U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 06:50 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times

Advertisements

My other half found out that he could check if there were any funds left from his father's civil service pension. The man lived to be 92, but the siblings were awarded about 50K to be split up between the five of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 07:42 PM

394 posts, read 156,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I recently received a letter from a company I worked for over 20 years ago and where I worked I guess about 3+ years and they informed me that I have a pension that I wasn't even aware of. So I can take a pension of $200/mo .when I hit 65 or I can take $21K now in cash. I'm still working so I'm in no rush to make a decision but nice to know that I have money I didn't even know about.

I was also in the military for 4 years and another 3 in the Federal GS service....anyone know if that qualifies me for any type of pensions?
Take the $21K and run. You may have to pay taxes on it, so ask your CPA first. You may die before you get to the rest of it at $200.00 a month X12= to $2,400.00 a year X 10 years =$24K. Decision is yours. Do you feel lucky? That is not a bad pension for only 3 years of work. Nice vacation or food money, LOL.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:14 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I recently received a letter from a company I worked for over 20 years ago and where I worked I guess about 3+ years and they informed me that I have a pension that I wasn't even aware of. So I can take a pension of $200/mo .when I hit 65 or I can take $21K now in cash. I'm still working so I'm in no rush to make a decision but nice to know that I have money I didn't even know about.

I was also in the military for 4 years and another 3 in the Federal GS service....anyone know if that qualifies me for any type of pensions?
No you would have had to have 5 years of federal service. If you did and bought your military time you would have had about 9% of your GS Pay. You do not even come close to anything on the military pension.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:33 AM

1,813 posts, read 1,137,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_S View Post
Did you know that even if the company you worked for years ago went bankrupt that it's pension fund was a separate legal and financial entity and you may have unclaimed pension funds waiting for you?
Examples of companies like this are Enron Corporation, Braniff Airlines, Pillowtex, Fleming Company, and lots of other companies, some went bankrupt some are still around.

You can search by company, state, or name on the website for the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation by going to Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp - PBGC Protects America's Pensions then click on the "Workers and Retiree's" tab and then click on the "Find Unclaimed Pensions" tab.

Look for your name or the names of your former coworkers, even if they are now deceased their is probably still some benefit for their beneficiaries to claim.

[mod cut]
I have some money vested in some type of pension with the State of California from over 20 years ago. I left that job and left the state and from time to time I have tried to look for it online, but, don't know what I am doing. It is a small amount of money, but, it could be much bigger than it was then. Anyone in the know about this type of thing?

Old 05-09-2018, 10:52 AM

13,885 posts, read 25,311,688 times
Thanks! I took a look but no luck for me. And my H did work for Fluor for a while. Probably not long enough.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:35 PM

6,121 posts, read 9,073,863 times
Thank you ! I looked and saw my mom's name on the list with less than $100 in dividends available. Will follow up to get the money, if it doesn't take an arm and a leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or