Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 11:26 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Medicare reform was going to happen eventually no matter who is elected. Today's program is not viable. For many years, I've had $10K per year penciled in as my best guess for what my individual retiree medical insurance would cost me to get the kind of coverage I'm used to. If you don't have the $1,000/month, you're going to get pretty lousy coverage. That's probably 75% of the late-Boomers. I'm now wondering if I've underestimated the cost? If it's $1,500/month, I'll pay it.

The issues with that plan are what about the people who can't afford that? Are we as a country okay with just accepting that people with money have "good/high quality" health outcomes and everyone else has "bad/poor quality" health outcomes? That used to not be the case, but in today's environment it seems much more acceptable to a majority of citizens.

Further - for young people, they can do some things to adjust their retirement savings to account for that (though it would still be a small % of people that could self fund $18,000 per year in health insurance expenses in retirement) - but what about older persons? Like current medicare recipients? What will they do?

If you start to subsidize the costs for lower-income/savings individuals - it becomes "Welfare" and the 1/2 of the country that is against welfare will also be against those vouchers (just as they are against SNAP and WIC and every other welfare program).

I'm 20+ years away from this affecting me, and I doubt that I'll be able to save enough to offset the destruction of medicare (if that is what ends up happening). Few people make enough to be able to afford to put away $20k+ a year towards retirement expenses. If you have to double that to account for lack of medicare .... that's going to be an impossibility for most folks.

Especially if you add in changes to Social Security. And if they change medicare substantively, there's certainly nothing to stop them from cutting Social Security.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:58 AM

451 posts, read 236,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Good luck to us all. Thanks a whole bunch Trump voters. Trump's picks are scary, downright scary. I used to think that Social Security and perhaps Medicare were the third rail, but no longer. Four years of this administration is going to rip up what little safety nets there are, especially for older people. Privatizing these 2 programs will be a disaster. I cannot even begin to express how disappointed I am and how incredulous I am that the wheels are in motion for huge changes in these programs.

Well....you're welcome. I was a proud Trump voter! I think the future President will minimize corporate regulations and allow companies to thrive again. Here's hoping to a 20,000 DOW by the end of next year!
HEar! HEar!
Attached Thumbnails
Trump's win and your social security-rich-people-evil.jpg  

Old 11-29-2016, 12:12 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
Yep, looks like he's going to try to dismantle the federal government, starting with health insurance and social security, under the guise of "private enterprise can fix everything!" If you can't afford it, too bad. And his followers don't care.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:20 PM

13,071 posts, read 7,505,741 times
OP:
Probably not good. SS, should and must change, as the expectation of current and future recipients must change.

[Retired. Took early SS, asap. Not dependent on SS]

Old 11-29-2016, 12:47 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
OP:
Probably not good. SS, should and must change, as the expectation of current and future recipients must change.

[Retired. Took early SS, asap. Not dependent on SS]
Who was your employer?
Do you have a pension?
Did you completely self-fund your retirement b/c of investmentst and earnings?

Early retirees are typically business owners or govt employees. Which were you?

Old 11-29-2016, 01:27 PM

154 posts, read 535,632 times
In response to Geeo, you are correct, his followers don't care. To wit, note the response from Cruise the World, who only cares about the stock market going up. I mean, who really cares about the environment, affordable health care, I could go on and on. It's truly sickening.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
There are plenty of frightened people who voted for Trump because of fearmongering. The boogeyman is coming to get us - not comprehending that doing so brought in the whole GOP enchilada of dismantle the ACA, Medicare and then SS.

If anyone thinks dismantling Medicare and SS aren't their long-term goals, then you know nothing about these people.

Ironically, the reason they are so gung ho to dismantle Medicare is because by dismantling the ACA they have removed Medicare financial support which has strengthened Medicare. So, under the guise of "Medicare Modernization" they have to HIDE their direct undermining of Medicare by quickly privatizing it (which means eventual elimination) before they get blamed for defunding Medicare. Thus, they kill two birds with one stone - ACA and Medicare - and don't get pilloried for either.

They are sneaky devils.

And the poorest among us - and you know who you are - will be paying the price.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
In response to Geeo, you are correct, his followers don't care. To wit, note the response from Cruise the World, who only cares about the stock market going up. I mean, who really cares about the environment, affordable health care, I could go on and on. It's truly sickening.

I prefer this approach to making excuses.....

It has served me well...........
Attached Thumbnails
Trump's win and your social security-ab1d731cbc258062132b4f9f47f24550.jpg  

Old 11-29-2016, 02:11 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
I prefer this approach to making excuses.....

It has served me well...........
How is your vacation going?

Old 11-29-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How is your vacation going?

Very well....thank you. We are getting ready to leave St. BArts. It was 82 deg here and overcast.

Made sure to return to the ship early as we always have to take a tender back to the ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement