U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 08:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 8,112,623 times

Advertisements

There is little the HOA association can do about it. They can send them notices, fines that are not paid, etc., etc., but they do not have the power to just go down and force them to leave. It has to be done through the courts, and is expensive and time consuming. They probably do not have the funds available to do it through the courts, and would have to access every home a few hundred to get them out through the courts. Those people living there, can get their attorney for free through legal aid. The association is probably waiting for the bank to foreclose the property, and use the power of the court to get them out.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:39 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,871,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I just reread this:

"When the owner moved out he handed his keys to homeless strangers to spite the HOA for enforcing rules with him."

So you do have HOA rules and these rules were enforced. Why are they not being enforced now?

Old 11-11-2016, 09:43 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,871,097 times
Note to myself---

Do NOT buy retirement home in a "community". Get a house on 10+ acres, a couple of dogs, rifle, shotgun, then let at 'em!

Old 11-11-2016, 09:53 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,842,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4patty View Post
Your selective enforcement interests me though, because neighbors are steaming that we have to abide by the rules but squatters don't!
They are not squatters because the legal homeowner gave them rights to use with all the legal rights of occupancy until the Owner of the property or a Court tells them to leave. Whine, moan, complain all you like but they are now your new neighbors and you should be treating them the same as you treat every occupant of any property in the HOA. If your HOA documents are so weak as to allow this conduct, blame yourselves.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:43 AM

4,845 posts, read 4,959,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
They are not squatters because the legal homeowner gave them rights to use with all the legal rights of occupancy until the Owner of the property or a Court tells them to leave. Whine, moan, complain all you like but they are now your new neighbors and you should be treating them the same as you treat every occupant of any property in the HOA. If your HOA documents are so weak as to allow this conduct, blame yourselves.

I wonder what would happen if this situation was in Texas?

Old 11-12-2016, 05:58 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,777,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Note to myself---

Do NOT buy retirement home in a "community". Get a house on 10+ acres, a couple of dogs, rifle, shotgun, then let at 'em!
20+ acres is better, and even more is even better if you can afford it...I could stand some of my neighbors being a little further away. But, yeah, I've never been one for wanting to live with a bunch of 'rules'.

Anywho...as to the OP- I was once hired to remove squatters from a building, but it has to be done by whoever is legally in possession- your HOA can't do it, nor can you or your neighbors. If there are any illegal activities going on, you might be able to get cops involved, but, really, your options are rather limited.

-----------------------------------------------------

Why is it that so much of the 'advice' given here indicates that the givers have totally failed at reading comprehension?

Old 11-12-2016, 09:16 AM

9,266 posts, read 11,842,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I wonder what would happen if this situation was in Texas?
Absolutely nothing different! The property owner has the right to sell, donate, give away, or allow occupants with their property. That is exactly what they did. They gave it to a homeless person. As long as that homeless person is occupying the premise with the permission of the owner, you can't do squat, even in Texas. Do not confuse the rights of the owner with the rules and standards of the community. Even a person paying their mortgage and owns their own home is subject to the rules and regulation of the community.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:30 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,470,900 times
[Thread on same topic by OP opened in the more appropriate Real Estate forum. This one is now closed.]

Squatters in senior communities

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement