaks to the Top Salary for FICA wages, or maybe even some Means Testing for higher Income retirees. But a cut in the SS paycheck would cause open rebellion.

And Politicians should learn to stop calling SS an "Entitlement" Program. I paid money into the Trust Fund for years, and I want what is owed to me.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:57 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
To someone still in their 60's? If they live into their 80's, that probably would definitely have an impact in their later years as more and more funds are drained by younger people putting it into private funds.
Yeah exactly. That's why it won't happen.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:04 PM

297 posts, read 573,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We only have minor insight on how Trump will actually govern. I think many of the concerns are overblown, and frankly, misguided.

Most people see Trump as some sort of conservative ideologue. Many of Trump's positions are not traditional conservative positions, and this goes across the board. I honestly think Trump is not that ideological and is going to be a lot more pragmatic than people anticipate. I think he is going to put the well-being of the country and its people ahead of ideology.
^^This. I view him as an independent who ran as a Republican because it was pragmatic. An independent wouldn't have a chance at winning the election. I'm getting weary of the "sky is falling" hysteria since he won.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:13 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post
^^This. I view him as an independent who ran as a Republican because it was pragmatic. An independent wouldn't have a chance at winning the election. I'm getting weary of the "sky is falling" hysteria since he won.
Right - and he appealed to people who in reality he doesn't give a tinker's damn about just to get their vote. He wouldn't bother to say Hello on the street to the very people that voted for him. This was all a game for him - and to our amazement, he won.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Except for one thing, he is surrounded by hard core Republicans who have been itching to get their hands on SS and Medicare for a very long time, and while I haven't researched it, I'm guessing that his VP Pence shares those ideas.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:20 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Except for one thing, he is surrounded by hard core Republicans who have been itching to get their hands on SS and Medicare for a very long time, and while I haven't researched it, I'm guessing that his VP Pence shares those ideas.
Pence is pretty conservative, but Trump has said a lot of things that have gone against Pence's traditional conservative beliefs. I'm sure there are plenty of times Pence wondered what in the world he signed up for. I don't see Trump being servile to Pence, Christie, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Right - and he appealed to people who in reality he doesn't give a tinker's damn about just to get their vote. He wouldn't bother to say Hello on the street to the very people that voted for him. This was all a game for him - and to our amazement, he won.
Does Trump really care about the average person? Only he really knows, but he's at least making people think he does.

Quote:
He won two days ago and his victory speech was gracious. The meeting with Obama today went well.

I think a lot of the wild talk on the campaign trail was done to gin up interest, but there is a lot of truth in his core message on trade, security, jobs, etc., that he'll probably follow through on.

The Bush years were pretty ideological and the Obama years more so. Both were ideological men. If Trump is even somewhat pragmatic, I think he can be an excellent President.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:34 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I have 4 yrs to go-- don't touch it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement