U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 05:55 PM

60 posts, read 42,584 times

Advertisements

Did you know that even if the company you worked for years ago went bankrupt that it's pension fund was a separate legal and financial entity and you may have unclaimed pension funds waiting for you?
Examples of companies like this are Enron Corporation, Braniff Airlines, Pillowtex, Fleming Company, and lots of other companies, some went bankrupt some are still around.

You can search by company, state, or name on the website for the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation by going to Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp - PBGC Protects America's Pensions then click on the "Workers and Retiree's" tab and then click on the "Find Unclaimed Pensions" tab.

Look for your name or the names of your former coworkers, even if they are now deceased their is probably still some benefit for their beneficiaries to claim.

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 11-12-2016 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: deleted sticky request, does not meet the standard to be made a 'sticky'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 09:50 PM

You can search the PBGC database based on name, company, or State. There are literally thousands of unclaimed pensions that are waiting to be claimed by employee's of companies that went bankrupt and these employee's usually assumed that they lost their pensions which is not true. This is not a Scam and I am not Accepting any money from anyone. Some of the lost pensions include:

Fleming Company = ~2400 pensions unclaimed
Fluor Corporation = ~1100 pensions unclaimed
Enron Corporation = ~600 pensions unclaimed
Braniff Airlines ~ 270 pensions unclaimed
Pillowtex Corporation ~400 pensions unclaimed
Morrison/Knudsen or Knudsen (Idaho) ~ 150 unclaimed pensions
Pintlar Corporation (Idaho) ~90 unclaimed pensions
Sun Valley Corp and Boise Corp ~ 100 unclaimed pensions

You get the idea, search on your State, look for your former employer (or your parents former employer) and see if you can find a match. If you do find a match please look for former coworkers who may also be owed pension money they are unaware of. In most cases even if the person owed the pension has died their may be some benefit for the beneficiaries.

Steve S.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:03 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,440,670 times
I recently received a letter from a company I worked for over 20 years ago and where I worked I guess about 3+ years and they informed me that I have a pension that I wasn't even aware of. So I can take a pension of $200/mo .when I hit 65 or I can take $21K now in cash. I'm still working so I'm in no rush to make a decision but nice to know that I have money I didn't even know about.

I was also in the military for 4 years and another 3 in the Federal GS service....anyone know if that qualifies me for any type of pensions?

Old 11-13-2016, 06:00 AM

2,431 posts, read 3,657,283 times
Some of these pensions may be unclaimed because the employees are still working for subsequent corporate owners.

Morrison-Knudsen was purchased by Washington Group, which was purchased by URS, which was purchased by AECOM, all within the past 20 years.

Fluor Corp became Fluor-Daniels and changed corporate owners again within the past 5 years or so.

I work in the Engineering/Construction industry with a number of AECOM people who started with M-K.

I will share this thread with all of those who are approaching retirement soon.

Thanks for this info!

Old 11-13-2016, 08:53 AM

1,183 posts, read 759,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I recently received a letter from a company I worked for over 20 years ago and where I worked I guess about 3+ years and they informed me that I have a pension that I wasn't even aware of. So I can take a pension of $200/mo .when I hit 65 or I can take $21K now in cash. I'm still working so I'm in no rush to make a decision but nice to know that I have money I didn't even know about.

I was also in the military for 4 years and another 3 in the Federal GS service....anyone know if that qualifies me for any type of pensions?
there's a lot of maybes.

did you buy back your military time?
did you withdraw your contributions when you left the civil service?

Old 11-13-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Some of these pensions may be unclaimed because the employees are still working for subsequent corporate owners.

Morrison-Knudsen was purchased by Washington Group, which was purchased by URS, which was purchased by AECOM, all within the past 20 years.

Fluor Corp became Fluor-Daniels and changed corporate owners again within the past 5 years or so.

I work in the Engineering/Construction industry with a number of AECOM people who started with M-K.

Thanks for this info!

Thanks, please direct people towards the PBGC website, although it's possible that some of these people may still be employed by successor companies I think the majority of them are people who are unaware that they have these lost pensions waiting for them and the PBGC has not been able to successfully locate them.

I tried finding a few of them on Facebook today but it's difficult to know if they are the right people or not. I started a new facebook page called The Lost Pension Project to try to connect to thousands of people with missing pensions but it's challenging. Anyone have any good ideas of how I can find people that worked for now-bankrupt companies? This is a new Winter Hobby of mine and I am just getting started. Steve S.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:32 AM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

Thanks for this info!
Ha, I worked in public transportation with engineering prof svcs agreements, and I lived through all those changes as AECOM swallowed everybody. Lots of paperwork.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:50 AM

13,877 posts, read 25,302,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_S View Post
Thanks, please direct people towards the PBGC website, although it's possible that some of these people may still be employed by successor companies I think the majority of them are people who are unaware that they have these lost pensions waiting for them and the PBGC has not been able to successfully locate them.

I tried finding a few of them on Facebook today but it's difficult to know if they are the right people or not. I started a new facebook page called The Lost Pension Project to try to connect to thousands of people with missing pensions but it's challenging. Anyone have any good ideas of how I can find people that worked for now-bankrupt companies? This is a new Winter Hobby of mine and I am just getting started. Steve S.
What a kind thing to do! Thank you!

Old 11-20-2016, 07:48 AM

I also contacted the law firm in Seattle (of all places) that represented Enron employee's (400 unclaimed pensions) about 15 years ago and asked if they would help locate people using their plantiff records (no response) and I asked the Dallas Morning News and a syndicated business columnist to run articles about the new PBGC website search engine (no response).
I have also been pointing it out to the local "wealth management" firms that try to solicit my business. But so far zero success. It's not as easy to track down people as I thought it would be because so many people have the same exact name and I don't know any demographic data on any of the unclaimed pensions. Probably mostly I am looking for people in their 50's to 70's but those people may not be on social media for me to find.

Anyway you can check out the website and search engine yourself and look for your name or the names of your relatives or friends. Just google Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation, go to their website, click on "workers and retiree's" then click on "find lost pensions" and you can search by name, company name, or State.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:45 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post

if you bought your military time into the civil service yes provided you didn't cash it out already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or